Thread: Speranze Perdute

Rene Sevieri

Default Re: Speranze Perdute

Always been one of my favorite waltzes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUUKVUE8XhI

Rene Sevieri

Excellent, Rene. Thanks for posting that!!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Sweet. Check out Rene on "Volare". I don't sound that good in the shower! (But I have an awesome harmony singer.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edcAW...eature=related

Penso che un sogno cosė non ritorni mai pių. Oh, yeah!

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I've been meaning to record Speranze Perdute complete with the second mandolin part from the 1920s Paolilli arrangement for some time, but have only just got around to it -- I had previously attempted several recordings on solo mandolin, but it's hard to stay in time on this tune without a backing rhythm.

This has the first mandolin part on the Ceccherini (which I find has the most suitable tone for these ballo liscio tunes), the second mandolin part on the Embergher and a strummed tenor guitar rhythm. Speed seems very variable on this tune, and the accordion versions tend to be very fast indeed (see Rene's version earlier in this thread). My version is a bit slower, at precisely the tempo given in Sheri Mignano's book: she has marked the tune moderato and gives a metronome count of 136bpm. I think that works pretty well.

The images used for the video are a collage of pictures associated in some form with the title -- I have kept this deliberately serendipitous and have shied away from the overly obvious allegories which come up when searching for "Lost Hope".

Martin

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

Just a note as I've been doing some research on Morelli, and he was born near Naples in 1875 and died in 1918.
    Whatever copyright dates you're reading are of much later editions. He wrote a few other songs with words as well but SP arrived on American shores along with quite a few million Southern Italians c1900. It's considered public domain sheet music and although there are some arrangements out there including the French Espoirs Perdus. I don't have a date for publication in Italy but I'm sure it was ca 1900. Enrico Ricci is wrongly given credit As composer on one copy I have; in all likelihood he was an arranger. Antonio Grauso published it in 1909 but it may be M.V. Cardilli who was the first American publisher. Either way both published it long before Paolilli and others. The Ellis Island folk band out of the San Francisco East Bay performed from the Cardilli arrangement. (Bob Black's old group). You won't find a date on this sheet music. It's public domain. That means that the publisher could not be granted a legal copyright; only when an arranger has made a significant contribution to a new arrangement is it possible to gain a copyright status with date of publication.
    Some of you know that I'm trying to get the music out there..in my Drop box. So tonight I went to my Ellis Island book and found it. I'm going to scan my Cardilli copy as I had forgotten I had it. Here it is, and I'll upload to Cardilli in the other Forum Drop Box thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speranze_Perdute_M1_Cardilli.pdf  
    Last edited by Mandophile; Aug-10-2015 at 9:55pm. Reason: forgot upload

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    Just a note as I've been doing some research on Morelli, and he was born near Naples in 1875 and died in 1918.
    ...... Antonio Grauso published it in 1909 but it may be M.V. Cardilli who was the first American publisher. Either way both published it long before Paolilli and others.
    That's one of the versions I use, for sure!

10. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Sadly, I was contacted a few years back by a descendent of Morelli's, possibly his grandson or great-grandson. Unfortunately, I had a hard drive crash and lost his email address.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

12. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

[QUOTE=Martin Jonas;832519]Gus/John,

"Related trivia: the cover of the recent novel "A Mandolin of Gold" by Michael Frank Tedesco (who has posted here on the Cafe before, so he may well read this) is a sepia photo of an Italian string band photoshopped onto some old sheet music. Looking closer, one sees that it's the Paolilli edition of "Speranze Perdute". Looking even closer, one sees that it's actually the precise same scan as on Jim Garber's web site -- it has the same hand-written guitar chords..."

Martin

Thanks for noticing the purloined sheet music.

Best,

M.F. Tedesco

14. The following members say thank you to MF Tedesco for this post:

Lp vicari posso avere registrazione?

Quote Originally Posted by Calogero View Post
    Lp vicari posso avere registrazione?
    Giovanni Vicari?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Giovanni Vicari?
    A good friend of mine said he has a copy of an LP by Vicari and at one point offered to digitize it. I'll have to check back in with him about that.

Mick
    Last edited by brunello97; Jan-13-2020 at 8:01pm.
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

18. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Mel Bay 2011- Northern Italian and Torino Region Folk Songs, performances by Carlo Alonzo and Clara Ponzoni...sheet music and cd. Speranza Perdute, p. 42, track 8.
    A great resource for this and similar songs.

