Thread: Alabama Mandolin ALM50S

Question Alabama Mandolin ALM50S

Any opinions on Alabama Mandolins? I know they make a lot of cheap entry level mandolins, but they have a higher end line as well. Unfortunately I live in an area where there isn't an abundance of choices for mandolins. A store near me has an Alabama Mandolin ALM50S for $919.00, taxes in, with a decent case. Seems overpriced to me (I live in Canada, so dont forget the conversion if you're an American reading this). I played it and it has a good sound (although it's hard to compare when every other mandolin in the store is less than $500.00). I dont want to order a mandolin in because I dont believe in buying instruments without playing them first no matter what the brandname. Anyone know anything about Alabama mandolins? I can't find a website.

One more question, if one mandolin has a good sound, will it be likely that the exact same model will have the same sound?

Default Re: Alabama Mandolin ALM50S

I have not played an Alabama so I would have to leave it up to your ears , however , a quick check online found that model for $702. So I think the price is a little high too, even for Canada. For your second question , The same model mandolins may sound similar but no two sound the same.
    Many online stores have a try out period where you can send it back if you don't like it. I like supporting my local shop but again I think that price is a bit much. You might offer less.
    Jim Richmond

Boy, not much on the 'net about Alabama instruments, other than (a) they're sold in Canada, and (2) they seem to be a line of Asian imports. I'd look around. And, while mandolins of the same make and model do sound close to each other, each one is subtly different, since no two pieces of wood are really identical. Differences are greater in better instruments, since there's probably less variance in heat-pressed plywood, than in hand-carved solid spruce.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

At today's conversion rate, $702 translates to 739 Ca, so way overpriced at $919.

My Alabama ALM50S bought in 1984 was my first mandolin, bought in Germany and cost DM 700 at that time. (approx $450). Beautiful Instrument, made in Korea. Easy to play but relative quiet. Nice to play alone at home - no chance to be heared in a group unless you are plugged in.
    Keep it as decoration and remember to those 80ties.
    Eastman 305**Ellis A5 DeLuxe #208-10**Ferrarotti Bowlback**Gibson A4 1928**National RM1 Walnut**Northfield A5M BigMon #120197**The Loar LM-700-CA**Weber Custom Vintage A

Here a link to al least ALM50S:

http://classaxe.ca/strings/mandolins/albm1/
    Eastman 305**Ellis A5 DeLuxe #208-10**Ferrarotti Bowlback**Gibson A4 1928**National RM1 Walnut**Northfield A5M BigMon #120197**The Loar LM-700-CA**Weber Custom Vintage A

Thanks for the help everybody