Thread: Flatiron A model mandolins...

Default Flatiron A model mandolins...

I'd like to know more about the Flatiron A models mandolins. I know there were several models(Festival, Performer, etc.), but I'd like to know which was the top-of-the-line at the time and, if anyone knows, how much they sold for new at the time. I see a few advertised at times and might be interested in owning one, but only if I would know more about them.
    Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Flatiron A model mandolins...

Possibly everything you always wanted to know about Flatirons can be found by skimming through these threads. I think there was a similar question asked and answered a few years back. My '94 Flatiron Festival is here. The Festival appears to be the lower end of the carved top Flatiron models. You also should be aware that Gibson ressurected the name on a pacrim instrument in the last few years as well. There are discussions of that in the first group of threads I referenced.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I'm just curious what's the relavance to knowing the original purchase price? My '84 Flatiron A5-1 was the lowest trim line (for the archtops) at the time it was made. It may have sold for under $1,000.00 (don't know). For you to buy it from me, you'd still have to pay me what I think it's worth. That'd be a lot of money!

I love these Flatiron A-models. That said, I get lost in the "value" of the Festival, Performer and Artist lines. Play one you like and buy it. You can google some of the historical pricing (check out www.vintagemandolin.com).

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

For whatever it may be worth, I paid $369 for my new A5Jr in 1985.

D.H.

5. The following members say thank you to Dave Hicks for this post:

Thanks for the input. I see that my question about original cost isn't very clear. I guess I was just interested in knowing how much of a difference there was from one model to the others originally, which I now see isn't as important as what they actually sell for today. I'll keep an eye on current market prices to get a better feel for what one could be worth. I have done some reading already and found out about the Gibson involvement, etc., so I assume maybe the pre-Gibson models could hold more of value. Thanks again.
    Dave

I believe the "Artist" models are considered the top of the line in terms of trim...inlay, binding, gold hardware vs. nickel, etc...

They are usually priced higher than the other models.

That being said..it;s hard to go wrong with an old Flatiron A. Lots of bang for the $$$
    No...YOU stand back.

F-D I paid $351, less tax, for my A5-JR in 1984.

Still got it. How bout you Dave?
    Bill

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I paid $1,200.00 for my '84 A5-1 about 7 years ago. At the time I bought it (Gruhn), I had no idea about pre-Gibson, Steve Carlson or pretty much anything. I just figured it was a good mandolin and it was less than the Derrington-signed Gibson A5 that I was also considering ($1,800.00 at that time). My A5-1 is signed by Carlson, for what that's worth (i.e., maybe something in resale, but I'm not selling).

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Van Liere View Post
    F-D I paid $351, less tax, for my A5-JR in 1984.

Still got it. How bout you Dave?
    I do indeed - it's my only acoustic mando, actually. (I've played more guitar than mando in recent years, I must confess.)

D.H.