Thread: Classical Mandolin in Colleges

Default Classical Mandolin in Colleges

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any college music programs that offer classical mandolin study. I know there are some with bluegrass programs, but do any of them have classical mandolin as well?

Default Re: Classical Mandolin in Colleges

There are a number all over the world. Which country are you after?

Well I live in America, in Wisconsin, so preferably somewhere over here.

Marilynn Mair is a music professor at Roger Williams College near Providence RI. In the USA, I am not aware of a better opportunity for a mandolin player to major in mandolin and get a world class mandolin instructor as well. It's a very nice Liberal Arts College on Narragansett Bay.

http://www.newschool.edu/mannes/facu...aspx?mid=31088

The Mannes College of Music is The New School University's music conservatory. It is located in New York City, on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.
    Last edited by joebrent; Aug-07-2010 at 12:01am.

mandotopia, i don't believe Ms. Mair teaches mandolin at Roger Williams College nor is mandolin instruction available through the university, but I may be wrong? But she is on the music faculty and teaches other music classes. To the OP, as you can see classical mandolin is not generally an accepted instrument for study at American universities. Some players go to Europe, where it is a possibility. Also, contact Joe Brent. See above post.

Mandolin virtuoso Michael Hooper is a Lecture in Music (Postgraduate Studies) at the Royal College of Music in London UK. He has had more works written for him than any mandolinist of his generation - always a good sign. BUT I am not sure whether he teaches undergaduates at this institution. Anyone who wishes to do advanced -or any- studies on Mandolin should consider contacting him; I doubt you could get better!

His web address is:
    www.hoopermusic.com

Hello,

I recommend you look into Trinity College of Music, London. They have a BMus, MMus and post-graduate courses. The college is located in Greenwich, London right on the Thames river. The college is in an old King Charles palace; outside is old world while the inside is contemporary architecture. The mandolin is treated on the same level as all orchestral instruments. You will have the opportunity to perform in many different ensembles with various instrument combinations. The artistic staff is very caring and supportive. Alison Stephens is the principle study professor. You will also have the opportunity to study with other professionals. I studyied with Nigel Woodhouse, Francis Taylor and Caterina Litchenberg. Travis Finch, who just graduated from TCM, studied with completely different professionals. Trinity College of Music, London is really the best conservatory if you are interested in making this your profession. (IMHO) They prepare you all the variables that you will encounter in the music profession. Good luck with your search.

FYI - Here is the link: http://www.tcm.ac.uk

Chris.....

Mandobuzz, you are correct; Marilynn Mair teaches Music Appreciation and other Music Survey courses at Roger Williams. There is not a Music Major program there, which is too bad. She is a phenominal teacher. Will Ayton, a wonderful viola da gamba player, also teacher there as well.
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer