Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old photo(s) with mandolin

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: Old photo(s) with mandolin

Great photos, Lefty! Both of these are priceless. Those of you with better eyes than mine.....what does the folio cover read on the lower picture? ".....Mandolin Method"? Any ID on this? I love the maestro herding the cats along with his violin.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

It says "Yeni Mandolin Metodu" : "The New Mandolin Method", it's a turkish method that continues to exist since then; I have one too. It seems to be the first volume. There are four volumes. Those books don't focus much on technique, as I guess it was thought be be taught by the teacher, they focus on tunes starting from "twinkle twinkle little star" melodies and building up to sonatas. And even the most simple melody like "twinkle twinkle" is a duet.

In fact, I'll add a bit of a story here, feel free to skip ahead:
    Now, until WW1, there was ottoman empire. After the war, however, they said they were going to pretend ottoman didn't exist, accept western values as theirs, and begin to live like one. So, the turkish republic was established.
    This republic was going to be secular, which I agree with. But then, their interpretation of secularism was islamophobia, and they banned almost every practice that had more or less religious symbols in it; the classical and mystical turkish music being one of those. Those musics still were taught by a few individuals, not publicly, and one of those teachers had a student who happens to be my teacher now. I'm very lucky to have been learning these musics and their instruments for the last couple of years.
    Anyway, those musics fading into the dark, it was announced that everybody should better start enjoying western(european) classical music. Public schools started teaching this type of music, pretty much every school that taught music, taught it with the mandolin and flute(recorder) primarily.

Classical western music is one of my favourites. I'm a big fan of mandolin, and I love its sound, but I can't say the same for the policies they followed. Now the mandolin doesn't even exist in turkey. Music stores don't have them, and online stores sell a box they somehow call a mandolin for 10$.

Sorry for the wall of text

Thank you for sharing, Lefty J. Lovely!

Margriet

If any of you would like this as a gift, just give me your address, and I'll have them posted to you.

Quote Originally Posted by vkioulaphides View Post
    That's exactly what we need: more youngsters, playing the mandolin!
    Hah! those youngsters are older than either of us now, Victor!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

True enough. I meant, of course, eventual youngsters ;-)

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Another one from turkey
    WTB celtic style mando w/hard case, w/out wide fretboard

That is a really great and intriging photo! He is discovering and really into it... That is what it is all about. I'll print this one for in the room where I teach. Nice!

Thanks Lefty and greetings,

Alex

Wonderful, and very "close to home"— both literally and figuratively. It SO reminds me of my own childhood! In fact, I have a picture (that, however, I will never post here ;-) of myself, about 4-5 years old, sitting on a favorite aunt's lap at a family gathering, playing a... plastic mandolin. That old photograph is one of my most treasured possessions; displayed on a mahogany buffet, in that aunt's house (now long vacant), it never fails to capture my attention and bring forth a fond recollection, every time I pass by it. (I also had a plastic, multicolor guitar when I was even younger, some 2 years old, but no record of that is left; all that was, of course, during the Paleolithic Era...)

Such pictures are truly worth preserving, especially since they may encourage younger people to take up a plucked instrument. Thanks, Lefty!

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Timmerman View Post
    I'll print this one for in the room where I teach. Nice!

Thanks Lefty and greetings,

Alex
    Yes, thanks a lot Lefty !

Alex, Lefty is so very kind to send these photos to my address, as a gift. Maybe you can wait with printing, with the original the result will be better maybe....

Margriet

Ahem, just so we're clear... I can access the originals of first two pictures I posted only. I too would wish that I could get my hands on the last picture

And, come on guys, it's not even worth mentioning. I just came across a few photos while surfing online, no big deal...
    WTB celtic style mando w/hard case, w/out wide fretboard

Don't be so modest, Lefty....these photos are sesames opening an entire world to some of us. (Imagine some vato in Istanbul pondering a photo of Bill Monroe for the first time.) I can certainly speak for others here who relish hearing/seeing more mandolin related pictures, music, scores, etc. from EAST of the Adriatic. I read Louis Bernieres' "Birds Without Wings" this summer and am quite charged with curiosity about the eastern Mediterranean. As a Brit, Bernieres' take must pale in comparison to local writers (as it does to on-site informants such as you) but he opened the door to many things for me (as does the Evrensel Music blogsite). It's a wonderful world (if we let it be.)

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Nice said, Mick, I agree !
    Margriet

I like old photos that show how the mandolin has long been a part of 'old time' music. This one I recently acquired was sent from Plevna, Kansas, in 1914.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	507.2 KB 
ID:	202269
    Cary Fagan

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cary Fagan For This Useful Post:

Cary, I think the negative must have been flipped otherwise these are four lefty players.

nice to read these 12 year old posts sadly from one of us who died too young.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yeah, the instruments and the way the jackets and shirts are buttoned all suggest a flopped photo. Here's a corrected version.

Name:	Scan.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	202298
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

18. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

I have been collecting photos of musicians for a few decades and posted a lot on this thread along with those of others: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/552-Antique-Photo-of-a-Mandolin-of-the-Day
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

This is one of my favorites. It looks like a prayer to the mandolin gods!

Name:	MandolinGods.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	5.42 MB 
ID:	202336

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neil Gladd For This Useful Post:

I often feel that way just before taking a break
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Ted Heinonen

Here's an old photo that was in my uncle's wallet that was pretty beat up by the time I got to see it. He wouldn't let me borrow it to scan so I did my best with a point and shoot. He died a number of years back and no one seems to know where the photo went as no one fesses up to finding it yet. It was taken some time in the late 20's early 30's in the Automba/Kettle River area of Minnesota. Just south of Duluth. That side of the family settled there in the late 1800's from Finland. The three guys were great uncles of mine known as the "Automba Boys" they played dances in the area and were just local trouble makers too - much to the delight of the local girls.

Name:	Gunnard & Edwin pickin2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	218.2 KB 
ID:	202348

25. The following members say thank you to theinone for this post:

My hunch is that the Uncle in the center was particularly popular with the local girls.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Here's Jimmie Wilson's Cat Fish String Band. There are other photos of them to be found online. Here's a bit on them:

https://sapulpaherald.com/this-week-...he-first-time/

Name:	Catfishstringband.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	243.8 KB 
ID:	206117
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

28. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    Here's Jimmie Wilson's Cat Fish String Band. There are other photos of them to be found online. Here's a bit on them:

https://sapulpaherald.com/this-week-...he-first-time/

Name:	Catfishstringband.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	243.8 KB 
ID:	206117
    Thanks, Ranald! I have the 8X10 promo photo of that band but didn’t know much about them. Here’s a scan of mine.

Name:	7377C2C5-7F09-4E8E-9616-3EE71957DC69.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	206119

I thought I might have posted that one on the thread linked below, but maybe not. I bet there weren’t too many string bands with mandocellos.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Rather than post a bunch of my own again, I refer you to this thread: Antique Photo of a Mandolin of the Day.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Thanks, Ranald! I have the 8X10 promo photo of that band but didn’t know much about them. Here’s a scan of mine.

I thought I might have posted that one on the thread linked below, but maybe not. I bet there weren’t too many string bands with mandocellos.
    Agreed. Post it on the other thread if you want. I was having a hard time finding the proper place to post the picture. This thread isn''t really in the right category.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

I managed to get some tracks from this band on soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/rachel-whitne...social_sharing

Music washes away from the soul the dust of every-day life. Auerbach.
    The rejection of 'the others' is a tragedy of the human being; If it comes from emigrants, an added horror!

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jairo Ramos For This Useful Post: