Thread: Best Road Trip CD

Default Best Road Trip CD

Now that summer is close it's time for music festivals and road trips. What are some great road trip albums? Right now I am liking Terry Reid's "Seed of Memory" from about 1975.

Default Re: Best Road Trip CD

I listened to Bela Fleck's "Bluegrass Sessions" from Kodiak, AK, to Santa Fe, NM, to Albany, NY... that and Bob Dylan's "The Basement Tapes" is another good one... of course, that's for American road trips... other landscapes would require different music

I love bela's bluegrass sessions. The screwed up thing is Terry Reid. He was Jimmy Page's first choice for a vocalist in Zeppelin. Terry Reid turned Jimmy Page on to Robert Plant. Terry Reid moved to California and did his thing with David Lindley, Graham Nash, etc

"bang, bang, you're Terry Reid" - remember that one!

Last winter I took the 4 cd live set of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers along for a road trip - cool stuff.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

When you need to concentrate late at night.... "Kind of Blue". It's always in my glove box.

Remastered Beatles albums is a nice way to pass time on the road.

And for long trips (which I'll have a few myself) may I suggest the audio "On the Road" as told by Matt Dillon.

Ah Terry Reid opened a few shows for him; interesting fellow he is.

Rounder 25 Years of Bluegrass is a 2 CD set, so it has a lot of great songs by great artists to see you through a long trip.

I'll second (third? fourth?) the vote for Bela's "Bluegrass Sessions". Drive is also a great driving album - who would have thought?

Stevie Ray Vaughn and especially "Rude Mood". Especially if you want to drive 100+ mph . I love that album when I need to get someplace as fast as I can. Otherwise, I prefer a very wide range of music from nearly every genre except rap, or County Rap (####), but otherwise my tastes are so varied it would drive you nuts. Going through my Ipod is like walking through the eclectic section of a good record store....oh....they don't have those anymore. Oh well, I guess my age is showing .
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Blog Entries

Ryan Bingham's Mescalito, Matt King's Rube, Allison Moorer's Crows, Levon Helm's Electric Dirt, Sarah Jarosz's Song Up in Her Head, Willie Nelson's Teatro, Marty Stuart's Live at the Ryman, and Them Crooked Vultures (self-titled).

Sorry about the long list...I guess I'm just assuming a long trip...

-Ed

I really like older 'live' bluegrass..........Seldom Scene at the Cellar Door, Seldom Scene 15 yr. Anniversary, Hot Rize, Johnson Mt Boys at Lucketts, Country Gents in Japan, Northern Lights w/Vassar...........that's good road trip music.

Bob
    re simmers

AC/DC - LIVE!

Beck
    1993 Flatiron F5 Master
    2003 Randy Wood A5 2 Pointer

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
    -- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Steve Earle and the road go hand-in-hand, especially Copperhead Road and I Feel Alright.

Other road worthy CDs that come to mind include The Show by Yonder Mountain String Band, John Butler Trio's April Uprising, G.Love's Lemonade, Live Aloha from Hawaii's Imua (lots of catchy sing-along tracks on that one), and the Motion Picture Soundtracks for Traveller and Flushed Away.

Also, IMHO you can't go wrong with ITM for a road trip -- as well as anything with a pedal steel or twang to it.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront