Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unusual Pick

Default Unusual Pick

Found this pick in a box of old picks. It has a very faint stamp saying "Pat. April 23, 1918." I looked at patents from that date, but couldn't find anything. The round wires on either side are very springy, and my best guess is that it was meant for tremulo. Could it be a "true" mandolin pick?
    Has anybody got any more information about these? I've never seen another one, but perhaps they're as common as pig tracks.
    George
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1310..jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	61698   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1313..jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	61699  

Default Re: Unusual Pick

According to "Picks!" by Will Hoover it looks like a pick patented by Aaron Burdwise in 1918. The patent was applied for in '17. The wire is to simply keep the pick from sliding around in your fingers. Pretty entertaining little book if you get a chance to thumb through one.

Steve
    Oregon
    Last edited by whyner; Aug-12-2010 at 8:25pm. Reason: spelling

Well further reading it was advertised as a "Pick for Stringed Instruments" and made of made of genuine celluloid. Considering when it came out it sure should be a "true" Mandolin pick! I would think it's pretty unusual to see one complete and in such pretty shape.

Steve
    Oregon

George: That is unusual and probably rare. Have you tried playing with it? I imagine it might take some doing. I posted some old catalog pages on this thread. I haven;t seen any catalogs with that pick in it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim: Great pictures from your catalog. Number 838 looks like a dead ringer for my pick. I have tried playing with it, and it feels very awkward. It takes quite a bit of pressure to squeeze the wires enough to actually grip the pick itself. With less pressure the pick is free to move slightly. It seems to me to have been designed to make tremulo easier.

Steve: Thanks for the further info.

George

You are right, George. I didn't look closely enough for #838. Hah!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Alden, Minnesota, 12 miles west of where I-90 and I-35 cross in Southern, Minnesota

I think that I remember seeing one with my grandmother's bowl back when I was a small child, back in the early '50's. Like her other picks, I probably destroyed that one, too. I think that I saw my dad using it, tho.
    "Put your hands to the wood
    Touch the music put there by the summer sun and wind
    The rhythms of the rain, locked within the rings
    And let your fingers find The Music in the Wood."
    Joe Grant and Al Parrish (chorus from The Music in the Wood)

Here is the patent from 1917:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1263740_AAEON_BUEDWISE..pdf  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Could this possibly be the mandolin that would go with this pick?
    Burdwise mandolin
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Hey Jim,
    Great information in that patent application. Guess that shoots my theory about the tremulo, though. Fascinating research about the Burdwise mandolin. It can't be that common a name, and there's bound to be a connection. Thanks again,
    George

I don't see how those wires would help with tremolo.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

As you grip the pick by the wires, the pick itself has some leeway to move up and down between the wires. This produces an effect as though the pick were much softer. I have always thought that tremulo was easier with a softer pick. It is a moot point since that apparently wasn't the intent.
    George

Nah, tremolo is easier with a stiffer pick. I would think that if the pick could float around between the coils of wire it would actually hinder tremolo due to its taking so long to actually pluck the note compared to the instant you hit the string with the pick. Now if the coils actually produced an opposite directional thrust it might help tremolo.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Blog Entries

looks like a fishing lure to me.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Really, but no hook, and no way to tie it to a line. And what would you catch with it - PAS-sufferers?

Odd that the pick has leeway as you say, George. The rings are supposed to provide extra grip, clearly stated in the patent application.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by 300win View Post
    looks like a fishing lure to me.
    I was thinking the same.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Really, but no hook, and no way to tie it to a line. And what would you catch with it - PAS-sufferers?

Odd that the pick has leeway as you say, George. The rings are supposed to provide extra grip, clearly stated in the patent application.
    only fish that aspire to play some kind of stringed instrument

Or a Pickeral.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

19. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 300win View Post
    only fish that aspire to play some kind of stringed instrument
    That doesn't narrow it down enough. All fish have scales ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    That doesn't narrow it down enough. All fish have scales ...
    yea !

Ain't this a great site?

Another pic from the book.

Hi Everyone!

Sorry this response is years late but I am the Great Granddaughter of Mr. Aaaron Burdwise and wanted to share more info (including links to interviews with him in trade journals) about his company and invention. I too am curious what instrument exactly he had in mind for use via the pick so if you figure it out, let me know!

Warmly,

Aimee

Bio and Background:
    Mr. Aaron Burdwise was an innovator of instruments / parts and a wholesale instrument dealer -- his company had over 100 staff, five Baltimore shop locations, and a traveling salesforce that sold / delivered his merchandise across the USA (circa 1900-1930). His career began in the late 1800s, traveling on behalf of a Russian musical merchandise company at the age of 18 (in what is now the Ukraine), before immigrating to the USA. From what we know, his original surname (Tabachnikov) is associated with Jewish musical instrument tradespeople in the Ukraine, going further back than can be traced.

Mr. Burdwise not only produced his own company label instruments -- he also sold other brands of merchandise from popular companies at the time. He sold every type of instrument under the sun, including small parts and record players. He was considered an expert in his trade and was frequently interviewed on market and merchandise conditions in music trade journals.

Additionally, he first patented the "Burdwise" Wire-Looped Pick in 1917, (second patent ever issued for a pick in US history) and in modern times, is best known for this invention. He also patented other instruments / instrument parts and was a composer who copyrighted several songs. He was one of the first Americans post WWI to travel to Europe to asses the music instrument market conditions.

Mr. Burdwise's family is in the process of submitting more detail on his life's work to musical instrument history museums, including the NAMM (National Association of Musical Merchandise) archives.

LINKS:
    BURDWISE PICK

Andy Summers (The Police) considered him one of the architects of the plectrum: ARCHITECTS—Ancient Egyptians ancient Chinese the Moors Carolyn M. Cochrane Frederick Wahl Aaron Burdwise Richard Carpenter Thomas Towner Luigi D’Andrea Jim Dunlop Joseph Moshay John Pearse Shojii Nakano - See more at: http://andysummers.com/writing/books....wnsR5jyW.dpuf

Will Hoover, leading historian on picks and pick collecting references him in an article for Pick Collecting Quarterly: http://pickcollecting.presspublisher...25-09-12-04-00

OTHER LINKS FROM TIME OF BUSINESS OPERATION
    (Music Trade Journal Interviews and Coverage):

Bright Future For US Goods - A. Burdwise Predicts (With Headshot)
    http://mtr.arcade-museum.com/MTR-191...9-68-17-70.pdf

A. Burdwise Finds Things Normal Abroad
    http://mtr.arcade-museum.com/MTR-192...26-83-7-27.pdf

Burdwise Staff Meets
    http://mtr.arcade-museum.com/MTR-192...20-71-6-30.pdf

A. Burdwise Off To Europe To Visit Foreign Markets
    http://mtr.arcade-museum.com/MTR-192...6-82-20-34.pdf

New Burdwise Building Opening (plus Burdwise ad below)
    http://mtr.arcade-museum.com/MTR-191...19-69-1-51.pdf

Jonathan Burdwise Joins Father In Business
    http://mtr.arcade-museum.com/MTR-192...6-82-15-35.pdf

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to A.Ellis-Burdwise For This Useful Post:

Aimee,

Thank you so much for sharing this information with us.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Aimee, how kind of you to come into the conversation! Thank you so much.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett