Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why shouldn't I use a guitar pick on my mando?

Default Why shouldn't I use a guitar pick on my mando?

Granted, I've only been playing mando for a week, but a guitar pick seems to work just fine. Any thoughts out there?

Default Re: Why shouldn't I use a guitar pick on my mando?

I took a lesson with Roland White. He used a guitar pick, if I remember correctly.

Blog Entries

Many players find that the mandolin works better with a thicker stiffer pick than they use with guitar. Others disagree.

If its working for you, thats great.

Except remembering which case you left the pick in.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

There's no rules.

I started with heavy guitar picks, then found that it all sounded better when the pick rotated to the blunter corners - and so on.

If you look through the threads, you may see that along with MAS, most of us have PAS .

I believe the longest threads involve pick discussion.
    Malcolm Grundy from Montreal

Also keep in mind that no matter what works for you today, it will certainly change over time (as do all things).

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

What JeffD said...
    KristinEliza

Facebook

...and what Len said too - I found that as my technique improved, my preference in picks changed.

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

There is nothing wrong with using anything or try anything if a pick works for you. I find if I'm strumming then I'd use a medium one but for a lot of picking or doing the bluegrass chop then a hard pick works best for me. You get more drive, volume, fat tone using a hard pick. I guess it all depends on what kind of music you are playing and I'm sure the classical mandolin players will use a different one. Anyway my thoughts. Now would a pick made from quality materials sound better than your run of the mill plastic? Or is it in your fingers?
    Hubert

If you want to experiement with some thicker picks, check out Dix Bruce's listing in the classifieds for a thick pick sampler pack: 10 picks for $8.00 shipped.

(NFI)
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

What's a "mandolin" pick? A pick is a pick, some better suited to a player's requirements than others.. It serves no useful purpose to let superficial definitions limit us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    What's a "mandolin" pick? A pick is a pick, some better suited to a player's requirements than others.. It serves no useful purpose to let superficial definitions limit us.
    +1.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

I try to use the same or fairly similar picks on guitar and mandolin, the picking techniques are fairly similar and there is no adjustment period if I am switching picks.
    Back as a small fish in a big, city shaped pond.

http://www.myspace.com/stevequattrocchi

I'm not sure if I am countering or supporting your point, but these are definitely "mandolin picks":
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

You can use a guitar pick. I did for years but instead of a medium pick I switched to a heavy pick and then extra heavy. I found after a few years of playing that since the string length of the mandolin was so short compared to a guitar and double courses of string you just need (but not essential) the extra stiffness of a heavy pick for the higher string tension of a mandolin.

To me it is just easier to play and sounds better with a stiffer pick on a mandolin. But like someone said there are no rules imagine my surprise when I found out one of my favorite pickers and former teacher Herschel Sizemore uses a very small thin TS pick and no one can deny the great tone and sound he can pull out of a mandolin.

I have since switched to a Bluechip pick that is more of a triangle and pretty stiff and I love this pick it is just right for me. Now when I use a thinner pick I just feel I cannot dig in when I need to when I play.

But really it's all in what you get used to. I never thought I would change my pick but I did and you will too probably eventually.

I think almost as fun as playing the mandolin is trying out all the different picks, strings, accessories etc. that you can get now a days!

It's about the music, the mandolin, strings and picks and such are just tools.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

You can use a guitar pick. I did for years but instead of a medium pick I switched to a heavy pick and then extra heavy. I found after a few years of playing that since the string length of the mandolin was so short compared to a guitar and double courses of string you just need (but not essential) the extra stiffness of a heavy pick for the higher string tension of a mandolin.

To me it is just easier to play and sounds better with a stiffer pick on a mandolin. But like someone said there are no rules imagine my surprise when I found out one of my favorite pickers and former teacher Herschel Sizemore uses a very small thin TS pick and no one can deny the great tone and sound he can pull out of a mandolin.

I have since switched to a Bluechip pick that is more of a triangle and pretty stiff and I love this pick it is just right for me. Now when I use a thinner pick I just feel I cannot dig in when I need to when I play.

But really it's all in what you get used to. I never thought I would change my pick but I did and you will too probably eventually.

I think almost as fun as playing the mandolin is trying out all the different picks, strings, accessories etc. that you can get now a days!

My son uses his drivers license (or a credit card).

It depends on what I'm playing as to what type pick I use. Mostly I use a guitar pick though. I play elec. mandos with a guitar pick and acoustic with a mando pick. I started with an extra light but have gone to a heavy.

seems a guitar pick gets gripped more tightly and the pick is thinner whereas a mandolin pick is thicker and the grip allows it to move a little more .. , and triplets and tremolo are harder to accomplish with a thin pick, But you will start to work in that is upcoming weeks , right? jaycat..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

So you all are saying that thick picks are mando picks and thin ones are guitar picks? That's funny, Clay Hess uses a nice heavy Blue Chip on his guitar.

I use a BC 50 for both.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Chord strumming singers who accompany themselves have different needs,
    than a flat picker playing fiddle tunes on their guitar, as a broad generalization ..

YMMV
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

So you all are saying that thick picks are mando picks and thin ones are guitar picks? That's funny, Clay Hess uses a nice heavy Blue Chip on his guitar.
    Maybe there'd be less confusion if the correct terminology was used. They are actually called flatpicks. There's no such thing as a "guitar pick" or a "mandolin pick". There are only flatpicks. Lots and lots and lots of different kinds of flatpicks.

You mean plectra? I think that you are making my point. Thank you.

You mean plectra? I think that you are making my point. Thank you.
    You're welcome, although I don't know if most will agree.

As for the word plectrum, I guess that's a synonym for flatpick. To me it seems like an old term that has given way to the modern word "flatpick".

I like the old ways, "No part of nothin'" and all that.