Thread: Octave Mandolin Pickup

Default Octave Mandolin Pickup

Hi,
    Brand new to the forum. Santa Claus brought me an octave mandolin and I'm wondering what would be the best choice in pickups. I've looked at the K&K Twin Internal and was wondering about opinions or other suggestions.
    Tks Ernie

Default Re: Octave Mandolin Pickup

I have a K&K twin internal on my Mendel OM. I run the output through a Baggs Gigpro into a Crate CA30 acoustic amp, which is a very modest rig. I am very happy with the sound.

I have had many different pickups but now I am pretty much settled on the K&K with an Orchid DI or Orchid Pre Amp and I am really happy. An alternative preamp would be the K&K preamps but my experience is the Orchid is superior - also more expensive. Frankly you could use an Orchid DI with a PA and make any minor eq adjustments at the desk and do really well - gets all the extra junk in must pre amps out of the signal and works well. Orchid makes a mutable DI that is not very expensive and it works real well with the K&K.
    Last edited by Rob Gerety; Mar-24-2011 at 6:37pm.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Thanks. I'll probably go with the K&K pickup. I've got a Baggs Gigpro (never heard of Orchid but I'll definitely check it out) so it should work out well. Ernie

I've been using various K&K's with and without my Gigpro. I find that on the octaves and zouks the K&K's sound pretty nice straight into the board. With the mandolin I could use a little more EQ than the Gigpro affords.

I'll toss this in as I do on every K&K post. My first internal pickup mount I did I used a K&K twin, and I am happy with the sound. I still have it. However, a fellow cafe member told me about JJB pickups. I have since mounted these in six other instruments from fiddle to mandocello (including two OM's), and I am just as happy with the sound and quality. They are just as good and cost much less. FYI, NFI.

I have found that with the K&K pickups in guitar and mandolin I need almost no eq whatsoever if I use an Orchid Pre amp or DI. I don't know if this is the impedance issue or not. But I do note that both the Orchid products have a 1 meg input impedance spec which is what K&K recommends. Not so sure about the gig pro spec.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

I've never heard of JJB pickups before but I had a look at their website. Great prices and reviews for sure. Looks like it's coming down to K&K or JJB. Thanks for all the input.
    Ernie