Thread: Changing positions, as in How High The Moon

Default Changing positions, as in How High The Moon

If you are playing "How High The Moon" in G, obviously the tune passes through several tonal centers. It start in G, moves down a whole tone to F, then to Eb.

Let's say you are playing the straight melody, with your index finger at the fifth fret. You get to measure 5 with the Fmaj7. You can move down two frets so your index finger is at the third fret and finger everything the same, or you can just stay where you were (at the fifth fret) and play the F major phrase there.

Similar situations come up all the time in tunes and I know this relates to Ted Eschilman's FFcP framework. I am curious as to how other mandolin players approach these brief excursions into other keys (tonal centers). Move to a new position, or stay where you were?

Default Re: Changing positions, as in How High The Moon

When I play that tune I shift down from G to F as you mentioned,and eventually use that same position for the Eb phrases, based at fret one on the D string.

I like to practice 3 ways. One is as described above, shifting a whole step down when the key center moves a whole step down.

Second is stay in one position and simply adjust the scale fingering for the new key centers.

Third is when the key center changes, ascend either a half step or whole step. In this case, first position for G, second position for F, third for Eb.

I have found that practicing all three gives me options for many different phrases when real playing time comes around.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

4. May-23-2010, 11:11am

Thanks. I remember Dix Bruce saying once that if you want to get out of a rut, try playing the same tune in the same key in a different position. It takes some discipline when you know it would be so much easier to play if you just changed position. It changes your sound, too. Playing up high on a low string sounds different than playing low on a high sting.

Blog Entries

Its all about how it sounds. Playing the same notes on different strings gives opportunities for different harmonies. Different double stops are more reachable from different positions. I tend to stay in one position till I remind myself, hey if I try it here I might be able to do this or that.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....