Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why Old Time? Documentary

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Default Re: Why Old Time? Documentary

Well the first leg was from Texas to Richmond, Virginia.

On the matter of the video, I'd give it a rating of "6" on a 10-point scale. No mention of folks names, no mention of the subject festival (or the fiddle player that the festival is named for). No fun discussion about the crazy tune names or that aspect of the history. Alot of ruminations about "old-time" music (good stuff) and the feeling of being a part of old-time music (more good stuff). I watched the entire thing, my wife not so patient. I know a few of the folks that were on the video (lots of credibility), but the other folks (also seemingly credible) were not placed in context (i.e, name, where they're from - stuff like that).

I'm not saying while watching I was frustrated by the production, but just in reflection it seems stuff I wanted to hear more about was overlooked. Then again, I've never made a movie. . .

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I think fatt-dad nailed it. There is no denying that the quality of the film is excellent. But the names of the folks being interviewed, the names of the tunes, and the name of the festival remained a mystery. It seems like if they were trying to turn people on to the genre, more information would have been given to head them in that direction. I've seen other documentaries where a tune is being played and the name of the tune pops up on the screen, as well as the folks playing. And if that doesn't happen, it actually distracts me from enjoying the tune because I'm wondering who these people are and what they are playing. I guess I thought the whole point of the film was to make folks aware of the genre of Old-Time while offering those who already love it something to enjoy.

Like fatt-dad said, I'm not a filmmaker either, and I'm certainly not trying to toss tomatoes from the cheap seats, but just offer some constructive criticism. I thought maybe the filmmakers might chime in with some of their thoughts. It would be fun to hear from them, and I hope any criticism will be taken in the spirit of good will and not ill intent.

Overall, like has been said before, I enjoyed it and would like to see more from this group of filmmakers.

Blog Entries

You have to keep in mind the video was not made for you and me, insiders with knowledge and enthusiasm. It was made for a general audience who doesn't understand why uncle charlie plays that danged whatchacallit mandolele, and why do my neighbors Thursday evenings have all those guitar players come over, and you know what they don't even have a television, and my best friends wife, she has been playing music all her life, travels all over the place every summer, why she doesn't go to Nashville and become I pro I can't figure out, she doesn't have a CD out and doesn't even like country music, and what kind of music is that anyway its not country, its kind of like bluegrass isn't it, she plays these tunes I never heard of, kind of pretty, but with no words, and I saw some banjo players in Philadelphia once, they wore fancy clothes and strutted like peacocks on parade, and my nephew has taken up the cutest little mandolin, someday he will be big enough for a full sized guitar, and at least fishing I could understand, I don't fish mind you but its got to be better than just sitting around in a circle and playing music for nobody for free?

Granted the video doesn't do everything. But it sure does a whole lot.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Yeah, but if it made so my wife would understand my interest in old-time music it didn't work. I liked it, 'cause it was all about my peeps (well they'd all be my peeps if I knew them that's for sure). I highly recommend this movie continue its travels and all you all provide comment!

f-d

Kinda like having a title for your great American novel before you write the thing. They wanted to explain "Why Old-Time", and that was the focus of the film. In the end, that narrowed the perspective. Better would be "Who, what, where, then why".
    You are fortunate, fatt-dad, that she gives any part of a dam why you love to play. Mine couldn't care less if she tried.
    Mike Snyder

I'm pretty fortunate in the wife department. She plays music with me on octave mandolin and fiddle (she's an excellent singer and pianist as well). My oldest son (9) just got his first mandolin this week (bought right here on the Cafe!) and is coming along nicely. We are trying to live a simpler way of life by making our own music and doing "old" things like that as a family. Many nights after dinner we grab the instruments and play for a while. The youngest boy bangs on a dulcimer, and my little one-year-old daughter just dances around. My hope is that they will all want to play something as they get older. Life is good.
    Last edited by Caleb; Jul-30-2010 at 11:59am.

