Thread: J.L. Smith 5-Stringer (New Color)

Default J.L. Smith 5-Stringer (New Color)

Thought I'd post a photo of a 5-stringer just completed, with a new custom color (Firery Red).
    I'm currently working on 4 more spec. models which will be finished up in May-June. 2-(4-string) and 2-(5-string) models. I'm concentarting on more spec. models this year, to accomodate prospective customers that prefer not to put in the waiting time.
    John
    www.jlsmithmandolins.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0008..JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	57135  

Default Re: J.L. Smith 5-Stringer (New Color)

Excellent job as usual John. I'm with you on the spec models. I've gone that route myself.

These guys are making it very hard to hold onto my paycheck. There are some really sweet options out there in the five-string category.

It's my mando and I can hardly wait! I'll let you all know what it's like as soon as I get it!

Blog Entries

That is definitely MAS inducing.

Daniel

Red + tortoiseshell reminds me of a customized Fender Mandocaster on eBay from Las Vegas a while back. Had a severe hankerin' for that one, I did.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

with luck I'll go across the border tomorrow and pick it up, then take it directly to the gig. fedex shows it was delivered to my us drop box today...

I just played a gig with it tonight, and it's a hoot! The C string goes out of tune pretty quick but I think it's a simple tweak; the TONE on the thing is FANTASTIC. That pickup is great. I'm doing a film shoot for a concert video right now and all the other eight guys in the band were gathering around the thing laughing at how 'cute' it is. Whatever. They weren't calling it 'cute' after the gig. They thought it was the coolest thing ever.

So you know I think the instrument is absolutely great, I'll add a couple of critiques: The fretwork feels a bit rough on the sides, not horrible but it could be smoother. The neck is pretty darn good, but could be a more C shaped, more like a Gibson neck. The neck changes shape just at the join with the body and that could be smoother. The pick tends to hit the pickup and I don't know if this is about height or placement of the pickup.

This is all in the context of the BEST electric mando I've ever played! Mr. Smith is on to something here. Very glad I went for the five string too as it really adds to the versatility. Yanuziello in Ontario Canada makes a pretty amazing eight string electric mando but it's a very different animal.

The tone is obviously less mandolin and more chirpy electric, but heck, a strat doesn't sound like a D-28 either. I'm pretty sure John's prices will go up sooner than later so if anyone wants an amazing instrument at a great price, order now. I really couldn't be happier with my purchase. Thanks John!

What string gauges ar you using? I had to try a few different sizes for my C sting before I found one that was stable. What's the scale length.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

John has suggested I up the C from 50 to 52. Will try that, and I'm thinking of taking the top two or three frets out and scallop the fretboard for more room for picking. Promise not to do anything else! Scale length is, slightly longer because of the fifth string. Can't remember, not good with numbers.

Thanks for all the comments on my Mando. Greatly appreciated!
    Scale length on my 5-stringers is (14-1/2) Inches.
    John