Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Old Time? Documentary

Blog Entries

Default Re: Why Old Time? Documentary

Where the video is extremely useful is in orienting new mucisians as to what is what. I recently watched it with a newbie fiddler who exclaimed - "thats part of the exciement right? being part of something really really old and venerable."

I told her I didn't know about venerable.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

One thing that my wife and I noticed when watching it is that everytime someone got done playing a tune.... They smiled.

...That's why Old-Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Black View Post
    One thing that my wife and I noticed when watching it is that everytime someone got done playing a tune.... They smiled.
    Excellent observation. In fact, that's one of the things that most appeals to me about Old-Time (and even some Bluegrass): it doesn't take itself too seriously, and the musicians seem to be all about the music and not about image, sex appeal, fashion, etc. For the most part, there is an overall attitude of everyone just being themselves and not fussing over looking cool. It's the very antithesis of pop culture, where image is everything.

Adam Tanner is pretty cool. I love his OT picken' !
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    In fact, that's one of the things that most appeals to me about Old-Time (and even some Bluegrass): it doesn't take itself too seriously, and the musicians seem to be all about the music and not about image, sex appeal, fashion, etc. For the most part, there is an overall attitude of everyone just being themselves and not fussing over looking cool. It's the very antithesis of pop culture, where image is everything.
    Here here.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Black View Post

...That's why Old-Time!
    I have gotten into a bad habit. After playing a tune 4543863404 times in a jam, I will look around with a big smile and say "that'l work".

The entire staff
    funny....

Thanks for the info. I really wish they would have put the names under the faces during the film. I still have no clue why they didn't do this, but rather opted for a list of names during the credits as they appeared in order. Mr. Tanner certainly appears to have strong opinions on the subject of old-time music.
    Really? It all seemed pretty run of the mill to me, for a hard-core musician.
    "What you think is coming at you, may be coming from you." - Jack Flanders

Just watched it. It makes me want to go to Galax and some of the other festivals and conventions back East. Many of them spoke of being emersed in the music. That sure ain't where I'm at now. Old-Time is scarce hereabouts.
    Mike Snyder

The disc has passed from my hands. Thanks, Caleb. Gone to California. The new recipient should be chiming in soon. It mostly made me very nostalgic for the days when I lived closer to the metropolitan areas of Kansas and the short stint I did in northern Arkansas.
    I love small town life, but the rural musical tradition is not strong in my area. Sob, snif.
    Mike Snyder

Mike...To give you some hope....Winfield is less than 55 days away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    The disc has passed from my hands. Thanks, Caleb. Gone to California. The new recipient should be chiming in soon. It mostly made me very nostalgic for the days when I lived closer to the metropolitan areas of Kansas and the short stint I did in northern Arkansas.
    I love small town life, but the rural musical tradition is not strong in my area. Sob, snif.
    I know how you feel. The only Old-Time music scene I've been able to find in my area is in my own living room on Sat. afternoons. Some friends and I decided to go for it and start a jam; it's been great so far (we're about two months into it). None of us are entirely sure of what we're doing, so we're learning together how to make a jam work. We're just picking old songs that get our attention and trying to make them our own. I think it will turn into something beautiful. I hope so anyway.

55 days, I have my tickets, my camper is finally livable, life is good. Thanks, Mike, you've lifted my spirits. Caleb, if it wasn't so far, I'd be there Saturday.
    Mike Snyder

Blog Entries

I know how you feel. The only Old-Time music scene I've been able to find in my area is in my own living room on Sat. afternoons. Some friends and I decided to go for it and start a jam; it's been great so far .
    That is the way all the jams start. That is the only way things get started.

Soon enough the friends of your friends will take up banjos and guitars and fiddles and mandolins and ask to sit in and bring a dish to pass and then the children and grand children of your friends and their friends will come and then there will be tune lists and posters and web sites. It will get too big for your living room and you will have to move it out to the barn, and then to the community center or the church basement. Or it will break up into a slow jam for newbies and a regular jam for the regulars, or a jam with tune books for the paper trained.

World wide fraternal organizations, religions, political movements, all have started with nothing more than a few like minded individuals get together and.......

If we are of a mindset to pursue making our own music rather than just adopting the music the popular culture hands us, we have what it takes to make our own jams, rather than wait for others to hand them to us.

Caleb your post makes my weekend!

