Thread: My Siminoff H-5 Mandola Kit

Default My Siminoff H-5 Mandola Kit

I finally finished my Siminoff, H-5 kit.

I did post a few in-progress pictures on another thread but now that I have it finished, I thought I would post some pictures here as well.

….It all started about a year ago when a friend of mine let me play his AL Smart mandola. I fell in love the way it played and really enjoyed the thick, rich tone it produced. I got to play it once a week with the Mandolin Orchestra. But, once a week just wasn’t enough and it didn’t take long for me to decide that I needed my own mandola. Buying a nice mandola turned out to be a lot harder than I expected. I looked around for something under ~$2,000 but didn’t like what was available.

I had already purchased Roger’s H-5 plans thinking I might build one… but now I just wanted to play one - not build one. That is why I ordered this kit from Roger with everything I could get done….hoping it would take less time to finish. The kit still needed some final shaping of the scroll & neck. It needed frets and fretboard installed; Cutting the binding ledge and install binding; Cut and fit the bone nut and points; and, sand & finish.

Honestly, I thought there would be a lot less work then there actually was. Seems like it took forever...but now that it's done, I am very pleased with the way it turned out. It does have a rich, smooth, velvety mandola tone and is every bit as exciting/gratifying to play as my friend’s Smart.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headstock..jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	59234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top_Angle..jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	59235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BackView..jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	59236  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front..jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	59237   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TopScroll..jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	59238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Full_Back..jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	234.3 KB 
ID:	59239  

Default Re: My Siminoff H-5 Mandola Kit

I love that. I had just recently started thinking about a Siminoff kit. Your mandola looks so good, that it's convinced me to order a kit from Roger.

Well, you've done one heck of a fine job on this, and should be proud as punch!
    Enjoy!
    Malcolm Grundy from Montreal

When you build them yourself, and do a careful job, you get so much more than just a good instrument.....
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Definitely a beauty. You did a great job on it, and gives me some encouragement and motivation to do one later in the year.

I am also amazed at how much work it takes to finish a kit instrument even though some of the hardest parts had already been done by someone else. I started a Stew-Mac guitar kit earlier in the year, and now that I have the body all assembled, my build process is hitting a bit a plateau as I am able to start on the neck shaping and finishing etc. Each one of these post-assembly processes is not really difficult in and of itself. But it is time consuming, and if I skimp on the effort, I will definitely see it in the results.

Blog Entries

Congratulations. That's one to be very proud of.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Thats nice, you did a great job. I might do one of those myself. How many hours did you have in it?

You did an awesome job. My soon to be wife would die to have one. She loves her viola.
    07 KM 1000

pchristie, you did very nice work! I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by barrangatan View Post
    Definitely a beauty. You did a great job on it, and gives me some encouragement and motivation to do one later in the year.

I am also amazed at how much work it takes to finish a kit instrument even though some of the hardest parts had already been done by someone else. I started a Stew-Mac guitar kit earlier in the year, and now that I have the body all assembled, my build process is hitting a bit a plateau as I am able to start on the neck shaping and finishing etc. Each one of these post-assembly processes is not really difficult in and of itself. But it is time consuming, and if I skimp on the effort, I will definitely see it in the results.
    Let me first thank you all for your suportive comments.
    barrangatan, your comments about post-assembly is consistant with what I experinced as well. Seems I was really worried that I was going to mess it all up - So, I felt a strong need to stay focused on each step. Probably spent way too much time scratching my head and thinking about the current task rather than just implementing it. Don't really have any idea how may hours I have in it - Started working in ernest (some weekends and some nights) on my mandola over the Christmas break. So.... took about five months to finish.

Incredibly happy that I’m finally finished building it. Really is much more fun to play than it was to build. And, because I built it, it’s really much more fun to play. The building experience wasn't really all that bad (just slow). I got to break it in this past weekend at the Kerrville Folk Festival. That was fun, and the other instruments never even left their cases...

Blog Entries

Sure is a thing of beauty you created. For those mandolin players who has never played a mandola all I can say is that it is such a thrill -- a totally different sound and feeling with minimally different skills & effort need -- just a pure joy. I fully understand why the 'dola took over the weekend!!!

I'm taking a more timid route. I had another discussion to with a local mandolin builder who has agreed to assemble, stain and finish my kit. He builds really F-5's from scratch so I know he can handle it. Also he tap tunes so I am thinking I'll let him do some adjusting on the graduation as he sees fit. I think he is intrigued with the idea of a mandola. Mine will be stained to exactly match my F-5 Fern. Really cannot decide on what kind of inaly I'll put on the headstock -- lots of ideas.....
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

That's a *very* nice instrument. I'm anxiously awaiting delivery of a custom mandola kit from Roger. It will have Black Walnut back, rims, and neck, and a 20-inch octave mandolin scale. Supposed to ship next week! :-)