Thread: Antique Family Mandolin

Question Antique Family Mandolin

My great-aunt called me down to her house this weekend. Sitting on the dining room table was a mandolin and case, that belonged to my granmother. I didn't even know she'd played, but I play guitar in a small band, and have always wanted to learn even a chord or two on the mandolin. So, she's decided that I need to be the one to take care of it now. So I brought it home, tuned it; hands shaking afraid I'd break it. But now I'm curious. There's no manufactuer either on the body or case. There's not even a place where it was removed long ago and a hint of adhesive. The oly markings are inside the body, seen through the F-holes. "N-2" & "L 7428" It's a Acoustic/Electric A-style with F-holes. I'm not sure of the wood, and I'm really not looking for a value. I'm just dying to know more about where my grandmother may have gotten it and perhaps how old it is. I have a 4-month old daughter, who we named after my grandmother, and I hope to pass it down to her.

PLEASE Can anyone help me?

Default Re: Antique Family Mandolin

Photos would help, but it was almost certainly made at the Kay factory in Chicago sometime between 1945 and 1970.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Default Re: Antique Family Mandolin