Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Celtic Punk Recommendations

Default Re: Celtic Punk Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Gan Ainm View Post
    In 1994 there was a fun movie called "Blink" which grafted a partly blind Madeline Stowe onto the real (Chigago -I think) Irish "Pub Celtic" band The Drovers, as the fiddler.
    And speaking of digressions . . .

I was actually on the soundtrack for that movie. There's a scene where Stowe is listening to a recording of Kevin Burke playing a medley or Irish reels with Bill Monroe's "Jerusalem Ridge," and she starts dancing and jumping around--on a sofa, if I recall correctly. That's me on the octave mandolin and mandolin during that little sequence.

The recording was from Kevin's Up Close album, which was the genesis of the band that evolved into Open House, with Kevin, Mark Graham, Sandy Silva, and myself. No punk content, but plenty of fun.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Not Celtic, but Cordelia's Dad deserves a mention. They started out doing a sort of Anglo-American ballad / punk fusion, and gradually became more acoustic, though they've done a lot of genre-bending over the years. Their first album has some intense versions of songs like The Lowlands of Holland and The Banks of the Lee, and on their 2nd album they turned the sacred harp classic Idumea into a rock song. More recently, the singer, Tim Eriksen, did a lot of work on the Cold Mountain soundtrack.

Killigans. A prior mandolinist wore a mohawk & played his mandolin off the right hip. At least one if not two of the band members are local school teachers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gsDQNxnyoY
    Connie

Glad to see this thread still getting new recommendations. Still enjoying the genre along with several others that my mando playing has introduced me to. Looking at my original post I can say I haven't been to a concert yet but not worried about the hair. The military look ended last year and now my hair is over my shoulders to upper back.

Gotta put forward Hoist the Colors, a band from South Bay, California.
    Also Charm City Saints from Baltimore, MD.

Quote Originally Posted by dkmfm1 View Post
    Sir Reg is a great band. Umm The Mighty Regis, Smokey Hoist the #######, The Street Dogs, The Mahones, The Real McKenzies, Ramshackle Army, Calico Street Riots.
    Nice to see some The Ramshackle Army love from the US!
    Did you catch them supporting Dropkick Murphys in march earlier this year per chance?
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Some great recommendations so far. I know I'm repeating a few here, but I'd like to add (in no particular order) Flatfoot 56(GREAT band and GREAT guys, friends of mine actually), Street Dogs(Amazing live), The Tossers(Also great live), The Rumjacks, Shillelagh Law, Fiddler's Green, The Mahones, The Sunday Punchers, Paddy and the Rats, Neck, Firkin, The Bloody Irish Boys, Mr. Irish #######, The Porters, Amadan, The Briggs, The Black Tartan Clan, Auld Corn Brigade, Ninja Dolls, The Pubcrawlers, The Deadlines, Happy Ol`McWeasel, Finnegan's Hell, The Fighting Jamesons, The Bollox... The list goes on. Some of these sre more punk, others more Celtic. I'll add more as I find them or think of them.