Thread: Home recording set up

What I'd like to do is import a pre-recorded song, and overdub my mandolin playing on it. I would be downloading the tune from the web, doing the overdub and then uploading the finished product to the web again. It would be part of a collaboration thing among folks on the web that want to play together and it would really be helpful if we could do this in more than one format or transpose frely between formats, ie. MIDI, MP3, etc. so that we all can share in the fun. Is there a shareware or freeware program out there that I could download or an inexspensive device that I could get to do this with?
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Ibanez M-522
    Gold Tone GM 10 Frypan

There may be some copyright issues with this plan, depending on what music you use for the original download. But if you have a decent soundcard why not just use the Windows media programs and just record directly into the PC? That's about as cheap as it gets.

Mark
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

I'm a producer for a television show, and make all of their music using these methods, and work in all 24 bit audio which all of these programs support.... The best way is very simple.

I read your post again more closely, and realized that youre only trying to overdub... Of course this was after I laid out suggestions for studio setup which I thought you were asking for. So I edited my reply, but Im going to leave all of my below suggestions in case anyone wants to know how to setup an inexpensive pro studio as i thought you were asking. But in respect to your actual question, that is very simple...

Try Downloading Protools Free, import your audio track, and then just plug into your line in using something like the Monster Cable 1/4 inch to Line in adaptor and record away.

Now for a nice Studio Setup

1. Buy a Mac, preferably a G4 powerbook if portability is an issue, or ultimatley a iMAC G5.

2. Get your hands on Logic Pro or Logic Express 7 , and if you find Logic to be out of your price range or overloaded for your application for $49.00 you can pick up Apples own iLife (included with a new mac computer purchase) which includes Garageband, a simple easy to use recording program.

3. Also get Reason 2.5, which is the premier MIDI music creation package. Great for creating instrument simulations, and backround effects.

4. Understand Rewire, a program included with all of the software I listed, that allows you to link all of these programs together and use them simultaneously to take full advantage of all of the different benefits thateach of these programs offer.

5. Finally you will need a way to plug your instrument, mic, or other input into your computer. Now there are a few options here. You can use your computers line in, which is fairly low latency but not exactly pro audio, however it works surprisingly well. Personally I use an Echo Mona, which has 4 inputs with high quality Mic Preamps built right in... It has been discontinued (I cannot understand this to this day) but this has driven the price down and you can find one on ebay for a very fair price. I love mine and it produces high quality pro audio, that I consider to be perfect for my needs, and would reccomend it to anyone looking to setup an inexpensive studio without compromising sound quality.

If you cant afford to just go out and pick up a brand new mac, check out ebay, there are some great deals on G4 desktops as well as used Powerbooks.

Finally if you insist on using a PC, Reason is available for PC as well, and also check out Protools input devices.

If you have any questions, feel free to IM me on AIM, my screen name is Zemper, try to use instant messaging rather than email, as I get a lot of spam, and rarely check my mail. Like I said I do this for a living and love to help fellow musicians get on the right track, as I was lucky enough to have many wonderful people help me get going in the right direction. Hope this was helpful....

Adam Aftab
    Aftabulis Productions

4. The following members say thank you to Zemper for this post:

I haven't used this program, so I don't know what it does, but look into N-tracks.

I also don't understand why Echo discontinued the Mona.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

A simple a free version of 4 track recording software can be downloaded at digitalsoundplanet.com. It is a very user friendly program , looks just like a tape based 4 track. You can import audio files into it. You also get web hosting space on the site. This is the easiest recording software to use in my opinion.

Default Re: Home recording set up

Thanks Adam for the detailed reply... This has answered a huge share of my doubts.

I agree with everything Adam / Zemper says...all very good info !
    If you are on PC you might look into the very robust and free software called "Audacity". There are hours and hours of instructional videos on YouTube.
    This is an easy to use recording software program. It has more than enough power and tools to do whatever you need.
    Eastman MD-305 Left Handed Version
    Pick....Dunlop JD Jazz Tone 207 (for today anyway)

67.4 % of all statistics are made up !

Audacity also has a version for the macbook.

I use a system very similar to what is described above:

1. Used 09 iMac 27" w. an I7 and 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD drive - cost me $500 on eBay, without the drive, which I upgraded later for another $159.
    2. GarageBand - which came with the mac, so no additional cost.
    3. Mackie Onyx Blackjack USB recording interface - only two channels, but I love that thing. And GB is limited to two simultaneous tracks, anyway.
    4. Mics: Rode NT1A condenser for vocals and guitars, pair of matched Rode M5s for guitars and mando, AKG P170 for guitar and mando.
    5. KRK Rokit5 speakers.

For the times when I need more inputs, I use a retired from my live rig Mackie 1202-VLZ3 board the "out" of which goes into one "in" of the Onyx. But I have to make sure the levels on the individual channels on the VLZ3 are adequately mixed, as whatever comes out of it will come as one track.