Thread: Suzuki Mandolins

Does anyone knows where can I find the internet site of the company which builds Suzuki Mandolins?
    Or do you know any music shop which sells them online?
    Thanks in advance for your answers!
    Mike
    Italy

Hampe & Berkel sells new Suzuki instruments. Look at the "Links" section off the home page here.

From what I saw, the instruments are expensive for what they are. They are frequently found used on ebay.

My first real musical instrument was a Suzuki classical guitar for $60 back in 1970. Haven't seen a Suzuki without wheels for years.

For the sake of convenience: Hampe & Berkel Muziek.

I owned a 1968 Suzuki way back in the last years of the 20th c. #Those of that vintage were very neatly built and tastefully decorated mass-produced instruments. #They featured the frustrating combination of a massively over-built soundbox that had an intolerably thin tone under light strings and a pathetically soft neck material that was certain to severely warp under anything but the very lightest strings. #I used to watch such stuff when it came up for sale. #Those old ones in maple would typically sell for around $150 or so.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1968_Suzuki.JPG 
Views:	704 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	4378  

PS: They used to be built by the Suzuki Violin Co. in Nagoya.

I have been trying, fairly unsuccessfully, for some time to research Suzuki and Ibanez Bowlbacks. I am aware of the various name changes (Suzuki, Kiso Suzuki, Suzuki Kiso-Fukushima” and Suzuki Violin Co Nayoga etc). Also trying to establish, in view of the almost identical Ibanez models, if indeed they were made by the same buiders. I've contacted the Suzuki Violin Co (UK education section)and even they can't help.

Here is a reply I recently received from Hampe & Berkel Muziek.I have as they suggested emailed GEWA in Germany and will pass on any info I receive.

Subject: RE: Suzuki Mandolins /mandolas

Hi Ian,
    I’m sorry but I can’t be of any assistance to you. As far as I know they stopped manufacturing these mandolins approximately 12 years ago. Try to get in touch with GEWA in Germany. They were importers for Suzuki mandolins/mandola’s
    Succes,
    Tom

END OF QUOTE

Regards,
    Ian

Default Re: Suzuki Mandolins

My FIL gave me a mandolin that he bought in 1945 used. It says masakichi.suzuki nagoya nippon no. 2. Any idea where I can get an estimate of its age. Thank you.

Pictures of the instrument and its label would be helpful.

If you are in the UK then you could order from Thomann in Germany : https://www.thomann.de/gb/suzuki_mandolins_.html

If you aren't wedded to Suzuki you might also consider Matsikas https://www.thomann.de/gb/matsikas_mandolins_.html I am happy with my Mandola.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Quote Originally Posted by jerry keen View Post
    My FIL gave me a mandolin that he bought in 1945 used. It says masakichi.suzuki nagoya nippon no. 2. Any idea where I can get an estimate of its age. Thank you.
    Roman-type lettering and a generally English label that carries the word "Nippon" implies a manufacture year of 1920 or earlier. (1921 and later, they would have been labeled as "made in Japan.") The factory to produce Suzuki-label instruments began operation around 1900, but Masakichi Suzuki was producing violins in his own hand as early as 1887. The implication is that your mandolin was made within the first couple decades of the 1900s.

I recently scored a Nippon-label Suzuki mandolin. My label features the famous 3-S logo bisecting the word "Trade/mark" followed by:

Manufactured by
    Masakichi Suzuki
    Nagoya Nippon

This bit of history may be of interest: http://nagoyasuzuki.blogspot.com/

11. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

Jacob 

By the way, keep very light strings on those old Neapolitan-type mandolins. My favorites are https://www.stringsbymail.com/dogal-...set-16962.html.

I guess this is their (Japanese) website:
    http://www.suzukiviolin.co.jp/index.html

This mandolin has what I thought was a drawing of a wheel between Trade and mark. It probably is the 3S logo that you mention. It hasn't been played in over 66 years, and has developed a crack on the face that runs from the bridge to the edge. The crack is about as wide as the string width. My FIL says that can be repaired by a good craftsman. Strings are bad too, but it has been kept in the case and doesn't have any other blemishes that I noticed. I will post pictures soon as i figure out how. My FIL is 91 and needs funds for assisted living so I need to sell it for his account. I am 100% non musical so I know nothing. Can you suggest how to sell it for a fair price? Thank you. Also he has a 1946 Kay Guitar that is in good shape except for strings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0259.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	153379

Hopefully, the attachment shows the mandolin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Label2A.JPG 
Views:	233 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	153380Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	153381Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	153381Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	153382Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Label2B.JPG 
Views:	237 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	153383Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Label2B.JPG 
Views:	237 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	153383
    Does anyone know the best way to get a good value estimate for this mandolin. Thank you.

This is a 13 year old revived thread. The last time the OP posted was 2013 FWIW. I know some folks are replying to the new poster.

As to value, in the US this mandolin would not be worth more than a hundred dollars or so without the crack, less, as-is. Bowlbacks are not particularly desirable. 1946 Kay guitar, if it were an upper-end model, could be worth a few hundred dollars but neither will bring a fortune, sorry to say. Kay in general made budget instruments.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

18. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Michael Reichenbach

Homepage: www.mandoisland.de / Blog: www.mandoisland.com / Freiburg / Germany

Yes, unfortunately, Suzuki mandolins, even the early generation in good condition, don't command much value in the US. Sorry, Jerry.