Thread: Mel Bay's Complete Jethro Burns Mandolin Book

Default Mel Bay's Complete Jethro Burns Mandolin Book

I'm thinking of picking this up and was wondering if anyone has a copy and if so what their thoughts are regarding the book. As an intermediate player, (beginner at Jazz), I wonder if the book might be too advanced for me. Also, if you have the book, does Jethro spell out the chord shapes for the tune section, or leave that up to you ala the Grisman book, (my one criticism of the Dawg book). Any input much appreciated.

JR

Default Re: Mel Bay's Complete Jethro Burns Mandolin Book

As an intermediate player, you will likely find some parts of the book easy and others challenging, but I doubt any will be way over the top. It is not a jazz book, per se. It has a bit of everything, including a few early jazz standards. There is a section in the back with chord charts. In the tunes themselves, the chords are just shown by their designation, like "C#dim7," but on the tunes where the exercise is to have you work chords, the chords also shown in both notation and tab, so you really don't need the chord charts for those, even if you are not a notation reader.

Registered User Nelson Peddycoart's Avatar

I don't particularly care for the book, to be honest. For one thing, the notation/tab print is tiny. Other than that, I have other resources that I find more beneficial that that one.
    Nelson
    Madison, Alabama
    --------------------
    2011 Duff F5
    1928 Gibson A

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Peddycoart View Post
    I don't particularly care for the book, to be honest. For one thing, the notation/tab print is tiny. Other than that, I have other resources that I find more beneficial that that one.
    Interesting comment. Size of print doesn't really bother me, but I am curious about your comment that you "find other resources more beneficial". Can you elucidate on this?

JR

I'll second the complaint about the size of the print. It's tough on my old eyes. The content is very good, though. It certainly runs the gamut from basic to challenging.

I haven't had mine but for a few days. I would say add it to your collection.

Photo copy and enlarge the piece you are working on , if it takes up more than one page it can be spread out on the music stand.

Add grid and dots for your chord choices , rehearsal notes,etc. .. people write on music scores..

Usually in pencil..

if you put the page in a plastic protector then grease pencils write on those, and then wipe off..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

The font style and size vary throughout the book. The smallest is on the page for Boll Weevil--it's fine if you're a healthy youngun' with 20/20 sight. I ended up transcribing the whole tune into TablEdit in a larger font for my students who use the Jethro book.
    Oops! Did I say that out loud?
    Once upon a time: fiddle, mandolin, OM, banjo, guitar, flute, whistle, beer