Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holding your mouth just right, is it fact or fiction?

Default Holding your mouth just right, is it fact or fiction?

What do you fine folks think? If you hold your mouth just right does it help?

Default Re: Holding your mouth just right, is it fact or fiction?

Well, the dearly-departed Herb Ellis had the mouth thing going on big time, so much so that he resembled Mumbles from the old Dick Tracy. Didn't hurt him at all. And Barry Mitterhoff gets that mouth/tongue going when he solos.

formerly OldDirtyTurtle Jason Kindall's Avatar

Depends. Do you have the tongue-curl gene?

Quote Originally Posted by OldDirtyTurtle View Post
    Depends. Do you have the tongue-curl gene?
    can't say that i do.

The thing you really want to avoid is holding your mouth with your picking hand. That's gonna just slow you down...
    Lost on the trails of The Deep North

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Keller View Post
    The thing you really want to avoid is holding your mouth with your picking hand. That's gonna just slow you down...
    not to mention your fretting hand.

Now you've got me wondering about the correct eyebrow thing while playing (if you raise them on the high notes, can your pinky reach them better?) ...
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    Now you've got me wondering about the correct eyebrow thing while playing (if you raise them on the high notes, can your pinky reach them better?) ...
    I'm pretty sure if you don't do that you can't get past the 10th fret.

There are all sorts of things that you can do with your face when you are concentrating on playing. I have found most have either a negative impact on my playing, or on people watching. Think about it, when are you most engaged with a musician while watching them live? Usually if they are smiling, looking up, and generally looking like they are having a good time. I used to grimace all the time while I was playing, and in my concentration, not notice that I would nod my head when everyone was playing well, and shake my head whenever I heard a wrong note.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkf_Alone View Post
    There are all sorts of things that you can do with your face when you are concentrating on playing. I have found most have either a negative impact on my playing, or on people watching. Think about it, when are you most engaged with a musician while watching them live? Usually if they are smiling, looking up, and generally looking like they are having a good time. I used to grimace all the time while I was playing, and in my concentration, not notice that I would nod my head when everyone was playing well, and shake my head whenever I heard a wrong note.
    you have any video of the nod and shake?, that has to be funny!

Blog Entries

It doesn't seem to detract from Chris Thile's playing ability. Folks comment on it which I guess means they can't fault his technique. Style and facial expressions to an audience is a matter of taste. Be who you are, if you make a face while playing so be it but, try not to focus on the bad notes.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

The good thing about playing with other instruments is that the "bad" notes don't stand out as much when you're playing solo. I think I played a bad note once.

formerly OldDirtyTurtle Jason Kindall's Avatar

Well, consider that Stevie Ray Vaughan looked like he was trying to pass a peach pit sideways. Makes Thile look downright placid.

I don't know. What makes a note bad? Is it born that way or is it the way it was played. Is bad more in the listening or in the making? Then again is it Old time bad or California bad which is good, I think? Barbra Woodward wrote a great book, No Bad Dogs. Maybe it's time for No Bad Notes.

Quote Originally Posted by OldDirtyTurtle View Post
    Well, consider that Stevie Ray Vaughan looked like he was trying to pass a peach pit sideways. Makes Thile look downright placid.
    are peach pits wider sideways? never noticed

You should position your mouth so that drool doesn't get on your instrument, or the front of your pants.

Quote Originally Posted by nobullmando74 View Post
    are peach pits wider sideways? never noticed
    It's the sharp edges on the ends of the peach pit that will get you everytime...
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Quote Originally Posted by woodwizard View Post
    It's the sharp edges on the ends of the peach pit that will get you everytime...
    ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by nobullmando74 View Post
    you have any video of the nod and shake?, that has to be funny!
    Yes, I do, and it is funny, though if you don't watch for it, you'd never notice. My head moves like 1/8" in the nod or shake. listening to the piece though, you don't hear the off notes at all. Unfortunately the vid was taken by someone, and is on facebook, so I have no way of posting it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkf_Alone View Post
    Yes, I do, and it is funny, though if you don't watch for it, you'd never notice. My head moves like 1/8" in the nod or shake. listening to the piece though, you don't hear the off notes at all. Unfortunately the vid was taken by someone, and is on facebook, so I have no way of posting it here.
    , can't you copy the link from their page?

That's Barbara Woodhouse, a breakthrough trainer of dogs and dog owners. John Hartford had that mouth thing going, and he had some success. My deal is more foot stomp when seated and dancing feet when upright. Whatever keeps you in the groove.
    Mike Snyder

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

The thing about these jazz guys - they are actually vocalizing what they are playing, even if it is so soft it's inaudible to the audience. But the mouth is still going to move.
    Well, the dearly-departed Herb Ellis had the mouth thing going on big time, so much so that he resembled Mumbles from the old Dick Tracy.
    "Singing what you play" is a Focusing technique. It puts the ear in charge of the fingers. Also, the added concentration of "singing" it while you play, instead of just "thinking it", activates more brain circuitry, and the more symaptic wiring firing away upstairs means that you can lock on to your musical thoughts stronger, and not get as distracted by other instruments or anything else going on around you (*). By vocalizing, even if only you hear it, it gives you added volume so that it becomes harder for surrounding instruments to drown out your 'thoughts' sonically. The voice is the amplifier to the mental ear. (Does yours go to eleven?)

Niles H

(*) and as a further measure of concentration, a LOT of top players will close their eyes when the playing gets difficult. They shut down the unnecessary mental "programs" and shift all energy usage to "ear support" (the equivalent of diverting the engines to "life support" on the Enterprise). Fade to black, and the brain doesn't need to process visual stimuli, even on a subconscious level).

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

Thank you Mike, it's been a long time since I loaned Barbara's book out never to be returned. I enjoy watching an artist facial expressions of the music they play.

If it effects the results of fishing, why not pickin'?

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

A true Eldorado of this are the videos posted on the Song-a-Week social group. We got pleasant smiles, fixed stares, people trying to eat their own face - you name it.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world