Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has more then one mando

Default Re: Who has more then one mando

What the hell is a mandolin?
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

Blog Entries

I have 7. I have an in house custom Michael Kelly . My first partial build F5 with Ben Chafin of Chafin Custom Guitars. My first complete build F5 in Brazilian Rosewood. A really nice F5 Maple which I carved and assemble, with Skip Kelly completing the binding and varnish. A Brazilian Rosewood F5 by Skip Kelly . a J. Mann custom electric 8 string. Finally a fancy inlaid Bowlback by Antoniosi from Taiwan.
    I have plans on two more Brazilian mandolins in joint effort with Skip Kell. MASS, will it ever end? I hope not.

I collect and play instruments sideways, not vertically. One of each type. I can't imagine having two F-style mandolins, for example... but that's just me.

--------------------
    F-style mandolin
    Acoustic/electric "jazz" mandola
    F-style octave mandolin
    (no F-style Mandocello, but that's the missing gap, eh? )
    --------------------

Aaaaand.... too many guitars. But they're all categorically very different, for different purposes.

[QUOTE=journeybear;811543]i don't believe in beaters. You probably don't want to hear this, but I say bring your good one everywhere, even camping. Just check the weather report first. You won't believe how beautiful it will sound out in the woods or on a hillside or by a lake, away from the rumble and roar of civilization.

The only thing wit that is when i go stay at a hotel i dont want people getting in my stuf when i leave.... Its very Valuable lol . Then i dont want to take it and leave it in the car either.. So im thinking of ahh i dk yet. Them Gobles in the classifieds look fun haha.... I dont see how Alan aint went bankrupt with all them fine instruments

I can hardly understand a word of your posts. "So im thinking of ahh i d..." ??

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    I can hardly understand a word of your posts. "So im thinking of ahh i d..." ??
    He is only 15 but what does "So im thinking of ahh i d...." mean anyways? No harm done just poking a bit of fun.

Had 3 mandos....down to 2 (one being a total wall hanger).

I have 3 right now - an oval F, an oval A, and an emando. The only thing keeping me from getting more right now is my car payments! When that's done and dusted then it'll be MAS here I come!!!

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I think Shawn was using a handheld device and thus shorthand - i dk = I don't know. But I d k 4 sure.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Allen's reputation is clearly over-stated. If you take out mandolas, banjolins and other sundry items that are not strictly mandolins, he only has, wait a minute, let me see, ....... more than the rest of us put together.

br

Shawn, you know how many mandolins you really need at any given time? JUST ONE MORE!!
    Tommy

Im sorry i was on my dads phone when i dont that post and Journey Bear was right ... I dk = i dont know... I thought about it after i done it but it was too late.... You always want one more mandolin your never satisfied with what you have. Its alot like height .. You always want to be taller then what you are

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Gambrel View Post
    ...I don't see how Al[le]n [hasn't gone] bankrupt with all them fine instruments
    1. I'm a civil service retiree and live on my retirement -- adequately, if not luxuriously.
    2. I "play out" about 150 times a year, mostly small potatoes like retirement facilities, schools, historical societies, libraries, etc.
    3. I use the buxx I make doing that, to support my musical avocation: buy instruments, strings, picks, PA equipment, "music stuff." Also part of the cost of my current automobile, the Honda Element that takes me to gigs and elsewhere.

Remember, you're looking at a 40-year accumulation of instruments. I have quite a few guitars, banjos, ukuleles, Autoharps and harmonicas as well, plus a few concertinas and some oddities (tiples, bowed psaltery, kalimba, mouth bow...).

Been lucky in having the chance to play and enjoy a wide variety of interesting and unusual instruments. Never have tried to get a real "top-end" mandolin, but have really loved all the different sounds and shapes and "feels" of the ones I do have.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

i dont see how you keep all of them... I would have sold most of them. sorry about the misspelling of your name

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Gambrel View Post
    You always want to be taller then what you are
    Ya think, I'm 6'5". LOL, ROTFL, OMG, UJG, FCT, MBYS. ETC ETC ETC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Remember, you're looking at a 40-year accumulation of instruments...
    Great approach. I for one, am still curious about just how many mandolins are in there ...

Oh, and Mike? Maybe you knew what Shawn met all along, with that string of shorthand. I mean, WTF? But anyway, yeah, YMMV.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Great approach. I for one, am still curious about just how many mandolins are in there ...

