Thread: Mandolin Picker's Guide to Improv- Social Group?

Default Mandolin Picker's Guide to Improv- Social Group?

A friend and I are talking about working through the book. Would anyone be interested in doing it in the social group "Song A Week" style... a chapter every two weeks (for 1 year) with entries (video optional)?

Default Re: Mandolin Picker's Guide to Improv- Social Group?

I am working on that book too, and like its approach. I don't want to do a social group, but I encourage you and your friend to stick with it. I think it is a book that is worth studying every page.

I'm not sure that's really the best way to go about the book. Everyone could have their own take on how they want to learn from it. Some of the licks just aren't very interesting but nonetheless illustrate a concept, while there are many cool licks and phrases that I've worked to commit to memory, transpose in diferent keys, and replicate farther up the neck. Some folks may want to spend a lot of time on certain exercises, while others may feel liike they got what they needed from them very quickly and want to move on. Also, the "chapters" are sort've ill-defined. Personally, I really love this book and am enjoying working my way through it very slowly but I think every person who takes the time to really work at the book will find that they proceed through it in diferent ways and at diferent speeds.

I asked a similar question a while back (not about that book particularly) but just making up breaks to songs in general. I did not feel like there was enough interest to merit yet another social group (but there was some interested) and so I resolved to use the song a week or this forum.

I don't want to work through the book but am always interested in working out breaks. I have found the song a week group to be very helpful to my development. I especially like seeing how folks close to my own ability do things because I find it easier to learn little steps rather than be overwhelmed by people who are very good musicians.