Blog Entries

Please put me in the queue for the video...No rush.

Caleb...I was heartened and I smiled when I read your post about simplifying your family life and including homemade music in it...

This will surely be beneficial for your family in every way...emotional, psychological, spiritual, physical, and social.

The image of a young man banging on the dulcimer while his sister dances around has brightened my day...

You're right...Life is good!

Thanks for the encouragement, Fast Eddie. You only get one shot at this family thing, so we're trying to make it count. It's amazing how creative people can become when they "unplug" from the distractions of everyday life (e.g. television, movies, too much internet) and get back into books, stories, games and making music together. There are many wonderful things to spend one's time and energy on that actually make a person grow, and most of it doesn't cost a thing. And more toward the subject at hand, I can sense that the folks in the documentary completely connect with that. It's about getting back to a simpler and more beautiful way of life. That's one of the things I like about Old-Time music.

Received the movie this past week and finished it last night (when you have a five-year-old everything is done in segments).

I really enjoyed it, despite agreeing that it could have used a bit more old-time music while answering the fundamental question posed. I couldn't agree more with Adam Tanner's thoughts on the sounds of bluegrass being so closely mingled with Old Time here in the Piedmont. We just tend to call things "picking" here as well, without regards to the origin. You're just as likely to play "Sally Ann" as you are to play "Uncle Pen". That sort of division or distinction that folks want to draw has been one of the things that has bothered me a bit about Old Time, especially as it seems like I play it more these days. When a friend and I started putting together a contra dance band, we immediately did away with the idea of trying to "de-grass" ourselves since it couldn't be done. We play like we play. Old Time with a bluegrass flavor.

I agree with Caleb about the simplification of life, and how this is a theme you can take away from this hobby. Since my wife and I started playing together we have had so much more fun than we once did in the evenings just waiting to go back to work---and there's something to be said for having someone to head to the festivals with that can cook...

I'll pass it along tomorrow.
    Steven E. Cantrell
    Campanella A

You guys have cost me more money! I ordered a copy today.

Is the DVD still making the rounds?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Is the DVD still making the rounds?
    I'm hopefully in the queue for the video...But as I indicated before, No rush. (I want to be sure to not 'cut the line').

Not sure of the protocol...Should I PM someone, or should I wait to be PMed by someone?

Caleb - Thanks again for initiating this rotation!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    I'm hopefully in the queue for the video...But as I indicated before, No rush. (I want to be sure to not 'cut the line').

Not sure of the protocol...Should I PM someone, or should I wait to be PMed by someone?

Caleb - Thanks again for initiating this rotation!
    I'm not too sure how it has worked; I think folks have just been PM-ing other members once they are done with it. But I have lost track of where it is, so hopefully someone will chime in and keep it going. That is the whole point.

Guys, I sent this DVD off to the next in line and it appears to have not made it. I am sending a fresh copy to Caleb today, so if you were asking about it you might want to ask him. Sorry about that, but I don't want to risk sending another...
    Steven E. Cantrell
    Campanella A

Just an update on the sage of the travelling DVD[s]. I never received a replacement copy, and I do not wish to receive one. If another copy was bought, I would rather it make the rounds as I intended for my copy to do. I'm not worried about getting back the DVD; if I were, I'd not have sent it out. I only wanted to share the film and hopefully spur on some good discussion on the matter, as well as give the genre of Old-Time music a shot in the arm. I could picture folk watching it with a friend, family member, or neighbor, etc. and getting someone turned on to the older stuff in the process. It only needs to be discovered by a few to keep it alive. This old music is vibrant and has the ability to deepen and beautify one's life if only given the chance.

At any rate, if the DVD[s] are out there, then by all means, keep it/them going. Something getting "lost" in the mail is pretty rare in my experience. I ship and receive a lot of media through Amazon and eBay deals, and in all my years I've never had something vanish into thin air. Having said that, I know the DVD is out there; just pass it on and keep the spirit of the thread -- and Old-Time music -- going.