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    That is the way all the jams start. That is the only way things get started.

Soon enough the friends of your friends will take up banjos and guitars and fiddles and mandolins and ask to sit in and bring a dish to pass and then the children and grand children of your friends and their friends will come and then there will be tune lists and posters and web sites. It will get too big for your living room and you will have to move it out to the barn, and then to the community center or the church basement. Or it will break up into a slow jam for newbies and a regular jam for the regulars, or a jam with tune books for the paper trained.

World wide fraternal organizations, religions, political movements, all have started with nothing more than a few like minded individuals get together and.......

If we are of a mindset to pursue making our own music rather than just adopting the music the popular culture hands us, we have what it takes to make our own jams, rather than wait for others to hand them to us.
    Excellent perspective, Jeff. Very well said.

I'm the lucky gal who received the traveling DVD from Mike here at my house. I'll watch it tomorrow night. I can send it on it's way to the next lucky recipient Wednesday. Who would like to have it?
    Kate
    these are the good old days.

Well, that was a real treat. Thank you so much for sharing it with the Café, Caleb. Firstly, old time is what I love to play and what I can’t seem to get enough of, so I’m sure I’m biased. I loved how, in the movie, I could hear people who played also be interviewed. They would try to articulate what lights them up about old time. It was fun to hear people try to describe the difference between old time and bluegrass. There was a little of the rivalry stuff, but mostly it was genuine reaching to articulate some differences that are there, even for a person who likes both styles. It was fun to watch someone search for words to describe why they like old time so much. And I loved hearing the tunes people picked out to play.

I recognized Bruce Molsky, but I have no idea what lots of folks whose names I know and music I know look like, so I would have loved to see their name as they were interviewed. Three or four of those tunes I would have liked to know the name of. So I may have to go back and see if I can figure out from the list of tunes, and the place in the film when it was played, what the tune was. But that’s all just quibbling. It was just great fun to watch. The banjo playing was really a treat. And this once I guess it’s ok that I didn’t have time to practice after dinner.

If no one is panting to have it straight away, I’d love to have my banjo playing pal see it before it heads out again. If whoever wants it can hold out, and if it’s ok with you, Caleb, I’ll pass it on to her and get it back after we practice Saturday night and be ready to ship it out to the next person Monday morning. Thanks again for sharing. That was very generous of you.
    Kate

It was fairly obvious, by those pregnant pauses, that these folks felt somthing from the music that was intangible. They were all very articulate, yet there was that moment of introspective wonder as they searched for words to describe a feeling, a sense of wonder that they get from old-time music. I feel a sense of connection with the folks I play old-time with which was never there with the many bluegrass crowds I've played with. There's always that sense of "How hot a picker are you?" in bluegrass, because of the nature of the music. Solo breaks sure measure your virtuosity. In old time, the virtuosity takes a backseat to community of purpose. The conta/ITM/old-time crowd I play with has plenty of VERY good musicians, yet I can sit next to any of them and feel an equal part of the whole. They are certainly aware that I can be a clumbsy picker, at times. They have never closed me out, passed me over or made any comment on my sortcomings. I sure as heck cannot say that about the bluegrassers. The video reinforced all the good vibes I get from playing old-time.
    Mike Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by Kate D. View Post
    If no one is panting to have it straight away, I’d love to have my banjo playing pal see it before it heads out again. If whoever wants it can hold out, and if it’s ok with you, Caleb, I’ll pass it on to her and get it back after we practice Saturday night and be ready to ship it out to the next person Monday morning.
    Sounds like a plan. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I'd love to be on the mailing list.
    Steven E. Cantrell
    Campanella A

You've got it, Steve. Private message me your mailing address and I'll send it out to you on Monday.
    Kate

Thanks, Kate! I'll pass it along or send it back as requested.
    Steven E. Cantrell
    Campanella A

Steve: I've had some folks PM me about the availability of the film. So please just post on here when you're done with it and I'm sure someone will chime in shortly wanting it.

Too bad we haven't kept a mileage log on that video. It's been a fur piece, so far.
    Mike Snyder

No kidding, Mike. After things got started I thought it would have been fun to include a postcard or something like that so people could write where it's been.

No problem, Caleb. I actually got a PM from Mando Nick just after I got on the list asking if he could get it next---just let me know if I am jumping anyone in line.
    Steven E. Cantrell
    Campanella A