Thread: Fretboard Toolbox Mandolin Lessons

Default Fretboard Toolbox Mandolin Lessons

Hello Everyone!

I've just posted some YouTube video lessons (scroll down to "See the Instructional Videos on YouTube" link) showing how to use a new kind of learning aide I've created called "Fretboard Toolbox Mandolin Edition". The videos I've posted show how the system works: why mandolin tuning works like it does, how chords are built on the fretboard, and where notes for each key are found on the fretboard. Subsequent videos will show more advanced ideas in music theory that can be learned with the toolbox, but these at least show the big picture ideas that might help you see music and your mandolin in a new way.

Here's what two-time Kansas Fiddling and Picking youth award winner, 1999 Kansas Fiddling and Picking mandolin champion, and 2000 RockyGrass mandolin winner Joe Pickett had to say about it- "The Fretboard Toolbox Mandolin Edition is a great visual reference, and way to learn theory, chord building, and soloing in a useful book format. It's helpful for beginners learning the basics, all the way up to advanced players wanting to learn to create advanced chord voicings. This is something that I am looking to turn my mandolin students onto, because I can see how it will help them advance more quickly by being able to visualize how theory applies to their fretboard in all the most commonly played keys."

If you all have any suggestions for the videos, or something else you'd like to see explained about Fretboard Toolboxes, please email me at scott@fretboard-toolbox.com

Happy Music Making!

Default Re: Fretboard Toolbox Mandolin Lessons

Based on some of the feedback I received, I have added annotations to my Mandolin Chord-Building Lesson YouTube video that should explain how music theory applies to the mandolin in more detail. Thanks for the suggestions that have been made via my email address! Any further comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Happy music making!

Scott