Thread: Mandola strings

Default Mandola strings

Greetings mandolin people,

I am building a mandola right now, I want it to have a scale length of about 25". My question is what kind of strings should I use? Will normal mandola strings break under the extra tension? If nothing else, I could just use bouzouki strings, but Im not looking for that sound.

Thanks for the help

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandola strings

Welcome to the mandolin Café. Most mandolas have a scale of 16-17 inches. Do you mean Octave mandolin or Zouk even? Builder Graham McDonald has a string tension calculator here.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Thank you. Yeah I guess it would technically be an octave mandolin.

Technically, it would be called an octave mandolin in North America. In Europe it would be a mandola.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Im going to tune it GDAE. It has a fiddle scroll so it will only have 4 strings; Im eventually going to have to call it something...

Irish Zouk is long, about guitar scale like ~ 25" there is the octave pair option on the G&D strings on those ,
    look up the gages common on those, or you are in a 19 fret tenor banjo scale length,
    so Irish Tenor Banjo string sets are along those lines.
    the latter a bit heavier than the former..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

removed by me.
    Last edited by fishtownmike; Apr-24-2010 at 12:10am. Reason: posted in the wrong post