Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who out there taught themselves to play the mandolin

Default Who out there taught themselves to play the mandolin

I love bluegrass..went to the Hollin's University College Fiddlefest this past weekend and loved it..my youngest son bought him a banjo about a month ago and is learning to play it and he wanted me to get a madolin to play with him..well the thing is i don't have a clue on how to play one..i have been watching videos on different websites to see how it is done..anyone out there with some advice on any good dvds or website i should go to for some help on learning..or if you have any materail that you no longer need and want to get rid of it and can send it through the mail please let me know and i will pay for shipping or whatever..i wish i could afford to pay to take madolin lessons but it is not possible right now..but anyway any response would be great..
    Last edited by Foggybranchgal; Aug-04-2010 at 10:59am.

Default Re: Who out there taught themselves to play the madolin

I taught myself many years ago, but I already played guitar & bass at the time. I actually thought it was an easy transition.

There's lots of good instructional books like Jack Tottle's "Bluegrass Mandolin". It's also good to watch as many other bluegrass mandolinists as possible; if you can. Shouldn't be too rough in Virginia.

Also, it's maNdolin, with an "n".

Taught myself, or at least I learned by copying what an old time fiddle player was doing.

Beck
    1993 Flatiron F5 Master
    2003 Randy Wood A5 2 Pointer

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
    -- The Webb Wilder Credo --

I taught myself and soon after, found Homespun Tapes and Acutab, Mandolin Cafe, Mandozine etc. and continue to use those resources in addition to You Tube and DVDs of workshops and concerts.

I got a mandolin for my wedding anniversary from my wife one year. I accidently played a G chord just strumming it when I first got it. Then I went online and typed in mandolin chords. I pulled up a site that had "two finger mandolin chords". Then I was on my way.

I did the same thing with banjo. I held a G chord (as you would on a guitar) and actually found out that it was a C chord on banjo. My banjo is tuned to open G. So then I knew 2 chords. Then I went to the net again for chords.

I also drew big charts on poster board to hang on my wall while learning.

Whistling along with with the guitar wasn't working out in jams, none to be found anyhow,
    so I taught my fingers to make the tunes I heard in my head.

Still hasn't risen my popularity much better than a 'being lousy at sports' level. but ...

Spending a lot of time alone, 30 years later the head to fingers circuits are adequate to play melodies,
    however imperfect the replication may be, that I can get into my head.

And can manage to play by ear , improv on the stuff my friends are playing , after hearing it a couple times..
    particularly the common, '3 chords and the truth', I, IV, V, stuff...
    Last edited by mandroid; Aug-04-2010 at 11:13am.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

OMG!! Sorry..i do know how to spell..Mandolin!!!!!

Hi~

My first question is: do you have a cassette tape player? Such an old school device I had to ask Second: do you have a lot of patience?

I taught myself to play using a set of Sam Bush Bluegrass Mandolin tapes. He does a great job teaching. He starts with beginner step by step info, then moves to more advanced tunes and techniques. For me, this helped me to get started but I still continue to add new books to learning library.

There are lots of great books out there that will help you and your son grow as players. Youtube also has mandolin lessons and videos that add the visual part to learning. This will also give you a look at different players and teaching styles.

I do have an extra Sam Bus book and could also send you the tapes.

Let me know....
    Patty

I taught myself to play mandolin. Or I guess I should say I am teaching myself to play the mandolin. Like probably everyone who has ever started mandolin I began by strumming two finger G, C, and D chords and picking out simple fiddle tune melodies. One tool that I used a ton early on, and stilll now, is Youtube. Lots of really good instruction-type videos to be found. I seem to remember Anthony Hannigan and Brad Laird videos were really good for beginner stuff. After a few months when you start to get a feel for playing tunes, you can find videos of people playing stuff that you like and watching their fingers, trying to pick out what you see them play. Also Kevin Briggs has some excellent videos that cover a pretty wide range of difficulties. His Youtube user name is ktbriggs if you want to do a search for his stuff (and I recommend you do!).

Hi again~

I just found the Sam Bush Bluegrass Mandolin on the Homespun site. It looks the same but is formatted on cd. I would recommend this because it would be easier to locate tracks you're working on. It's $60 and I would think this would be well worth the money. Just my opinion

Have fun!
    Patty

I started teaching myself to play when I was about thirteen, using a Ray Valla (I think...) book on mandolin. I started out learning fiddle tunes from tab, tunes that I knew my dad played on guitar, and before long I was being included in jams and the like. Once I had been playing for a little while I was introduced to Homespun Videos where I picked up the Chris Thile and Ronnie McCoury tapes and David Grisman book and CDs. These were all very helpful, but would highly recommend trying to learn things by ear as well. It really is an invaluable skill, especially when you're playing with other people.