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    A good friend of mine said he has a copy of an LP by Vicari and at one point offered to digitize it. I'll have to check back in with him about that.
    Our friend Sheri already had digitized the same LP.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

21. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

GV from The Godfather.

It seems I do have some audio files from Vicari. Calogero's post threw me for a moment.

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vicari Godfather-5.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	182820  

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

23. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

This is it! A monograph of Alessandro Morelli's "Speranze Perdute."
    I cover his life and how his waltz became world famous. Part One reveals the life of a very active young man living in Rome and then in Paris where his waltz was made more famous. Very little is known of him but now we have a fairly clear glimpse into who he was, his teacher, his friends, and maybe even, a lover.
    Part Two is an appendix with 17 titles (sheet music) and an excel spreadsheet that identifies each title in its chronological publication order. It covers about 100 years of various editions. I was able to locate 17 of 34 known published editions of his waltz.
    The download is a PDF with about 95 pages.

Everything is downloadable from this folder in my Dropbox.
    Alessandro Morelli: A Monograph

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tok6c2x0i...cPHH7Qj7a?dl=0

I hope you all learn about Signore Morelli and his great contributions to the mandolin repertoire.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

yes, David, many before Paolilli but now you all will find out that it was Tesio who first published "Speranze Perdute", followed by Grauso, Di Bella, Pagani, and Paolilli.
    my spreadsheet is in the monograph and will show you a clear evolution as to how it evolved. Enjoy!

27. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9zhxeekpy...Zb9lDzWUa?dl=0

Updated Italian Vintage Audio files and added a new October 1989 performance of "Speranze Perdute" a quartet: Mandolin 1 & 2, Guitar, bass guitar.
    They're probably using the Pagani edition as Pignoloni, the arranger, used Gustavo Gori edition which Pignoloni reduced. Follow along with the Pignoloni score!

compare to Frank Trombetta's 1971 radio performance of Morelli's waltz and I just added my Caffe Trieste ensemble's rendition of the waltz; we recorded it in 2008 at the Caffe Trieste recording studio. 4 mandolins, guitar, and myself on accordion.

updated PDF is attached here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Italian_Audio_Vintage_Recordings_Index-6.23.2020.pdf  

29. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Now that I re-listen to the 1989 version, I think it's more of a hybrid: Pignoloni intro with Di Bella in the body of the waltz--added enhancement by first mandolinist Norman Giorno-Calapristi.
    As to my mandolin ensemble at 2008 Caffe Trieste, we used Paolilli but my accordion riffs are totally unwritten! I just always played it that way and not sure why. I somewhat follow the second mandolin but enjoy filling it in. We return to the first section in D minor to end it on its somber note, rather than the 4th section in F major.

31. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Boy, I just reread my #31 post. Was I million miles off! Download the paper and you'll get the latest scoop, meaning accurate facts about Morelli's life. As far as I know, he was born in Rome, not even close to Naples. My recent paper even identifies his teacher in Rome.

33. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Too late to insert into the monograph but I attach, with permission from the great American artist and cartoonist, Robert Crumb. This is his take on "Espoir Perdu" with probably a collection of friends and villagers in the town of Suave.
    Mr. Crumb learned to play Morelli's waltz (he's a wonderful musician, too) from my old, dear friend Tom Marion when they used to play together as the "Cheapsuit Serenaders."
    Merci bc!
    Remember, in these times of Lost Hope that a false hope is worse than no hope at all.
    Keep hoping. Stay Safe!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Espoir Perdu (Crumb) 200_30062020_113359.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	187041  

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

I think that the accordionist is drawn from Crumb's "Les As du Musette", un jeu de cartes. I have the deck but surveying the drawings, I'm not sure if I can identify him with any certitude. I have a couple of hunches. I'll ask him to identify the mandolin player too. Usually, it's a banjoist so not sure who he had in mind for this duo.

37. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

I just read Ennio Morricone's obituary today. Like Morelli, he became another great Roman-born musician-composer; I mentioned that he scored Bertolucci's "1900" but I need to correct the debut year in the monograph--it should have been 1976, not 1989. Thanks. RIP Morricone!

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Qt...raAENe&index=6

My old mandolin ensemble performing "Speranze Perdute" at the local Aqus Cafe, Petaluma in 2008. I hope you enjoy it. I believe we used the Cardilli edition. If you search "Ralph Muscatell" you'll find dozens of recordings he did of the mandolin group playing titles from "Mandolin Melodies."
    Last edited by Mandophile; Aug-24-2020 at 7:52pm.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Nice to see all of you from 11 years ago. For convenience here it is embedded. Nice playing.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

43. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post: