Thread: "Go to newest" button not working on some threads

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Default "Go to newest" button not working on some threads

In some threads, like the "The most ridiculous instrument you've ever seen" thread, I push the little button that takes me to the first post that I haven't read, and it doesn't work. It takes me to post number one. I have to then scroll all the way down to the bottom and hit the "last" button. I have seen this on other threads, too, but I don't remember which ones, offhand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CafeThursday..jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	58082  

Blog Entries

Default Re: "Go to newest" button not working on some threads

I've seen this as well on a couple of threads. I thought maybe I wasn't clicking on the right spot and repeated with the same results. I get this at work on IE (ancient version) and at home on Firefox 3.6.3. Lee, there is a page chooser (including Last) at the top of the page as well.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

I've always understand this to mean the first new post you've not viewed in a thread you've previously visited. In that case, if it's taking you to be first post every time then you're either in a new thread you've never viewed, or you're taking some kind of browser action that's erasing your cookie--it has to be cookie based since I'm sure the forum doesn't have a record of every single thread you've ever viewed.
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; May-06-2010 at 10:08pm.

I've been testing this one out too, and it is kind of weird. Cookies on and before and after clearing all history/cache/cookies, If I click on the icon you pointed out, it takes me to the first post. If I click on the thread title from the forum main page it takes me to the last post. If I click on the "go to last post" icon to the right of the thread title (the fast forward symbol on grey) it takes me to the post after the last one that was there previously. Other boards of the same build I've been on are identical. Same results under Safari. Possibly a misinterpretation of cookies/odd cookie management or my guess, an issue with a security add-on. I really don't know though, I'm an idiot, but a quick cross-check with google chrome and everything is working as it should.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

I'm on a company network that won't let me delete my own cookies or cache. I'd be surprised if my cookies were automatically deleted... the reason they want to keep 'em in there is in case somebody is doing something bad, there'll be a "paper trail". I've just noticed this about certain threads. I'll keep an eye out for which ones do it.