Thread: Curtis Jones and Jeff Midkiff

I've seen these two in concert over in England and they are awesome. I was just wondering how many of you have heard of them in the states?
    www.mandomike.com - The subscription free way to improve your mandolin playing!

I don't know about Curtis Jones but my husband wants to have Jeff Midkiff's baby or a least a 10th of his ability. He thinks Jeff walks on water. Did you buy his CD?
    KK

I had the chance to meet and do some picking with Curtis Jones at a fiddler's convention in 1999 -- I have the mini-disc recordings of the jam at my desk at work, and was listening to it not long ago, great fun! At the time, I think he was playing with Bluegrass Etc, with John Moore, and I had not heard of the guy until then. He is quite an impressive guitar player, but I don't think he is very well known.

Curtis Jones has some credits as a songwriter, as well as a player. IIIrd Time Out and a couple of other groups have recorded his songs. He also played guitar with the Shankman Twins some years ago, before his time with Bluegrass Etc.

..Jeff was ahead of his time back in the 80's...he played some great stuff with the McPeake Bros. then with the Lonesome River Band.....great speed...tone..all of that. Any body know what kind of mando he was/is playing?...seems I remember it had a very ornate headstock on it.

I think he plays a hand made kentucky mandolin from about 50 years ago. It has an eagleon the head of the mando. i think.
    www.mandomike.com - The subscription free way to improve your mandolin playing!

I think Arthur Conner from SW Virginia built Jeff's mandolin. Arthur is best known for building fiddles (especially 5 string fiddles).

Sunburst, izzat right?

Best to all

Jim Rollins

Jim..that sounds right..seems I remember reading that somewhere....man...a brain is a terrible thing to waist

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

Curtis lives in the Atlanta area and is one of the fastest guitarists I have ever heard.

Blog Entries

Jeff Midkiff is also a professional clarinetist - you can hear that influence on his mando playing. I've never met him in person, but love his CD. A friend of mine, professional composer/arranger, took mandolin lessons from him and described him as a fabulous teacher and musician. He's got great talent in everything from bluegrass to jazz to classical. Jeff lives in the Chicago area. I hope someday to bring him down to Goshen for a concert*. Check out his website for lots more info, then get his CD.

*I have a tiny financial interest in this matter, but any concert I'd produce will be years away and profits would benefit our contra dance and old-time music organization.

-Phil