Thread: Chop Chord Fingering Question

Ad astra per alia porci bjshear's Avatar

Question Chop Chord Fingering Question

I am still pretty new to the mandolin (at least new to getting serious about playing). I am finally getting around to learning (and perfecting) the chop chords.

My question is which fingers you use when doing the C form chop chord (not playing the E string)? It seems that most books ect. say use your first three fingers, leaving the pinky out of the mix. But this makes it much more difficult to transition to the G form chop chord. If I can have my pinky on the G string for the C form chop chords, it gives me an anchor/pivot point to go to the G form chop chord.

Is there a reason I should learn to do the C form chop chord with the first three fingers, or is it ok if I learn it with using the first two plus the pinky (thus leaving the ring finger out)???

(If my question doesn't make sense, please let me know and I can try and rephrase it!
    Last edited by bjshear; Apr-02-2010 at 8:41pm. Reason: added one more thing

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Re: Chop Chord Fingering Question

Quote Originally Posted by bjshear View Post
    Is there a reason I should learn to do the C form chop chord with the first three fingers, or is it ok if I learn it with using the first two plus the pinky (thus leaving the ring finger out)???
    It's okay for you to play any way you want, .... but in the big scheme of things, changing from a C chop chord to a G chop chord may be one of the easiest things you'll want to do with a mandolin. You should, IMO, start learning in the standard way (using 1st 3 fingers for the C chop) and later add modifications that help with your technique. If you can't learn to change from C to G without depending on an anchored pinky, you're going to be extremely limited in your learning process.
    You will likely look back in a few months when these chord changes are second nature to you and wonder what you were thinking.
    Best wishes.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Ad astra per alia porci bjshear's Avatar

awesome. That's what I wanted to hear. I will do that then (learn it 'correctly'). Would you mind telling me, what will I use the pinky for then? adding a 7th, or something like that?

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

You can use that pinky for all sorts of things, extended chords, starting a run of notes leading to the next chord, etc. But for now, I wouldn't worry about doing anything with it. Let it rest nearby till needed for those G & A chords. You'll use it a lot more when you're practicing scales.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Your pinky will play the D note (7th fret on the G string) when you chop a G. You will also want your pinky to play melody notes out of chord positions later on.

You should feel free to experiment with fingering though. You will stumble onto some new things that way.