Oh, and Mike? Maybe you knew what Shawn met all along, with that string of shorthand. I mean, WTF? But anyway, yeah, YMMV.
    I was more disappointed with the incorrect use of "then" as opposed the the correct word, "than", "them Gobles", "Allan ain't went bankrupt" . As for the string of shorthand, I made half of them up.

Blog Entries

HA!!! LOL!!! But when it comes to speeling and gramma, I've found it pays to be a bit forgiving and just read between the lines whenever possible/necessary. There's only so much worth expecting as far as perfection goes when typing is involved.

If I'd only known how much time I would be spending writing and typing, I would have paid more attention in English and typing classes ...

But back to the topic, sort of, the first time I noticed that IAS existed was when I saw a picture of Steve Howe's guitar collection. I didn't understand then - and still don't completely - the need to have more than one excellent instrument. I heard the explanation that each guitar has a different sound and is thus more suited for a certain purpose or song than others, and that would hold for each one in his collection - but I still thought, the trick is to learn how to play an instrument so expertly that you can get the sound you want for each song from that one instrument. And somehow I still ended up with ten little beasties ... Still, I use basically the A for acoustic numbers and the MandoBird for electric ones. The rest were steps along the way, and though I don't use them as much, I'm not letting them go. Sorry!

I have 2 - a Weber "Fern" & a 2001 Lebeda F-5 "Special" bought 'used'. Unless i somehow 'come into money',that's how it's going to stay in spite of my drooling over every stunning instrument i see on here. They both play & sound great,but 'different',& it's the difference that makes it worth keeping both right now,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

3 @ home, 2 @ remote locations. TMM (too many mandolins). John

Currently:
    c1910 Gibson 3-point F-2
    1954 Gibson F-5
    1987 Gibson Army-Navy Custom "pancake"
    1920 Martin Style A
    1930's Dobro mandolin
    c1937 National Triolian steel-body resonator mandolin
    c1900 Howe-Orme mandolinetto
    c1925 Holdrio piccolo mandolin
    c1895 Merrill aluminum-bodied bowl-back
    c1900 B&J Victoria bowl-back
    c1945-50 Strad-O-Lin
    c1980 Jordan solid-body electric mandolin
    2008 Eastman DGM-1
    2009 Eastman DGM-2
    c1895 Washburn bowl-back mandola
    c1985-7 Sobell mandola
    2007 Eastman MDA-615 mandola
    1985 Flatiron 3K octave mandolin
    c1930 Regal Octofone
    c1920 Gibson K-1 mandocello
    2008 Eastman MDC-805 mandocello
    c1920 Vega Little Wonder mandolin-banjo
    ?? No-name mandolin-banjo ('20's-'30's, I'd guess)

Not including "banjolas" (mandola body, 5-string banjo neck): I have a modern Gold Tone, and a 1890's Pollman "mandoline banjo" made the same way. Also not including tenor banjo, cello banjo, or tenor guitar, although they have 5ths tuning and get discussed here a bit.

That's where she stands a/o now. No plans to acquire more or down-size in the immediate future, but as my 60's tick away, I'm starting to think seriously about where they're all eventually going.
    Holy Cow !!!!!!!!! If I had that many in our home, that would only mean one thing! DIVORCE!

1, uno, one, a single solitary mandolin, all by itself. One F5G to play grass, Celtic, Contra, old country, new country, jazz, Beatles tunes and rock 'n roll. Maybe, someday, an oval.
    Mike Snyder

one....no, two....no, make that three...wait a minute, there's another one !
    I guess I'm about middle of the road with a "few" !

Down to Duff F5, Collings MT-2, Gibson A2z, National Style 1, Eastman mandola, 20's snakehead A out on loan in exchange for a strat, amp & keyboard... but I promised my wife some more would be moving out ;-)

Blog Entries

Remember, you're looking at a 40-year accumulation of instruments.
    Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I'm sorry - I didn't see you had already responded. Your list created a post that was so long it pushed the thread to a new page as my computer displays it.

It is quite a collection you have there, sir. Despite what you say about not owning a top-end mandolin (personally, I think a c1910 Gibson 3-point F-2 might qualify ), you have some very nice ones. And the best thing is, they're not collecting dust but getting played, which is what they were meant for.

And this is probably the largest collection I've seen here, with the possible exception of that belonging to the member who had to hire a trucking company to move his across the country last year.

OK - here it is - very nice, to be sure, but too many guitars! Allen is still #1 in this regard, as far as I know.
    Last edited by journeybear; Jun-18-2010 at 8:18am. Reason: found the missing link