Thread: Ronnie McCoury will now take our questions for an interview

Blog Entries

Default Ronnie McCoury will now take our questions for an interview

I'm thrilled to announce that Ronnie McCoury has agreed to be the subject of one of our future interviews where our forum members ask the questions.

True Bluegrass royalty, winner of more IBMA mandolin player of the year awards than most of us can count, and the guy that gets to stand beside and perform with one of the greatest of bluegrass legends, his father Del McCoury.

Ronnie said he intended to log in and post about an electric mandolin someone spotted him with. I thought I saw that thread but can't locate it. If anyone can find it, feel free to post that link.

Thanks to Ronnie for joining us and please post your questions for him for his future interview!

Default Re: Ronnie McCoury will now take our questions for an interview

Hi Ronnie

Was I hearing things or did I hear you quoting "China Cat Sunflower" licks on the mandola at Greyfox last year (2009)? Do you ever play your Gilchrist X braced anymore? Any chance of a new instructional mandolin course on the horizon?

Thanks
    Perry
    Last edited by Perry; Apr-20-2010 at 10:49am.

Blog Entries

Hi, Ronnie! We look forward to hearing the band again at Telluride. Couple of questions:

- What's your approach to soloing on a standard tune such as "Rawhide," "White House Blues," etc.? Where do you depart from doing things "the way it's always been done" to keep it fresh sounding?

- Concerning the band, you perform an interesting combination of traditional and new material. What are you aiming for in the mix? Who is coming up with completely unexpected material ideas from folks like Richard Thompson? Do you try out tunes from other genres and discover they really don't work as bluegrass numbers? What sorts of things determine what works as a crossover tune to bluegrass?

- Speaking of the unexpected, what was it like working with Steve Earle? The result, "The Mountain," is a pretty awesome recording, IMHO. Is it difficult to collaborate with people who might be coming from a different place, or does that make it exciting?

- I'm sure you'll talk about your mandolins, so I won't ask!

Thanks!

- Mike
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Thanks for Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza!

What were one or two of your favorite moments from that session?

Registered User Nelson Peddycoart's Avatar

Ronnie,

Thanks for the music and taking questions.

Like alot of folks, I love the BME disk. Any chance of second one with some additional personnel like Compton, Sizemore, Steffey, etc.?
    Nelson
    Madison, Alabama
    --------------------
    2011 Duff F5
    1928 Gibson A

Hi Ronnie--

One of my favorite musical moments was hearing Del & the boys at the Norva in Norfolk, VA about a year ago. Toward the end of the show, maybe an encore, the band did My Love Will Not Change and you did what seemed like a 10 minute jam on the mandola. It was amazing music and you could really tell the band was having a blast on stage. Thanks for the music!

For me, your playing style is firmly rooted in traditional, Monroe-style mandolin playing but always remains fresh, inventive, and instantly recognizable as you. How did you develop your style?

What can we expect from you on the mandolin front in the future? Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza II?? (hint, hint) ;-)

Hello Ronnie, I have been listening to you since the mid 80's. I played in a band for about a year with Rick Campbell, he had a few stories about all of you. (They were good.) I just wondered who influenced you the most in developing your style on the mandolin.
    Buddy McClary

Blog Entries

Now that you are in the transition period from the Del McCoury Band to the Traveling McCourys you are spending more time as the lead singer. How does this affect your rhythm playing?

In a related question, how does the change in microphone technique between the Del McCoury Band, where you gang around a central microphone, and the Traveling McCourys, where everybody is mic'ed, affect your rhythm playing?

While your dad is the consummate rhythm guitar player your mandolin has been a key part of the drive. I suspect that most people concentrate on your lead playing but I have an interest in rhythm as it, mandolin rhythm in particular, is in my opinion the key to Bluegrass music.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

Hey Ronnie, I have a fantastic disc of you and the boys live playing with David Grisman. I listen to it endlessly. Two questions:
    1 Which other mandolin player do you find most exciting to play with? and
    2 Which of your songs do you find most comfortable to let loose on?
    Thanks for good feelings.

Ronnie,

For as much touring as you guys do I have to ask...how many suits do you own?

Thanks.

Hi Ronnie:

Last time I saw you, you were playing your Gilchrist at the Strawberry Music Festival. I wonder what other mandolins you gig with and what makes you choose one or the other for a performance.

Ken

Hi Ronnie,

Would you please comment on your preference for J-75's on your Loar and the tone-volume they give you verses J-74's and other lighter gauge strings?

Ronnie

I saw Willie Nelson on Larry King and he mentioned he likes to pick with the McCoury's. Was he talking about you and your dad and band? What did ya'll pick together? Seems like picking with Willie might be a little intimidating with all he's done and the fancy picking he does. What was it like?

Hi Ron!

I've been waiting patiently for you to write a whacky Mexican instrumental for Lloyd. Thoughts of "Nogales" might be a good start? Seems almost an obligation...and some of that Mexican spice on the "Family Circle" project was 'muy bueno'. Don't know of any other Loar that spent most of its life in ol' Mexico. Figured I'd ask you in public...no pressure though! ¿Qué piensa usted, señor?

Speaking of Mexico -- Are those some Toy Caldwell (Marshall Tucker Band) flavored licks I hear you and Jason playing on "Barbaric Splendor"?

Your Distant Amigo,
    Kevin L.

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

You are known as perhaps the fastest mandolin player alive, certainly no one can match your clean picking at supersonic tempos. I've read somewhere that David Grisman claims you are just born with fast-twitch hands, but there must be some practice technique for us mortals that will help build speed while still playing clean. Do you have any tips on that?

Loved your Homespun bluegrass mandolin DVD. When do we get another? How about one on Monroe Style mandolin. Or do one on classic mandolin breaks on classic bluegrass songs like what Tony Trishcka did on banjo But I'll buy whatever you put out. See you at Merlefest!!!

Describe the qualities in other artists' music that has inspired you to grow as a musician.

Ronnie, your recorded mandolin is always so consistent in tone and volume on each studio record. How does one achieve such a consistent output? It'd be good to hear thoughts on playing position, mic positioning and quality of equipment.

Can I also add to the enthusiasm there is about there being a Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza 2!
    GerryHastie

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
    - Albert Schweitzer

I stumbled across this video today and was completely blown away!!! How do you approach the electric mandolin vs. the acoustic? Do you prefer the four string electric to a plugged in acoustic mando (I saw a video of you playing with the Lee Boys and really tearing into an electric sounding solo on an f-style).
    Also, how would you compare the ensemble above with a bluegrass set-up (or are they completely different altogether?).
    Do you see yourself venturing more into the e-mando world in the near future?
    rmartinez

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Thumbs up Instrument questions and tips requested about using single mics

Mr. McCoury,

could you describe the difference in sound and feel of your Lloyd Loar F-5 as opposed to your Gilchrist(s).

Does/did each instrument (Loar F-5/Gilchrist) call for a certain approach to play music. If yes, could you elaborate.

I liked your Hamburg (Germany) appearance on the "Mountain" tour (with Steve Earle) very much. The radio broadcast of that show also captured the spirit of that evening.

What tips would you give to musicians who would want to use a one (or two) microphone setup on stage.
    Olaf

Default Re: Instrument questions and tips requested about using single mi

Ronnie would you ever consider doing a mandolin workshop or one on one lessons?

Hi Ronnie,

I came across an old Lynn Morris CD with a very young Ronnie McCoury playing on it. Are there any other bands you played in before you joined your Dad's band. Love your playing, and will always remember those workshops at RockyGrass--20 mandolins playing Baltimore Johnny in unison.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic