Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to strap a Mandolin

Default How to strap a Mandolin

does anyone know the right way to put the strap on a mandolin ?
    Thank you John

Default Re: How to strap a Mandolin

F style you hook one end around the strap button and the other around the scroll.

A style you hook one end around the strap button and the other around the.....
    a. headstock
    b. under the strings at the nut
    c. around the fretboard and under an elevated bridge (if you have one)
    d. another strap button on the heel (not recommended but some do it)

I'm currently working on a new design for A style mandolins. I'll put up a few photos when I'm done....if it works.

sounds good folks, I have an F style, It seems more comfortable with the strap at the nut, but I did,nt think it was the right way of doing it, I tried it at the scroll today, it just seems too close to my body, and its hard to see the frets, and I have a hard time adjusting the strap, I cant come to understand how this two peice adjustable strap properly wraps around the scroll, anyway, being Im a new player, I did get a few licks going,, thanks folks
    John

I was trying to create something made completely from leather. I purchased the components from the Hobby Lobby and all total they cost me 16 bucks including the leather punch tool which was 6 bucks.

I'm proud of the way it turned out. The wife asked about the little square braided leather for the headstock saying that it looked like something they taught her to do at camp.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_omqUIEO4GuQ/TD...trap%20001.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_omqUIEO4GuQ/TD...trap%20002.JPG

It works great, holding nicely!

I really wish I could get the photos into the post, but can't seem to accomplish this.
    Last edited by Patrick Sylvest; Jul-07-2010 at 8:51pm.

Quote Originally Posted by jim_n_virginia View Post
    F style you hook one end around the strap button and the other around the scroll.

A style you hook one end around the strap button and the other around the.....
    a. headstock
    b. under the strings at the nut
    c. around the fretboard and under an elevated bridge (if you have one)
    d. another strap button on the heel (not recommended but some do it)
    d. makes no sense to me. Properly done, there is no problem. I've had several strap buttons installed on A's. There is a big chunk of wood where the neck joins the body that easily accepts the small screw needed for a strap button. BTW, the button goes on the underside of the heel, the side facing the floor. It's a neat and clean way to go and it allows the mandolin to hang in the same way a strap around the scroll of an F style does.

d. makes no sense to me.
    If you have a mandolin approaching it's hundredth birthday, perhaps there would be some motivation not to alter the instrument.

It works just as well for me attached to the headstock. I have two A's and it hasn't been a problem.

cayenne, I dont know what you created there, but after listoning to your myspace songs music, your pretty good, so I guess you made a strap that works out for you, a pro.
    Its starting to look like everyone has a there own special way of hanging there instrument.
    John

No official "way." Do what works best for you. I have mandolins with the straps attached to scrolls, to strap buttons screwed to the neck block, to the headstock -- whatever. Trial and error.

Oh, and be careful with the end-pin; see this recent, lengthy thread.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thank you Allenhopkins, I will check out the link, hey by the way, between the bridge and the tail, on the strings is four little round rubber thing-ies, must be used as a way for adjusting, does anyone know how to use them,
    thanks again
    John,
    the guy over here in Florida near the oil slick

Gee, after ready about the end pins, you got me up and looking at my end pin, do you not think my end pin is attached to the tail on my 2005 Micheal Kelly ? can you amagin playing along and then your end pin pops off in which your strap is held onto, perhaps a little dab of elmers might be in order for security purposes. thanks again
    John, yey, same guy, same oil slick
    Last edited by floridartist; Jul-07-2010 at 10:47pm. Reason: added a word

I'm assuming those rummerb grommets are wedged between the pairs of strings? They are used to damp string vibrations behind the bridge.

You see, now who needs a music teacher, when all you got to do is join the Mandolin cafe, and you get all the answers you need. thanks for the knowlage of the rubber thing-ies,
    John,

Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne View Post
    If you have a mandolin approaching it's hundredth birthday, perhaps there would be some motivation not to alter the instrument.

It works just as well for me attached to the headstock. I have two A's and it hasn't been a problem.
    Yeah, a person may prefer to do that. I was commenting about the contention that a strap button installation is an ill-advised thing to do when there's really nothing wrong with it, imho.

All my A-style mandolins came with a strap button either on the heel or on the treble side of the heel except one which I tie under the strings above the nut. I prefer the buttons because the strap doesn't interfere with my fretting hand, but as Allen said, there is no official "way".
    Brian T. Walker
    Down beside the Alamo
    In the Lone Star State

"Ignorance is when you don't know something and somebody finds it out."
    -- Kenneth "Jethro" Burns

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

"How to strap a mandolin?" Why, has it been misbehaving? Better to just make it sit in a corner ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    Yeah, a person may prefer to do that. I was commenting about the contention that a strap button installation is an ill-advised thing to do when there's really nothing wrong with it, imho.
    my bad I should have not said "not recommended" it is just an option what I was refering to was that some people (like me) don't like to alter or drill their mandolins in any way especially a vintage instrument. You can put a strap button on the underside of the heal and it will not affect the sound in any way. But there is a reason why you'll never see one on a Loar.

I got this thin two peice strap that is not very comforable, so I might put that in the corner if I find something that works better

Thanks for the compliment floridartist!

Here are the pics of my strap attachment I couldn't post previously. I think it's pretty cool....all leather.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A strap 001..jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	60388   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A strap 002..jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	174.9 KB 
ID:	60389  

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    "How to strap a mandolin?" Why, has it been misbehaving? Better to just make it sit in a corner ...
    In Singapore, they cane mandolins behaving badly.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

A very interesting strap you have put together, looks like a keeper,
    John

Hey Jim, you got a good site with t shirts and hats, how about a few decent Mandolin straps, one of the kind stuff, something special like Cayenne's strap, but one of a kind.
    John

I recommend Randy Hogan. He's a great guy to work with and makes custom straps as well as the standard hangers. NFI

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...n-Mando-straps

Just ordered an Eastman MD-505 from the Mandolin Store. I have been planning to have someone put a button on the heel, but wanted to make sure that wasn't a mistake. Several threads on this forum, including this one have been very helpful. I have to say, however, that any doubt about whether I should do it was eliminated when I checked and confirmed that Tim O'Brien has heel button on his A style. See, e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYGYhtVeUY4

Good enough for me!

Thanks for the Tim O'Brien link - loved that Scottish countryside, and thoroughly enjoyed the track. At about the two-minute mark there's a line about 'They say whisky slows you down.....' and Tim fires a wry look at Aly Bain, which is returned with a knowing smile. Aly likes a whisky or two, something I know from an evening I was lucky enough to spend in his company. These Transatlantic Sessions are must-viewing for lovers of country/folk/traditional music, have been for years.

br