Thread: How much for a new fretboard?

Default How much for a new fretboard?

Hi all,
    Can anybody tell a general price range for having a new fretboard put on a mandolin? I'm sure it depends on whether or not it's radiused or not and what size frets are put on it, right?

I'm just wondering because I saw a well-known small shop F5 mando priced around 1400 but the fretboard was replaced and it was HORRIBLE job and the setup was completely despicable. But, with a new fretboard and setup this mandolin would be poppin' and could potentially increase in value considerably.....

Thanks.

Default Re: How much for a new fretboard?

The fact that the previous work could be described as "a horrible job" is probably the biggest variable here. If all else were fine, and it simply required removal of the old and installation of the new with minimal touchup, it may be a $500-$600 job. Unfortunately, undoing of previous hack work is so often much more complicated than doing it right the first time.

If there are obviously apparent sings of poor work on the fingerboard replacement, there are also a lot of unknowns as to how invasive their work was, and peripheral work that needs to be corrected or maneuvered around which may not be so immediately apparent. It also begs the question of why they replaced the board to begin with. Was it simply to straighten a neck without a truss rod, or did it have a truss rod that wasn't functioning? Was the neck twisted, or was it replaced because it was simply poor original material or was hacked up in previous refret attempts? Did they put on a wedged board in efforts to correct the neck angle? Did they remove much material from the neck? How clean is the neck surface going to be once the existing board is pulled off? What else might be going on inside the instrument that the hack shop did which may not be immediately visible on the surface?

Lot's of unknown variables here. Could be a $500 job, or it could be $1500. If we had a few more details or some decent pictures we may be able to narrow it down a little, but the only way to get the most realistic estimate is to have it personally looked over by the luthier who would be doing the work. If it's currently owned by a store, this may mean having to buy it with a clear approval/return period in which you could have it looked over, and make your decision whether to keep it and proceed with the work then.

A few more details would be helpful but in my experience an instrument that needs a new fretboard probably also needs other work so without actually looking at the instrument it would be just a guess. Replacement of the fretboard is little different from new construction save removal of the old one. I recently replaced one on an instrument that I built a good many years ago that had been totally destroyed by an inexperienced repair person, thus voiding my warranty. The charge was $350 so that would be a basic target in my estimation.
    Byron Spain, Builder
    www.theleftyluthier.com

You could spend 500-1000 dollars for a new fingerboard. I doubt flat or radius would make any difference. The real variables would be the ability of the truss rod to function or if it needs replacing, and any finish work needed to make the neck right because of the prior poor installation. The nice thing is you can choose the fingerboard inlay, radius or flat, and fret size you prefer and can get a mandolin done the way you like. If the fingerboard is changed from flat to radius or radius to flat it may need to have a new saddle as well and likely a new nut. In any case, it may make the mandolin play and sound better than ever. We are happy to quote our shop doing the work if you like. You can pm me. There are also some other good luthiers on the forum that can do the work also.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

I must have lucked into a deal; just had a carbon-fiber reinforcing bar and a new fretboard installed on my Regal Octofone for less than $300. And the board went from dyed scuzzwood (actual species unknown) to ebony.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Yes, Allen, you lucked out. Did you get the result you expected?

Sometimes a job goes better than estimated, and can be sold for the price of parts and labor. Other times complications arise (more usual than not) and the job costs time. That little splinter that got loose needs to be put back in place and the finish then needs to be touched up, or the binding came loose during the removal process, or any of a hundred other possibilities.

Yes, assuming the work came out as you expected, I'd say you got quite a deal. I charge more than that just for a refret and new nut. Fingerboard replacements in my shop start at least in the $500 range, after accounting for even minor touchup along with the necessary peripheral work such as a new nut and setup.

Hi all,
    Thanks for the replies and sorry that my brief description didn't have a lot of details. When I first saw this instrument, a 2003 BRW by the way, I was floored that this F5 was so cheap until I picked it up and looked at it and then picked a little bit on it. Further details here are going fully on memory...which can be not so good sometime! From what I remember this new fretboard seemed kind of thick and seemed to be painted black at least on the side of the fretboard. It was a flat fretboard. The action was super high and this I attributed to the nut being really high above the frets along with the bridge action way too high. Everything else about the mandolin from what I could tell seemed to be in relatively pretty good shape. Not much more information, I know, but that's what I remember.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lewis View Post
    Yes, Allen, you lucked out. Did you get the result you expected?
    Very nice job, and the instrument plays excellently. And the nice people at Stutzman's Guitar Center fixed the broken headstock gratis, after FedEx busted it during shipment back from the fretboard repairman in Connecticut. Of course, I now have $5-600 into an instrument that sold for $15 back in the late '20's when Regal built them, but it's a lot of fun anyway.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Allen, do something nice for those folks, you will want them to stay around.