Thread: Blueridge 40 T Truss Rod? Does yours have one?

Default Blueridge 40 T Truss Rod? Does yours have one?

I have two Blueridge Tenors. They were purchased from different vendors. I keep one tuned GDAE and one CGDA. Last night I just happened to look in the sound hole and saw an Allen wrench type of bolt that appears to be a truss rod adjustment. I looked in the storage compartment of the case and found the Allen wrench that fits it. I looked in the second one and there is no adjustment. Both guitars are 40 T. Anyone know why there is a difference between the two guitars?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP2415.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	62399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP2413.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	62400   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP2412.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	62401  

Default Re: Blueridge 40 T Truss Rod? Does yours have one?

The one without the truss rod is an earlier model. They were always advertised to have a truss rod, but some of the first ones that came over did not. I have one of those. So far no problems but I think I would rather have one with a truss rod in it. I suspect that the lack of a truss rod delayed shipment of the second batch for a while.

Mike Keyes

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyes View Post
    The one without the truss rod is an earlier model. They were always advertised to have a truss rod, but some of the first ones that came over did not. I have one of those. So far no problems but I think I would rather have one with a truss rod in it. I suspect that the lack of a truss rod delayed shipment of the second batch for a while.

Mike Keyes
    Hey thanks, Mike. I had always thought that none of the BR 40 T's had a truss rod. What a pleasant surprise! I also haven't had any problems with the one without the truss rod but wish it had one.

Yeah, that one without the truss rod is going to fold in half. Perhaps you'd like to sell it to me at a big discount ??
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

At the first sign that she is caving in or I can't get good action because it needs the neck to be reset I'll get a hold of you.

Well my O-18T is seventy years old now, lacks a truss rod, and is still going strong. I think with only four strings, the truss rod is kind of unnecessary. Anyway, I would expect to see CF reinforcement largely replace truss rods in the coming years. Who needs an adjustable neck, when you can now build one that won't deform in the first place? Cutting out a big channel in the neck, doesn't seem like a good reinforcement strategy.
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddlehound View Post
    I have two Blueridge Tenors. They were purchased from different vendors. I keep one tuned GDAE and one CGDA. Last night I just happened to look in the sound hole and saw an Allen wrench type of bolt that appears to be a truss rod adjustment. I looked in the storage compartment of the case and found the Allen wrench that fits it. I looked in the second one and there is no adjustment. Both guitars are 40 T. Anyone know why there is a difference between the two guitars?
    So no issues with the one tuned GDAE? What string gauges did you find worked for GDAE tuning? My Blueridge 60T that I purchased a couple months ago came with the truss rod adjustment similar to your photo. I haven't tried changing tuning from CGDA, on the advice of a luthier, who feared that the bridge and bracing might not be sturdy enough.

Mandoannie,

if you compare the D'Addario tenor banjo sets J-63 (82 lb)and J-63i (the Irish set, 77.1 lb)) you will see that the GDAE set has lower tension than the standard set. Assuming the same gauges, then a GDAE set on your tenor guitar will do less damage to the neck.

Your luthier made some bad assumptions.

On my tenor banjo tuned to GDAE (I assume it is tuned exactly the same as a tenor guitar), there is remarkably little tension on the strings. So little in fact that it took me a while to get used to it. I can't imagine, if the neck is decently built with good wood, why a tension rod would be needed.

I am just cynical enough to suspect that a tension rod may invite the builder to use lesser quality wood for the neck. Otherwise why one would be mandatory on an instrument with so little tension?
    Bart McNeil

Sorry... I used the term tension rod when of course I meant truss rod in the above comment.
    Bart McNeil

I just received a Blueridge Tenor BR-40T and mine has a truss rod.