Thread: share your setup

Default share your setup

live setup, that is. i sing into a beta57a and mic my mandolin with a shure sm57. thinking about getting an lr baggs radius, and an ultrasound ag30. i also play guitar and banjo and will run them into a morley abc selector. thoughts? share your setup!

Default Re: share your setup

Real Basic :
    Schertler DynM [Contact dynamic transducer/Mic] into Roland AC-60. Mic channel.
    and/or 4 string [CGDA tuned]electric with magnetic stacked coil humbucking type into Other channel .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Two setups depending on the size of the gig. This is for a "Celtic" trio led by a fiddler, with a guitar player who sometimes swaps to clarinet or tin whistle, and me on mandolin sometimes swapping to octave mandolin or Dobro. Sometimes we add guest players on pipes or bodhran.

For small coffee shop-type gigs, where I'm using just a little subtle reinforcement to keep up with our fiddler who isn't amplified:

• DPA 4099 clip-on mini condenser mic.
    • AER Alpha mini acoustic amp.
    • Peterson Strobostom tuner pedal on a cable from the FX send/return on the amp.

For the full compact PA system:

• Mandolin, fiddle, and guitar all use DPA 4099 mics, and I have an ATM350 on my OM, or Dobro if I'm also playing those. The fiddler's 4099 is on a wireless rig, the rest of us are hard-wired.
    • Audio Technica ATM710 condenser mics if we're adding a singer or have other instruments like bodhran, clarinet, etc.
    • Soundcraft MFXi8 8-channel mixer.
    • Peterson Strobostomp tuner pedal, patched through an insert jack on the mixer.
    • Sabine FBX2400 feedback filter (usually on monitors only, unless the room is weird).
    • Powered QSC K10 main speakers.
    • Powered TC Helicon VSM200-XT micro monitors.

For a while last year, I was using a TC G-Natural pedal in another band, where I had to swap between three instruments (mandolin, guitar, Dobro) and needed some special effects, and a boost switch for solos. I haven't used that recently, as the current band doesn't require solo boost or effects. I might fire it back up, if the other band regroups later this year.

oh yeah... i guess i should mention my mandolin.. it's a washburn something or other, vintage looking f-5 style. sounds great. any more?

Destroyer of Mandolins

I have a very straight forward set up. Our 'band' is a duo. My partner with a Taylor guitar and vocals. Myself with an Ovation mandolin, a Gold Tone tenor banjo with magnetic pickup, and various flutes and whistles.

We use two vocal mics and a PA that involves amps from 200 to 2400 watts, speakers from 10" to 15", floor wedges sometimes. It all plugs together in a number of configurations depending on the size of the room and the conditions, but it's all very basic, old-time sound gear.

I'm right now considering converting over to a Bose L-1 Model II and maybe a Bose Compact for smaller venues. I've been on the fence about those for a long time now, but others here are starting to convince me.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user