Thread: Bitteroot A, Gibson A-9, Collings MT

Default Bitteroot A, Gibson A-9, Collings MT

This is the question for me. I have a chance to get any one of them for about the same price and I have no idea which to go with. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Bitteroot A, Gibson A-9, Collings MT

Well... I'll state the obvious. Play all three and pick the one you like the best.

Would love too, but the issue is that they are all spread far and wide. Only one is local.

This is a hard problem, not being local. I would say, try to listen to all three, even if only on youtube. Perhaps more importantly (because they are all three very good, albeit different) though, try play mandolins with similar shaped necks and fretboards. What kind of nut width, neck shape do you like? Do you like radiused or not? Even if you are trying different mandolins you can ask yourself questions like -- would I rather the neck be more v shaped than this one (or more rounded)? See what you are feeling and wishing for as you play what you can manage to play. I played a bunch of very nice mandolins, some much more expensive than I could afford, and I kept on finding myself coming back to a certain feel and shape, so that is what I went with,

Collings MT. I have never played a bad one.
    08' Gibson Fern
    1964 Martin D-18
    www.potterswheelgospel.com

I would say go for either the Weber or the Collings. Possible edge to the Collings on resale value, but they're really pretty comparable.

Since you're not able to play them in advance I'll throw out a couple of things based on my experience. The Bitterroot has possibly a more woody/earthy tone, while the Collings is a bit brighter and perhaps punchier (and so better able to cut through at a jam session). Also, Collings necks tend to have a pronounced "V" at the back, while the Weber necks have more of a "U" feel.

These are subtle differences. I think you'd be getting an excellent instrument, whichever way you decide to go.

You guys gave me some great information. I had a V-shaped neck before and it almost hurt me a but to play, perhaps I was playing it incorrectly, but it was a bit tough to play for me. I have fairly large hands so a little bigger neck is generally better for me. I am going to play the COllings MT this week, so I should get a feel for the neck soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Hart View Post
    Collings MT. I have never played a bad one.
    I've never played a "bad" Weber either, or Gibson for that matter. They're all just different. In contrast to the widely held opinion on the Cafe, I will say the one MT I've played wasn't up to my expectations at all, given the glowing reviews they've received. It was a dog compared to the Collings MF-5 that was hanging in the shop on the same day.

I'll throw in my vote. I've played MT's and A9"s, but I have only played a Bitterroot F-style. If it were my money, I would have chosen any of the MT's over the Gibsons or the Weber. And I would have picked the Gibsons over the Weber. Good luck with your choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff May View Post
    I've never played a "bad" Weber either, or Gibson for that matter. They're all just different. In contrast to the widely held opinion on the Cafe, I will say the one MT I've played wasn't up to my expectations at all, given the glowing reviews they've received. It was a dog compared to the Collings MF-5 that was hanging in the shop on the same day.
    No disrespect meant to either of the other makers mentioned. I have never played a Weber and I own a Gibson.I was just giving my opinion based on the models he asked about. Hmmmmm.....a short straight forward answer...what a concept!
    08' Gibson Fern
    1964 Martin D-18
    www.potterswheelgospel.com