Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tim O'Brien

Registered User Nelson Peddycoart's Avatar

Default Tim O'Brien

I am listening to TO for the first time, and am disappointed that I did not find him earlier. Is the CD I am listening to "Sounds From The Mountain" fairly representative of his music? I love that OT stuff.

Thanks.
    Nelson
    Madison, Alabama
    --------------------
    2011 Duff F5
    1928 Gibson A

Default Re: Tim O'Brien`

Check out some hot rize if you're into bluegrass. He's all over the place, stylistically. Old time, Celtic, BG...singer/songwriter,folk...

Actually there's a great deal of variety in his projects:

for more OT don't forget "Cornbread Nation"

for the celtic/more ot look for "The Crossing" and "Fiddler's Green"

for bluegrass, of course, look for any of the Hot Rize recordings (though I particularly like the first one "Hot Rize" and the second, "Radio Boogie"

"The Traveler" seems a bit between a lot of different styles (but ALL really good)

And of course don't forget Red Knuckles & the Trailblazers . . . . Old country the way it should be done.
    Greg Henkle

2002 Prucha F5
    1962 Martin D18
    1965 Fender Telecaster

And don't forget "Odd Man In." I spent a year addicted to this CD - the whole thing is an ear worm! Hard to say what style it's in. O'Brienistics? An interesting fellow.
    Dennis Ladd

Tim O is fantastic. Songs from the Mountain is one of my all-time favorite CD's.

Apparently Tim is touring with Mark Knopfler.
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

I'm a big fan of Songs From the Mountain and Fiddler's Green.

Quote Originally Posted by RobP View Post
    I believe he's also doing some Hot Rize gigs this year.

Does anyone know if the Transatlantic Sessions stuff has ever been released on CD?

My fave is his album of Dylan covers - "Red on Blonde."

"Songs from the Mountain" is definitely a "Desert Island" disc! I'm also fond of "Real Time", a CD of duets done in, yes, real time w/ the fabulous Darrell Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Peddycoart View Post
    I am listening to TO for the first time, and am disappointed that I did not find him earlier. Is the CD I am listening to "Sounds From The Mountain" fairly representative of his music? I love that OT stuff.

Thanks.
    Definately one of my biggest heros, not just 'cause I played on stage with him once. (Best gig of my life !) You might enjoy "Brand New Old Time Way" by Mark Schatz, a little more instrumental but pretty old timey !

I like almost everything Tim has ever done, but I'm particularly partial to the Hot Rize recordings, his work with the O'Boys (especially Red on Blonde), and his duet recordings with his sister Molly--all three of them. I think most of his stuff is available through his website: http://www.timobrien.net/store.cfm
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Quote Originally Posted by RobP View Post

He's doing the U.S. leg of his tour and played fiddle and tele most of Saturday night. The nugget worked only two songs I counted.

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    My fave is his album of Dylan covers - "Red on Blonde."
    To each their own, but I just couldn't get into that one. Either the songs didn't work for me or I thought they were "just another Dylan cover". That being said, to my ears there is one major gem on that record: his cover of "Senor (Tales of Yankee Power)" is hands down the best version I've heard of that tune.

Big fan of Tim here. I have three of his records: Traveler, Two Journeys, and The Crossing. I also have his instructional DVD, which I drag out from time to time for inspiration. I don't hear many people talk about his singing style, but it's one of my favorite things about Tim. I also like the way he uses the bouzouki instead of a guitar to back him up while singing sometimes.

He's got a wonderful song called 'Rod McNeil' that I really like. Always makes me wonder who the man was that inspired the song.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    I don't hear many people talk about his singing style, but it's one of my favorite things about Tim.
    He's a major influence on me. IMO Tim is one of those guys who does wonders with a fairly limited range and an excellent example of how someone with great phrasing can still be a terrific singer. I've been playing with a buddy most every wednesday night for about a year. Neither of us are powerhouse singers but because I've got a slightly stronger voice I've sort've become the de facto singer. It's taught me lot about singing. Perhaps the best thing it's taught me is that the best way to become a better singer is to just sing...a lot. However, I've also really tried to emulate Tim's style, especially on the Hot Rize tunes we play

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Orr View Post
    That being said, to my ears there is one major gem on that record: his cover of "Senor (Tales of Yankee Power)" is hands down the best version I've heard of that tune.
    And that is my favorite cut on the album as well.

Tim O'brien is one of my favorite musicians of all time, also! He's a very rare breed of combined talents, being an excellent singer/songwriter, mandolinist, fiddle player, bouzouki player, AND decent banjo player all wrapped up in one person. There really aren't many musicians that can touch Tim and his overall wide-ranging talents and his knowledge of playing different genres like he does!

Off the top off my head the only up-and-coming artist that is almost as talented as Tim, or has the potential to be, is Sarah Jarosz (who's majorly influenced by Tim, BTW).

Was mentioned above, but if you like "The Crossing" you will also enjoy "Two Journeys". TJ is much of the same Celtic and travelor's songs.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I just love the "Chameleon" album. It really shows his diversity and great song writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Fowler View Post
    Tim O'brien is one of my favorite musicians of all time, also! He's a very rare breed of combined talents, being an excellent singer/songwriter, mandolinist, fiddle player, bouzouki player, AND decent banjo player all wrapped up in one person.
    You forgot to mention, he's also an excellent guitarist

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    And that is my favorite cut on the album as well.

I looove his singing style as well. I mostly sing harmony in the Kindreds, but we recorded Wayfarin' Stranger on our CD largely based on Tim's version from Songs from the Mountain and I sang lead. I am trying to work up several of his other songs as well. I have been working on "Pretty Fair Maid" from the Fiddler's Green CD.... can't wait to perform that one with the band.

Cheers,

Rob

He's a major influence on me. IMO Tim is one of those guys who does wonders with a fairly limited range and an excellent example of how someone with great phrasing can still be a terrific singer. I've been playing with a buddy most every wednesday night for about a year. Neither of us are powerhouse singers but because I've got a slightly stronger voice I've sort've become the de facto singer. It's taught me lot about singing. Perhaps the best thing it's taught me is that the best way to become a better singer is to just sing...a lot. However, I've also really tried to emulate Tim's style, especially on the Hot Rize tunes we play
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

Don't forget about the "Real Time" disc with Darrel Scott, another gem!
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

Oh, and Newgrange, don't forget Newgrange.

You forgot to mention, he's also an excellent guitarist
    Doohhh! You're right, Alex! See he's just TOO GOOD on to many instruments!

Registered User Nelson Peddycoart's Avatar

I have gotten hooked on this Songs From The Mountain disc. Thanks to all for your advice. I went to Tim's website and ordered up a boxful of discs and his DVD. Happy listening days ahead!
    Nelson
    Madison, Alabama
    --------------------
    2011 Duff F5
    1928 Gibson A

his fiddle playing was really solid, he led and backed several songs, knopfler indeed acknowledged his vocal prowess at intros.

...guess if you can play funky backbeat stuff on the tele behind mk, you're pretty fair on the geetar.

TO'B is so cool and low key about all of it. There are no slackers in his band, original drummer and guitarist from DS.