Blog Entries

I understand that losing something in the mail is better than a corner stone time capsule. The DVD will resurface 100 years from now in the back of a spice market in Marrakech. The future of old time music is assured.

The entire staff
    funny....

I don't want to spoil the party, but feel I need to speak up.

I'm a documentary filmmaker and, unless you're Ken Burns, it's pretty dang tough to make any sort of living. No sour grapes here; I've had my films on PBS and the BBC, but the money they pay is drops in a big empty bucket.

If you like Old Time music, why not support it? Times are tough all around, I know, but buying a DVD for 20 bucks is a good way to support the filmmakers and their efforts to turn more people on to music that has brought you such joy. Someone above has written that they'd like to see more from these filmmakers, but how likely is that if we here at the Cafe, some of us being the film's most vital constituency, won't buy the DVD? In fact, the filmmakers may conclude that there's no market or interest in Old Time, due to poor sales.

I'm certainly not accusing anyone of anything devious. I'm guilty, like everybody else, of copying music or movies for friends, and we all draw the line at different places. Personally, I like to use my purchasing power as a sign of support for people who are doing things I believe in. For example, I don't mind buying a used copy of some Harry Potter book, but will always buy a new copy of a much less successful writer who has written a book on a subject dear to my heart.

I don't know, maybe I'm just bummed out these days. The most recent film is done, and the new one has reared its head, but I just don't know whether I want to go through with it all again. I'm a little too old to be broke.

OK: lament over. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Kessler View Post
    If you like Old Time music, why not support it? .
    I think that most folks who see it will buy it anyway. I don't know if purchase of the video benefits old time music in any direct way however, the guys made a movie about old time music and they are selling it, thats all I know.

But in general, I think if a particular type of dvd appeals to you, you should buy it, and if a lot of people like a certain kind of video, others will be motivated to make more of them.

The entire staff
    funny....

this is a community club about a documentary. I'd think it good for folks to be exposed to the film. Don't get the "cheating" aspect, my wife and I have loaned and borrowed books from friends many times over the years only to buy them as gifts later on for others. It's publicity. I like the discussion about this video.

Good luck in your film career.

f-d

Didn't mean to imply "cheating," Dad. Like I said, I do the same as you, making copies of things I like to loan out, or lending books.

This situation is a BIT different, though. A lot of very interested parties going to some effort to get the film around, when we, the film's target audience, could be showing our support. And buying the DVD DOES show support for Old Time music; it tells the filmmakers that there's interest in their subject, and may spur them on to do more in that vein.

Many is the time that someone has told me, "Hey, I saw your film and liked it. In fact, I taped it and am giving it to my friends." Believe it or not, it's not really the money lost that leaves be a bit crestfallen. But without factual viewing figures, I can't gauge the level of interest in my subject, and may just move on to another one.

And I, too, like this discussion of the film, and have learned from it, taking away lessons to apply to my own filmmaking.

Thanks for the good wishes re my career. I think I'm over yesterday's blues and have decided to take on the next film. Look for it in the frozen foods section of your grocery store.

Just for the record, I wouldn't support making copies of such material for the benefit of "sharing."

And, a parting thought: If I really liked this movie (I kind of didn't really like it that much), I'd would have bought it or used it as a gift idea. Yeah, I watched it. Yeah, I love old-time music. Yeah, I get the vibe of playing it and the fellowship, but. . . the movie just lacked some of the content I was hoping for.

I've seen documentaries that were so impressive I've told alot of friends about 'em. This was not one of those documentaries that the average non-musical friend would care about in the least bit (at least my non-musical friends).

Cheers!

f-d

I hear ya, Dad. I just felt I needed to contribute another perspective on the matter.

Cheers to you to!

Well, my copy of the film seems to have been lost. No big deal. But Steve Cantrell has told me via PM that he's purchasing another copy to start making the rounds (they just sold another copy, Jason --- cha-ching!). We'll see how this round goes.