Thread: Campanella mandolins

Default Campanella mandolins

I am thinking about a Campanella mando but hav never played one. Can anyone tell me how they would compare to a Collings MT2 or a Weber? Do they have a radiused fretboard? How would they sound with Thomastik strings? Finally, Does anyone in the Seattle Portland area have one I could check out?

Sorry about all the questions; thanks for listening.
    Mike in Oly

MT2
    A3
    H2
    RM1

Default Re: Campanella mandolins

Anybody out there?

Hi Mike,

I've got a Campanella Dué. It's been a long time since I've played an MT2 or a Weber so I can't give you that comparison--I live in the middle of nowhere. I can tell you the Campanella I have is an amazing mandolin.

My Campanella has an X braced Englemann top and European maple back and sides. The workmanship is wonderful, the setup is perfect. Mine has a radiused fretboard and a violin style neck finish. It plays like a dream. Tone is clear and bell-like and even up and down the neck. You can caress it for sweet tone, and pound it for cutting Monroeish tone. It's just a joy to play.

I use EXP77 strings. If you're having Joe Campanella Cleary build you the mandolin, I'm sure he can dial in the tone you're looking for. I'm sure he can also voice it for Thomastik strings if that's what you want. He's definitely on to something with the violin-style overhanging plates and his overall approach to building. Joe will give you one of the best mando/buck ratios out there today.

If you want to hear the Campanella in a bluegrass trio setting, check out the Sons of Others link below. If you want to know what mandolins I'm comparing it to, check out the Hillbilly Chamber Music link. There's also a couple videos at my youtube channel under manomando09.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions about my Campanella for you.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Hey Mike!
    I also have a Campanella mandolin, an A5 with red spruce top (parallell tone bars), red maple back and hard maple sides and neck (I'm not 100% sure about the sides and neck but almost). I'm very pleased with this instrument, even though it's not a year old yet (I got it last November).

Mine is voiced for a quick bluegrass attack with plenty of mid range. And it's just great. I have not recorded much with it yet, but here are two videos I made when it was brand new:

Here is a link to a thread with my review after recieving it (as well as building pictures).

I've had it longer now and it keeps getting better. The tone is strong, clear but still complex with a little 'chirp' in there as well.

I highly recommend Joes mandolins! He is also a great guy to work with and was dead on schedule in regards to delivery. You can't do better in my opinion.

Sounds great, Jonas. I found a couple of my videos so you don't have to go searching on YouTube. Who has time for that?

2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic