Diego

Eastman MD315
    Kentucky KM505
    JBovier ELS
    ---
    Ivan Dunov VL402 Violin

Just Learnin'

Default Re: Losing My Religion - mando tutorial

Thanks for a very informative and well planned out video. I am recently converted from guitar and feel as if I found my real muse with the mandolin. I was happy to see that I had already figured out one or two of your chords but found one that I wasn't using so... score one for the F...!

Can't wait to sit down with the mandolin and work through this one. By the way, it's nice to see someone else playing on an A style!

Thanks again for your fine work!

Blog Entries

Agreed! I have viewed this tutorial many, many times, and I learn something new almost every time I view it. Fantastic!

One observation for other relative newbies...Something we rarely hear is that 5-3-0-X is a perfectly acceptable F major chord! Also, it sounds just fine when used in the intro & chorus of LMR. If you're having trouble cleanly fretting 5-3-0-1, try 5-3-0-X (just make sure to not play the E strings). Actually, IMHO, 5-3-0-X / 5-0-0-X sounds a little darker to me without the high F, and I think it therefore goes quite well with the minor key of the song.

Dale - Thank you again for this great tutorial - It's one of the best out there! I can't wait to hopefully see more from you.

-Ed (another extreme fan of A style mandolins!)
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

4. The following members say thank you to Ed Goist for this post:

mtm 

Just Learnin'

Well Dale, you've gone and done it now... After watching the video last night and sleepin' on it, I went up to the park today to see what stuck... about 90%..! Your thoroughness on that video really sticks to the cortex and after sitting and playing through it again just now (this time with mando in hand) the other 10% just dropped right in.

Thank you for this great video, and I am looking forward to more from you! I just played along to the video of the actual song and while I am not all the way up to speed yet, I can't believe how "decent" I sound after such a short time.

A testament to you sir.

Great post Dale,
    It's very much appreciated.
    Any chance you could look over the two similar Rod Steward songs Maggie May and Mandolin Wind and do a tutorial on those? I'd even buy it.
    Hugh

thanks so much for each post.....your kind feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks for taking your time to check out the video.....MM is a great one and i've thought about a guitar/mando video....thanks Hugh for the suggestions!

peace,
    dale

Hope this vid may be of interest & help.....

thanks to all who have used the vid - this is a bump for anyone new interested.

10. The following members say thank you to maplebaby for this post:

Blog Entries

Dale, thanks for the great video tutorials. I'm currently scratching my way through 'the Nine Pound Hammer' one. I just can't work out the timing from around where the slide cord ending with the third fret on the A string and the fourth fret on the D string occurs. From there to the end is a bit of a jumble for me but I'll keep trying. Thanks again.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

I used this same tutorial to learn this song and have been playing it live... I have had many compliments on getting it to sound right... thanks tonedr

tough song to sing and play, especially that little walk up right before vocals start

One of the best and easiest to pick up vids I have seen. I am a rank newbie on Mando but a bassist-acoustic guitarist for about 35 years. The video was as good as having a guitarist buddy sit across from me and show me a song we needed to play in rehearsal. I picked up 80% in one pass through and am such a novice I added 2 chords to my rep with this video. I wish I could instruct as well on bass. My kids would be bass monsters by now! Thanks and I echo the Maggie May comment! Great tune.

14. The following members say thank you to killum for this post:

these posts are sincerely appreciated...thanks for giving your time to check out the vid - all the best with your music!

dale

16. The following members say thank you to maplebaby for this post:

I cannot wait to try this out once I actually get my mandolin and practice a little. THIS is the song that made me fall in love with this instrument. I figured after nearly 20 years of saying that I'm going to learn to play someday that I would actually start.

thank you for the kind post and i hope you really enjoy playing this one!

all the best,
    dale

Great tutorial - nice job! You explain in enough detail without belaboring the point. One of my favorite tunes. Clear, concise, exceptional! Thanks.
    A man goes to a psychiatrist. The doctor says, "You're crazy" The man says, "I want a second opinion!" Doctor says "Okay, you're ugly too!" ~~~ Henny Youngman

thanks for giving your time to check this out and i appreciate the kind post!

best,
    dale

Dale,
    Thanks for the tutorial. I've had my mandolin for a few days and this is one of the first tutorial vids I've really gelled with. Great song, I'm a long time REM fan.

Cheers,
    RJ in CA

Searching for the Sound

Just another novice (and that's generous) who found the tutorial VERY helpful. My wife yelled down last night "what's that your playing, I recognize it, and it ACTUALLY sounds good" !!!

The cats didn't run away either....

Now, singing it AND playing ... that's going to take a while...
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

Between this tutorial and a slight modification to it I made after watching Peter Buck closely (he lifts his second finger on the F chord rather than adding the pinky) I'm actually playing this song recognizably! Just thought it was fitting that the first song I learn on my mandolin be the song that inspired me to play in the first place! This newbie is very happy....

rj_alb - congrats on the new mando! i wish you all the best with your music!

mtm - haha! appreciate the post and thanks for using the vid - keep pickin' and singing!

CSIMelissa - notice we are from the same state, i'm in Versailles, you in central KY?

Quote Originally Posted by maplebaby View Post
    rj_alb - congrats on the new mando! i wish you all the best with your music!

mtm - haha! appreciate the post and thanks for using the vid - keep pickin' and singing!

CSIMelissa - notice we are from the same state, i'm in Versailles, you in central KY?
    Hi neighbor! I'm in Lex!

Quote Originally Posted by CSIMelissa View Post
    Hi neighbor! I'm in Lex!

do you play anywhere in the area?

I am going to start practicing this using your video today. Thank you so much for posting this.
    Newbie player
    Pickin' and grimacing

i hope you enjoy working it up..happy New Year and all the best with your music!

29. The following members say thank you to maplebaby for this post:

Thanks, this is a great lesson and deserved a bump.
    Cheers