Thread: Old Gibson and what seems to be a Martin, looking for info...

Default Old Gibson and what seems to be a Martin, looking for info...

One of my little piano students comes from a family of mandolin enthusiasts! Apparently her grandfather went around Manhattan pawn shops buying up old instruments, and left two or three to each of his children when he passed away.

I took a look at the instruments she has and I was surprised! One is a pretty Gibson A style and the other is a two-point that has a stamp on the internal wood that says "C.F. Martin & Co." The instruments seem to have original hardware and cases, and are quite playable (the Gibson sounds great!) despite some minor flaws.

Here is a photo album with both instruments. I'd appreciate any info or insight anyone may have. The family is thinking of selling them to help pay for a new piano and as for me I would love to put in the cash to restore them myself, if only just to play at her house.

Here's the album.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gibson..jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	61924  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Old Gibson and what seems to be a Martin, looking for info...

Beautiful! The back on the Martin is glorious. I'm sure you'll get excellent ballpark appraisals here...Almost too bad they are selling them. Those mandolins would make for wonderful family lore generations down the line. Thanks for sharing. Great instruments...I bet the Martin is LOUD. My instructor sometimes plays a vintage Martin and that baby roars!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Shannon,

Other cafe members can tell you a lot about the Gibson; I know a little about the Martin (though others may have more info).

Basic info (from "Martin & Co., a History," by Mike Longworth): It's a Style 20 mandolin, Martin's first carved-top model. These were made between 1929 and 1942. The neck binding was added in 1930, and by 1935 there was a decal on the headstock, which would seem to place yours in the 1930 - 1935 range. There should be a serial number inside that would allow you to date it exactly.

There are a couple of similar style 20s for sale at the moment, one at Elderly instruments
    http://elderly.com/vintage/names/mar...--90U-4485.htm
    that's in pretty rough shape, for $1,200;
    Another, at Player's Vintage Instruments
    http://www.vintageinstruments.com/ph...model20ful.jpg
    in nicer shape for $2,800

Those should give you some idea of the range yours might be worth, depending on its condition. Yours seems from the photos to be in pretty nice shape (though I am not an expert). It does look like the tailpiece cover is a replacement. (Look at the photos of the two for sale to see what the original is like.)

These were made at a time many consider to be Martin's "golden age" of workmanship, and are beautifully constructed.

There are a couple of shops in New York that could give you more info, and could also advise you about the condition. Matt Umanov at Umanov guitars on Bleeker Street, is very knowledgeable about Martin instruments and has expert repair people on his staff. Mandolin Bros. in Staten Island, is another.

Thanks so much for the info, Rob! I'm sure they'll be really happy to hear how much the Martin is going for. If they decide to restore or sell it, I'll probably take it to Carlo Greco or maybe take the trip out to Mandolin Brothers. I've never been there, it might be a great excuse to go look at all their great inventory...

And thanks to you, Ed. I haven't tuned up the Martin and given it a good play because I'm concerned about the slight separation between the binding and the back, but just feeling the fingerboard with strings half-tension makes me think it'll be a joy to play once it's up and ready. The Gibson is loud, has great tone, and even though according to the family it hadn't been opened in over five years, it was still more or less in tune! Incredible.

Rob, I don`t mean to change the subject of the OP but I was in the Air Force with Mike Longworth back in 1957, I went up to the Martin factory to see him some years later and he was on vacation at that time and then I heard he was sick sometime later and just today I googled his name on the internet and found he passed away in 2003, I am saddened by the fact that I never got to see him after those days at Scott AFB, he was a good banjo player also, we had a little band in the A.F. and won a few talent contests on the base....Willie