Thread: Strings lowering on New mandolin

Default Strings lowering on New mandolin

I purchased an Epiphone MM30E in October and the actiion was very low but almost no buzzing. I raised the saddle using the adjustment wheels, in a few days or a week it was buzzing action low again. I have done this about 3 times the neck is fine but I have just about reached the limit of the adjustment on the saddle and bridge.
    The bridge saddle is a 2 piece saddle with the pick up inserted in the lower half of the saddle. The top is solid wood (spruce) and doesn't appear to be sinking. I played about 10 of these A model Epiphones and this instrument had a much much better tone and volme than most.
    Any suggestions as to what might be causing the lowering of the action and any solutions to my problem?

Paul (texaspaul)

Default Re: Strings lowering on New mandolin

Hi Paul,

I would suspect dehydration. Do you have a hygrometer in the house?
    If you don't already have one, I would put a humidifier in the case with the mandolin and see if it starts to improve.

You mention that this one had the best tone. While not always, that is often a sign of a thinner top. If the action is lowering extreme amounts I would give it another check. If it is thin enough to be collapsing, you should be able to push down on the bridge and see it flex. Of course, be gentle when doing this.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Thanks Robert I tried it some small flex but no more than my other mandolins, Bullgod, another custom madeF-5 I have J74's on it currently.
    Paul

I live in NE Texas and humidity is good, I have a hydrometer in my Bulldog case always between 40 and 60% currently at 42% just checked
    Paul

Weird. Are some frets coming loose and popping up?
    Rob G.
    Vermont

It sounds like humidity is not the issue. hmmm...

This one has happened to me a few times... The post hole in the foot is a little sloppy and allows the post to strip and sink further into the bridge foot or the nut itself is stripping on the post.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

all the fretts look good to me and the store where I bought it, perhaps it is the post hole in the foot it does seem weird