Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tacoma mandolins

Default Re: Tacoma mandolins

Tacoma mandolins were the best mandolins available from a factory under $1000 until 2003 or so...
    The main reason was that they came well -- actually beautifully, set up. And so they sounded and played better than anything else on the wall in the usual big box stores. I loved my rosewood and spruce M2.

Tacoma M1 was my first mandolin. Played great, wasn't thrilled with the sound. I went Tacoma -> Rigel A+Deluxe --> Breedlove FF --> Weber Yellowstone --> Collings MT. I've been playing the MT for 7yrs... I think it's a keeper.
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

I got a beautiful tobacco burst M3 early 2000's and still love it! I liked so much I added a "Roadking" 6-string guitar and the little 1/4 size Papoose. I was unhappy when they sold out to Fender, knowing they were doomed.

Yeah, I got a Tacoma as part of a trade for an different instrument, I figured I would just turn around and post it right to the the Classifieds... but I’ve had it for almost a year now and I don’t expect to be getting rid of it any time soon!

Not a bluegrass instrument by any stretch... but really unique sound and super comfortable to play.

I’ve owned a couple mandolins and bought a blonde M3 and had it for about 6 years. I thought it was a really well made instrument. A band I used to really like (5 O’clock People) had all their instruments stolen, Tacoma found out about in and gave them all new ones. Patrick the mandolin player received an M3 so I went looking for one. Found one at Larry’s music in Grants Pass but they wanted $1099.00 for it and there was no way that was in my budget. Found another about a year later on clearance at Guitar Center in Sacramento for around $550.00 out the door. Couldn’t really afford that one ether but it did make the 500 mile trip back home with me. Played it for about 4 years when it started developing the typical Tacoma finishing issues. Tacoma was sold to Fender by then but Fender honored the warranty and completely refinished it. Sold it on e-bay for $700.00 plus shipping so I came out all right and the buyer was really happy with it. I wish all of my other instrument purchases went this good. I currently own a Collings MT2 oval. My wife has named her LC, for this is your Last Chance to learn how to play a mandolin, so Elsie won’t be going anywhere.

The first mandolin I ever bought was a Tacoma M3 sunburst. I got it new just as they were coming to market. I knew I wanted to learn mandolin but at the time didn't have any frame of reference and was playing for Contra and English Country Dances so there was no pressure to go "traditional" by BG standards. My tastes have changed and it got sold but it was a very nice flat top, with outstanding playability, and a pleasing, rounded voice which I guess coming more from guitar sounded right to me then. It even had jumbo frets which are pretty popular these days. It came in a nice custom hard case as well. I took it to Telluride and though a few people were just curious about it they were much more interested in jamming, which it did admirably. Play what floats your boat.
    current joys:
    Gibson F-5G | Northfield A5 Special | Kentucky KM-150 | Mid-Mo M-70 Octave | Martin HD-28V | Gold Tone BC-350 | 5-string Mandoblaster | Les Paul | Strat | Piano | Bongos | Tacoma Thunderchief | old Dobro | Some amps & microphones

Just picked up an M2. Would like to electrify it. Pickup suggestions? Please and thanks much.