Thread: Schertler or LR Baggs?

Default Schertler or LR Baggs?

So I'm serisously considering using a pickup and I've narrowed it down to the Dyn-M from Schertler or the LR Baggs Radius. I've heard that Schertlers can have feedback issues but they produce the best acoustic sound. Anybody with any experience playing with these two pickups please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Destroyer of Mandolins

Default Re: Schertler or LR Baggs?

I own both, but seldom perform with them (I'm more of a piezo guy). I've never experienced any significant feedback with either. The Schertler has different sound than the Baggs, but they are very different technologies with different advantages.

It comes down to this: What will you be doing with it? If you're in relatively calm venues performing concerts, the Schertler is my favorite. If it's a loud group with drums and electric guitars, I like the Baggs. If somebody is likely to knock you over and puke on your mandolin, go for piezos.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Quote Originally Posted by Tim2723 View Post
    I'm more of a piezo guy... If somebody is likely to knock you over and puke on your mandolin, go for piezos.
    So putting those quotes together, can you share tips for getting puke out of your mandolin?

Destroyer of Mandolins

Never found out how. I just buy a new one. Seriously.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

myself, Ive never had a feedback issue with my Schertler except if I hold the mandolin right in front of the amp.

It's a source , put any pickup on a soundboard, and if the amplification rings the top of the instrument,
    The feed back loop is closed .

the rest of the stage arrangement and room acoustics are a separate issue, to sort out.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I've played with electric guitars, drums, etc, with a schertler. Feedback typically wasn't an issue in the veunes, but in the tiny little garage we practiced in, it could be. My solution was to plug the f-holes with pieces of soundproofing foam. Any relatively dense foam should work, and it doesn't alter the tone, surprisingly.

John Jorgenson gets a great sound (albiet a Gypsy Jazz Guitar sound) with the Schertler. He uses a 5mm pick with agressive GJ downstrokes,and his live sound it pretty darn good. He runs it through a Radial PZ-Pre ( which is awesome btw!!). I'm looking to get a Schertler setup for my Gitane', and ideally, would like to use it for Mandolin as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rossiter View Post
    John Jorgenson gets a great sound (albiet a Gypsy Jazz Guitar sound) with the Schertler. He uses a 5mm pick with agressive GJ downstrokes,and his live sound it pretty darn good. He runs it through a Radial PZ-Pre ( which is awesome btw!!). I'm looking to get a Schertler setup for my Gitane', and ideally, would like to use it for Mandolin as well.
    Unless things have changed, the PZ-Pre doesn't have a balanced XLR input jack (just a couple of 1/4 inchers), and so it won't work with the stock Schertler Dyn-M. It could work with the semi-permanently installed C-Dyn-L, but that's something of a different animal.
    This has been an issue with the Schertler - it turns out that there are very few preamps that take a balanced XLR type input. The D-Tar Solstice is one (and pricey), and there are a few mini-mixer type things that would also qualify. Or you could use an acoustic amp, which tend to have XLR jacks aimed at actual microphone use. Not ideal, I agree.
    Dan P,
    Victoria, BC

Schertler sells a good pre amp. The Schertler is a mic. Pretty much any mic pre amp will work fine. Not a problem. Also, if you play through a PA any good mixer will have mic pre amps and that is all you need. Again, not a problem.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

I don't use my Schertler with a preamp. It seems like overkill since every PA in the world works just fine with any dynamic microphone. I may soon add an XLR with an on/off switch, just to kill the signal when I tune.

You can't beat the transparent tone.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

FWIW, Schertler's Pre 2, 3, .. has function more if you have a powered monitor that you want some tone and volume control over,
    and still send a Dry signal to the House Board..

Noting: Roland AC 60 rendered that feature redundant , should I use it as a Monitor, it has a TRS dry + XLR sends, Post T&V.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I recently acquired a Schertler, and I love it. However, for my tastes it requires some eq to cut the mids. I was able to accomplish some of what I wanted through the eq on the PA, but I found that I had more control shaping the sound with a pre-amp/eq. When I asked in another thread about using a pre-amp/eq (Fishman was the example I used), I got the same answer about the pre-amp not having a balanced XLR input. That seems easy enough to get around, and I have done so, with an XLR to 1/4-inch cable. I'm seriously considering acquiring a Radius ToneBone Pre-Z, which has some great features and came highly recommended by another poster here as well as fairly glowing reviews elsewhere. For me, this unit is primarily for eq capabilities, a mute switch/tuner output, and a gain boost switch. The signal from the Pre-Z seems to be plenty hot enough by itself, so I'm looking to the Pre-Z primarily for the aforementioned features.

So here's a question for those in the know: Are there any negative impacts resulting from the XLR to 1/4-inch connection?

One thing, you lose the separation of the signal return (-) from within shielding of the grounded braided part of the 3 conductor cable .
    as you short Ring and Sleeve together. less RFI rejection. may matter in longer runs,

If there is a DI output on the pre or a DI is the next thing in the signal chain
    the TRS/XLR cable wiring scheme can be regained,

of course there is always a bit of noise added with any bit of gear added in the chain.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Hi, to stick to the original question:

I had both on trial, and went for the DYN.
    However, using ANY of them live requires additional equipment, for the baggs a PADI (cheaper than the venue, find it on ebay or something), and for the DYN, a parametric equalizer (or 10+ band graphic) is needed. Some people disagree, and like the DYN right out of the box, so you might get lucky.

Feedback-wise, I think they are to close to compare.

Btw, I favored the DYN over the radius, mostly because of the pick/handling noise of the radius. The DYN is more silent.
    And: I got a great deal on the DYN pricewise, and then found a beringer rack unit 5 band parametric mono EQ with balanced routing used at 17$) not the greatest EQ of all time, but it has the Q (octave range dial) to really notch out the 800 Hz, which is my problem area. It's a big box, but cheap

In a price/worth comparison, the radius scores higher, with me...

Maybe ask your dealer if you can take them home, or just try them somewhere. You can then make your own conclusions.

Regards from DK
    2003 (#173) Collings MF5
    1995 Stelling Golden Cross
    2006 Rozawood RD-18

I like the Baggs. Kind of "thumpy" with lots of lows, but I use a Baggs Para-acoustic DI to help eq it out.
    Nick Alberty

Phillipians 4:13

2001 Gibson Flatiron Festival
    2002 Gibson Fern (signed by Roberts)

Another thing to consider is if you'll be using pedals or not. The schertler is a pain to use with pedals, unless you've got an amp or pre with an fx loop.