Thread: How do you setup your mic stands?

Default How do you setup your mic stands?

Interested in how people setup their instrument mic and vocal stands
    I always seem to be bumping when changing instruments( I sit so there is not room to step back)

Anyone have any photos?

Thanks

Robert VanLane

Default Re: How do you setup your mic stands?

If you use a boom then you can swing the inst. boom away (or both)and give yourself some room to change instruments. You can always move the stand forward, but that is easier if both mics are on one stand. If you are using an inst. mic and vocal mic i like to use one stand and mount what i call a take off to the vocal stand for the inst. mic to attach, and use a short boom or gooseneck for the inst. mic.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

one of these will let you put your instrument mic on the shaft of the same boom mic stand.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...and?sku=451006

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...oom?sku=452057
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I've used a goose neck to attach the instrument mic halfway down the stand but I'm down to using a single condenser for vocal and instrument. Most of the time we single mic it for the group. At times I'll pop out several condenser mics.

I use the second "side" boom Mandroid references all the time. I'm a firm believer in the boom stand so that the vertical "pole" is farther away from where you're standing. Now trying out a single condenser mic for vocal plus instrument, and I'll put it on a telescoping boom so that the height is just below my chin.

Changing instruments is a challenge. I don't usually change mid-song, so I can step over to the side to put down one and pick up the other. It might help to locate the stands over to one side, so that you can turn away on the stool or chair to make the adjustment. I've banged a few dings into instruments with mics, but I find it's a lot easier if the vertical pole is further away from me, and the mic is angled on a boom.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

when we use condensor mic we use two about 5 feet apart about chest level to pick up vocals and instruments (there are 5 of us)

when we use dynamic mics I have been using the mic clamps that clamp to the boom mic so you only use one mic stand for 2 mics. I put a 4" gooseneck in the lower instrument mic so you can move it around some. We do 2 mics like this and then 3 instrument mics each for the fiddle, bass and banjo.

I don't mic' instruments, I use PA/DI. As for vocals and harp and kazoo and such, I like a boom stand placed really high and leaning down toward my voice. That said, I often bump my head into my vocal mic when I'm concerned with playing an instrument, it's like a comedy of errors. The things that I most often putz with live are the placement of my mic' and my wah. I've gotten the mic' placement thing down to an art when I sit down to play lap steel, but in keeping with set pacing, my duo partner sometimes drops the mic' down for me if I'm swapping instruments.

I play a lot of dances and having a boom is an invitation to an accident, like an enthusiastic dancer crashing into the boom and the mic crashing into my instrument. Goosenecks are cheap and work quite nicely p-- easily moved out of the way when not needed too.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Another technique that works , longer Goose-neck can be attached to the middle of the shaft with a common radiator hose-clamp.

so you can use one stand and even fit 2 flexible goose-necks..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

We play a lot of dances and if a dancer is close enough to hit the mic stand, then they have already fallen over the monitors. Which i have had happen a time or two. Seems every one wants to be close to the band. I still like a boom as opposed to a goose neck.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I play a lot of dances and having a boom is an invitation to an accident, like an enthusiastic dancer crashing into the boom and the mic crashing into my instrument. Goosenecks are cheap and work quite nicely p-- easily moved out of the way when not needed too.
    I have found that a good way to set up a boom stand in small crowded places is with the boom placed sideways (parallel to the edge of the stage) and with one of the three feet pointing against you. This might save your teeth or your instrument (or both).
    Mandojan

It's nice to be important,
    but it's more important to be nice

Destroyer of Mandolins

That's how I do it too: boom placed sideways in tight quarters. Less to stick out and get caught by a dancer or a drunk. But I also like the solid base mic stands for that purpose. The tripod type are very broad and stable (if it's a good one and not a cheapo), but a heavy cast iron base is less to trip over. You can add additional mass with barbell weights.

No matter whether you use booms or goose-necks, you have to have a high quality stand. Those $20 specials from MF and others are just not enough to hold up when you start turning it into a Christmas tree. I use the three-section Atlas stand and boom. Solid as a stand can get:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...and?sku=450651
    http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...ght?sku=450656

Sure, it's $150 and weighs a ton, but like Jan says, it's your teeth.

P.S. Always engage your lock rings. They keep things from swiveling until you want them to. Almost nobody I know uses the rings correctly. Get used to them and they'll help save your choppers too.
    Last edited by Tim2723; May-03-2010 at 9:45am.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

A number of ways to ballast your mic stand base can be found, there is someone selling already made doughnut shaped sandbags,
    but , really almost anything kind of heavy will do ..
    a bag with your extra cables , an old inner-tube out of the boat trailer wheel,
    canvas bag full of dried beans...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture