Thread: new tunes I found yesterday:

Blog Entries

Default new tunes I found yesterday:

Sitting around yesterday with my mando just doodling. Got in my head some Civil War tunes, some of which I already knew, but some others I'd never tried to get before. They were; The Campbells Are Coming, The Girl I left Behind Me, The Bonnie Blue Flag, The Battle Cry Of Freedom, and Dixie all in the key of D, others were When Johnny Comes Marching Home in A minor, and the last one which I had never tried before , and was the most difficult one to play but fun to actually learn it, The Star Spangled Banner in the key of G. Any of the rest of you enjoy playing stuff like this ? I mostly play Bluegrass, but enjoy picking stuff like this, plus Scots/Irish tunes and Old Tyme fiddle tunes. I also try my hand at picking theme songs from movies, old t.v. shows, such as, the theme from the t.v. show Daniel Boone, the Walt Disney produced Davy Crockett, the tv western The Virginian, the tv show Green acres, t.v. show The Waltons, tv show The Andy Griffith, plus many music themes from movies. All of this is stuff you probably would not play much at all except just fooling around with your mandolin, but I've found it a good way to learn some differant riffs that are unique in themselves, plus they help out in learning chord progressions etc. that are much differant from quite a bit of standard Bluegrass picking. Any of you do anything similar ? If not it might be something you would find fun to do, if you can hear it in your head and play by ear, you might find it fun to do.

Default Re: new tunes I found yesterday:

300win, In my band we do "Have Someone Play Dixie For Me", "Loreena" and of course "The Rebel soldier"...We do a singing version of "God Bless America" and the kick the speed up and play it instrumentally and it seems to go over real good with the crowds...I find that a lot of older songs that we first hear as kids and don`t hear much anymore seem to do good if they are worked up right, like "Aunt Dinahs Quilting Party" and "Coming Around The Mountain"( recorded by J.D.Crow as "Cackling Hen") depends on the band members and how talented they are of course....some good songs in your list....Willie

Default Re: new tunes I found yesterday:

I like tunes from the Civil War era, there is a lot of good stuff there. Marching Through Georgia, The Vacant Chair, Battle Hymn Of The Republic, The Battle Cry Of Freedom, Follow The Drinking Gourd, Rosin The Bow, many others including all you mentioned.