Thread: Interesting tidbits from old British mandolin method book

Default Interesting tidbits from old British mandolin method book

I got a copy of How to Play the Mandoline by G.G. Glen Turriff in the case of a De Meglio clone. Circa 1900, I think. Selling for sixpence originally, the method is nothing out of the ordinary, but of interest is that the author specifically recommends other methods and also mandolins.

For methods, he recommends Christofaro and also Bellenghi (whom I have not heard of before), although he does note these are quite costly for the average student at 2 and 5 shillings, respectively.

Here's a passage on choosing a mandolin:

"The novice, if he is unable to test the tone of a mandoline for himself, and if he cannot get a expert to do it for him, must simply trust to the honour of the dealer; but if the instrument is from the hands of makers such as Vinaccia, Salvino, Ricci, or De Meglio - names that are as "Strad" to the violinist- he may rest assured that he has a satisfactory instrument, at least, though what profit the dealer takes out of it is another question. It is perhaps small comfort to him to know that it is better to have paid too much for a fairly good instrument than to have paid little for a bad one. The writer has no interest in naming the above firms further than that he seen instruments from all four, and they are certainly as satisfactory as any. In concluding, it may be said that a fairly good mandoline can be had for about ₤ 2; but if the student can afford twice that sum, by all means get a dearer, always preferring one with as little inlay as possible."

Blog Entries

Default Re: Interesting tidbits from old British mandolin method book

Quote Originally Posted by Schlegel View Post
    ...snip...
    Here's a passage on choosing a mandolin:...snip...
    "...it is better to have paid too much for a fairly good instrument than to have paid little for a bad one...."
    This phrase alone is worth whatever you paid for the book.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

What fun, Schlegel. You can almost hear the accent in text. Note his advice viz bling.

Does anyone have examples of Salvino or (Luigi?) Ricci to post. They are missing from my archive.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I know I have a few photos of Luigi Ricci and probably have Salvino as well. Interesting, that the author mentions them in the same breath as Vinaccia. I know that DeMeglio must have been imported to the UK in boatloads, but was not aware that those other two were in any quantity.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hello Schlegel,

You are making me feel very old. That was my first tutor book which I bought "new" for sixpence. I hope that you see he was the Conductor of the Aberdeen Mandoline Band. In this little book he goes into great length as to how to hold the bowlback instrument and you will see how he shows how to play both seated and standing. He also wrote another book "Elementary Tutor for the Mandoline" (Specially suited for self Instruction) price ninepence.
    Regards,
    Henry

I will try and post a couple of photos from the book to show G.G.Glen Turriff in action.

Not sure if I've done this right, as it says attachments, but lets try.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turriff 001..jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	61434   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turriff..jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	61435  
    Regards,
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I know I have a few photos of Luigi Ricci and probably have Salvino as well. Interesting, that the author mentions them in the same breath as Vinaccia. I know that DeMeglio must have been imported to the UK in boatloads, but was not aware that those other two were in any quantity.
    There was a Salvino for sale at Christie's some time back, alas with no photo. But their description of the label included 'Allievi di Vinaccia'. I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Turriff protesteth too much in his claims of 'no financial interest' particularly from this period in musical history. I don't think that Gibson or Lyon and Healy pulled their business models out of thin air. Anyhow the Christies' Salvino sounded quite nice. Jim, Luigi Ricci not Luigi Ricca, right? I look forward to seeing one of those.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

A. Salvino & Comp.... allievi dei Fratelli Vinaccia. Here are two, first from 1901.

Name:	DSC00825..jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	61447   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00814..jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	61448   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00866..jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	61449  

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

This one marked 1897.

Name:	1128133647659_mandolino3..jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	61451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1125607590981_mandolino4..jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	61452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1129008821550_mandolino5..jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	61453  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1126371052240_mandolino1..jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	61454   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1125555325368_mandolino2..jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	61455  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Here are a few Luigi Riccis.

Name:	e3_3..jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	61456   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e1_3..jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	61457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ce_1..jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	61458  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bf_3..jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	61459   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	db_1..jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	61460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6a_3..jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	61461  

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Excellent, Jim. Piazza Cavour on the Ricci label....that is no dark waterfront vico. The '97 Salvino is very interesting. It seems rather stubby in proportions. Or is it the photos? The soundholes seem oddly placed with the bridge north of them. Doesn't seem to be enough room for a bridge between them and the cant as with contemporary Calaces. What a comprehensive thread....

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Yes, Mick. that is a little odd but we have always thought that those holes were a little odd, right?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Not the holes themselves, but their location. Okay, well, maybe the holes. Anyhow, take a look at their position on a few Calaces from this era and let me know what you think. These almost look like they were put in after market. Or else this is one weird mandolin. But I guess we've seen more than a few of those. Would make one wonder about Mr. Turriff's advice, however. Or his commission.....

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Hope you don't mind if I add the Salvino to my site Jim, haven't come across photos of his before...... how many others do you have that I don't I wonder??!!

Dave
    No such thing as a dead mandolin!

www.mandolinluthier.com
    www.crumbles.info
    Facebook: search Dave Hynds ... its me with the mandolin!!

I would also think that the holes on the Salvino were aftermarket additions -- I've never seen them on a Vinaccia-style mandolin, and I've never seen them on a pre-1910 instrument. In addition, as Mick has already said, they are placed precisely where the bridge should be, and they are not parallel: the right one is closer to the cant.

The Ricci ones look like bog-standard massmarket mandolins, which does not sit well with the prestigious address. I suspect that Ricci may have been the house brand of a large music emporium (or possibly even a department store) at that address, rather than an actual mandolin maker.

Martin

The ce_1 looks familiar. Jim, do you have any info on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Plamen Ivanov View Post
    The ce_1 looks familiar. Jim, do you have any info on it?
    These were from 3 or 4 years ago on eBay. I can check my files to see if I saved any text info.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

May be I'm wrong, but for some reason it reminds me of our good friend Eugene. I think it used to belong to him at least for a certain period of time. But once again, i might be wrong...

Thanks, Jim!

Actually, Plami, I don't recall Eugene ever owning any Italian-made mandolins, but of course, I could be wrong on that point.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Plamen Ivanov View Post
    May be I'm wrong, but for some reason it reminds me of our good friend Eugene. I think it used to belong to him at least for a certain period of time. But once again, i might be wrong...

Thanks, Jim!
    Nice to be reminded of Bro' Eug in any event, Plami. Thanks for that.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

wild guess on the holes - could they reflect a modification along these lines?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gdulka-bow_copy.jpg

experiment - trying to see if i have the image attachment thing right:

Name:	gadu13stTTTTTTTTT.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	61494  

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Girvan View Post
    Hello Schlegel,

You are making me feel very old. That was my first tutor book which I bought "new" for sixpence. I hope that you see he was the Conductor of the Aberdeen Mandoline Band. In this little book he goes into great length as to how to hold the bowlback instrument and you will see how he shows how to play both seated and standing. He also wrote another book "Elementary Tutor for the Mandoline" (Specially suited for self Instruction) price ninepence.
    Sorry

Actually, the position advice was better than the average manual, I must say.

Gadulka?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Gadulka?
    Right!

And you were also right about the ce_1. Here is what Eugene said: "Nope, this one is not mine, but it is similar to a 1915 C.F. Martin & Co. style 2 mandolin I used to own...and it is on a green sheet similar to that I often use as a backdrop in photographing instruments."