Thread: George H. Hucke - Forty progressive studies for the mandoline

Default George H. Hucke - Forty progressive studies for the mandoline

First of all I would like to say hello to everyone here.

I'm a 30 year old mandolin player from the south of the Netherlands. I've been reading a lot of the posts on this forum which I 've found very informative but I never posted anything here myself up till now.

I just bought this book (see pic) and I was wondering if anyone could tell me when it was published and if it's still protected by copyright? And if anyone has got any information on George H. Hucke or Fiametta Waldahoff. I've googled them both but the information I can find on the internet is very limited.

Thanks in advance,

Jean-Marie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	george hucke..jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	247.3 KB 
ID:	59755  

Default Re: George H. Hucke - Forty progressive studies for the mandoline

Hello Jean-Marie,

Good day and welcome to you. Nice to meet you here at the mandolin café.

In case you haven't found this already:
    George H. Hucke was born in 1868 in a musical family and initially trained by his father (Heinrich - indeed of German origin) to become a professional violinist. George H. Hucke earned his living with composing, and by playing and teaching the violin (mandolin and guitar). He died early, only 35 years of age, in London in 1903.

The 40 studies Op. 50 were first published by Turner in 1893.
    More info can be read (goal! - Nertherlands - Japan 1-0 ) in P.J. Bone's 'The Guitar and Mandolin' page 170-171.

Best greetings ,

Alex

Hello, Jean-Marie.

Aangenaam kennis met u te maken. Welcome among us! You will find that we are a friendly bunch; some of us (unlike myself) are actually knowledgeable, too ;-) I suspect, for example, that my friend Jim Garber (a veritable mando-encyclopedia) may know some interesting trivia about Mr. Hucke and the text(s) he authored.

Also, there is a significant "Dutch contingency" on this forum —of which I am not one, but a mere impostor— with much to offer by way of mandolin-related expertise. Extremely nice folks, too— mostly from the northern Netherlands.

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Welcome Jean-Marie,

Philip J. Bone's The Guitar and Mandolin.... has been mentioned a few times on this forum. You can read and/or download the full text of an early edition of the book from the Internet Archive, courtesy of the U. of California. One of the best ways to access the volume is through the search engine of the Hathi Trust which also allows you to search within the volume.

You will find the article about Mr. Hucke (including a portrait) on p. 152.

If your copy of the Forty Progressive Studies was published in 1893, as mentioned in the Bone article, then it is surely out of copyright. Feel free to digitize it and share it with the rest of us!

John G.

Thank you all for the welcome and for the information.

Besides music I'm also interested in history so I find it really a shame that there is so little information on a lot of publishers, players and composers for the mandolin.

Jean-Marie

John Alvey Turner is still in business. If you are just thinking of digitizing the book, it is probably fine, but if you are thinking of actually publishing it them I would check with JAT first. Here is their web site.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I'm very pleased to announce that Jean-Marie has provided me with a copy of Mr. Hucke's progressive studies and has asked me to make it available through the "Golden Era" section of my Mandotopia site. Here's the direct link to the book:
    http://www.contratopia.com/ge/Hucke40.pdf

While I am far from an expert on this kind of collection these studies strike me as very well written and quite interesting. They seem a cut above the average and I have been really enjoying playing some of the easier ones.

Thanks again to Jean-Marie for bringing these to our attention,

John G.