Lots of threads on this topic. I'd recomend Greg Horne's beginning mandolin book.

You guys have been great..Thanks for all of the information..keep them coming..i am excited about getting started..my mandolin should be here Thurs. or Fri..i hope..trying to get some things in order so i can get started..i do have alot of time and patience...

What kind of mandolin are you getting? Manufacturer? Model?

I'm pretty sure you can get lessons via skype; I taught myself using a Mel Bay Learn the Mandolin book (way back before computers) for basic stuff like melody lines and reading music (which I'd recommend learning if you can). Lessons are great for getting someone to tell you everything you've done for the past decade is wrong (!), so I'd keep a close eye on how people hold their instrument, how they hold the pick and how they strum (up down up down) when you're learning so you don't have to relearn the correct way later.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Blog Entries

Congratulations on your new mandolin!

I'll second the recommendation of Greg Horne's fine book. Also, be sure to check with your local library to see if they have any learning resources available. Also, you might want to contact the College where you saw the Fiddlefest. There are probably folks on the faculty there who can suggest music groups and organizations for beginning players.

FYI, there are two things that have really helped me since I started playing back in March:
    * Play with other musicians as often as you can.
    * Consider taking a few lessons. If you can find a good instructor, even a few lessons will pay substantial benefits.

Enjoy the journey! (P.S.: Do let us know what kind of mandolin you're getting)

Here's another enthusiastic vote for Jack Tottle's book "Bluegrass Mandolin." I bought my copy 26 years ago (when it came with a very thin plastic 33.3 rpm record) and I still crack it open on a regular basis. (Lost the record years ago.) Have fun and remember: Practice makes something.
    Jethro lives! (Tiny, too!)

Quote Originally Posted by Foggybranchgal View Post
    OMG!! Sorry..i do know how to spell..Mandolin!!!!!
    I fixed the title for you.

Default Re: Who out there taught themselves to play the mandolin

Thank You for fixing my N in mandolin..

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Ditto the Greg Horne book. (Actually, books; he also has a similar-looking Intermediate one. And the third in the series is by Wayne Fugate).

But be aware... Mandolin is more like violin left-hand technique than it is like guitar: the tuning, the hand position, the "fretting", so to speak. My two prior beginner books never specifically stated that, on mando, each finger covers TWO frets, quite unlike guitar. That sure would have avoided some confused muddling about!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

I have never played a stringed instrument before..so everything is new to me..i did play a trumpet in my middle school days but that was way back then..and i do know that a mandolin and trumpet are totally different in more ways then one..but i am going to watch some videos and read all i can about the manolin because i know nothing about this instrument..so all of the information that you guys are sending me is wonderful and so helpful..i will let you all know about my progress..

Blog Entries

Since you're new to playing a stringed instrument, I would recommend watching Mike Marshall's short video On Mandolin Tips.

He offers good advice on how to hold the instrument and position one's hands while playing. It's very beneficial to begin with a focus on good technique so you don't have to unlearn bad habits down the road (BTDT )

I played coronet then the baritone in school. Got a guitar for Christmas 1970. Ya know the kind with strings 1/2 inch from the frets. Didn't play anything till 1982 while on strike and being a stay at home dad for 7 months. My father-in-law loaned me a 1940 Martin guitar to learn on, (still have it. Still learnin' don'tcha know) . During an 18 month strike in the late '90s learned more and tried a mando but gave it away. In 2000 after suggesting to the band leader at church that a mandolin would sound good with a song they were singing. I bought one that a friend had made from a kit and started teaching myself. Leader gave me 5 songs he thought I could play with them. Been playing almost every Sunday since.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
    Since you're new to playing a stringed instrument, I would recommend watching Mike Marshall's short video On Mandolin Tips.

He offers good advice on how to hold the instrument and position one's hands while playing. It's very beneficial to begin with a focus on good technique so you don't have to unlearn bad habits down the road (BTDT )
    Yeah, that's a good idea. Truthfully, the best thing for a true beginner would probably be to sit through Marshall's first Fundamentals DVD and then start on the Horne books. Mike goes into really thorough detail about very basic things like holding the mandolin and fretting a course...really basic but obviously pretty important. As I recall, there isn't much in the video in terms of actually "playing" but it's a great resource to lay the groundwork for "musical" things like scales, chords, licks, and songs.

I did... and it shows...