Thread: AnyBody Use TEF files? my fretboard went sideways.

Unhappy AnyBody Use TEF files? my fretboard went sideways.

Hi All;
    Right now, in my mandolin learning, I only use TAB or recently TEF files... Thanks to Jim Richter for posting some interesting ones. All went well for awhile but then in attempting to move the fretboard off to the side a bit it ended up laying down on its side at the top of the (moving) music portion of the visual field. It makes it so much harder to follow the fingering while you work out the melodies and:
    I cannot seem to get the mandolin fretboard back into the correct orientation. Anyone ever had this difficulty?

Thanks.

Default Re: AnyBody Use TEF files? my fretboard went sideways.

I've never used that software but it sounds like you've inadvertently docked the window with the fretboard to the top. Many windows programs will let you change the docking by clicking on the object and then dragging to a different edge of the window. Sometimes the window being docked doesn't actually move until you release the mouse button over the new edge. Sometimes you can right click on an object and look for a "dock" menu item.

Go to preferences.

Thanks guys;
    I went in at it again, kind of 'feeling around' with the mouse. To the farthest left it seemed to be trying to 'select' the fretboard. It was draggable at that point so I just dragged the outline off the TEF opened page and suddenly it... "Flipped" back to vertical orientation & when I let go the mouse it stayed there and is once again stable in the much preferrable vertical position.
    Thanks for the encouragement, its a pretty intricate little program is Table-Edit in a very small package.
    The fun is back into it ...now to use it as a learning tool!

I guess now I'll ask (because the Mandolin Cafe site is so big):Are there any TEF files available on Mandolin Cafe'? The ones I've seen are the Jim Richter downloads on his own site which I believe he worked through himself in order to post. They are excellent & naturally will keep me occupied for quite awhile (years).However I'm always interested in a wide range of styles and tunes, so I wonder if anyone else knows of more Mandolin TEF files residing in any nooks and crannies.
    Terrific if you do...

Half the fun of being on the 'cafe is exploring it.

Howdy flatland,
    There's a couple thousand tef files over at Mandozine. Various genres(bluegrass, old time, etc.) that you can download as zip files. Maybe you already know about it? If not, that'll keep ya busy.

benny

How are you liking that system? I mainly use tab for mando tunes. I can read music but use it only for the keyboard. I'm interested to hear how the fretboard method works. Knowledge is power and I need a lot of knowledge.

Thanks!
    Patty

I have been using the TEF and I noticed on some files each line of music is piled on top of each other - is there a way to fix this? See this example of Nine Pound Hammer as done by Bill Monroe

http://www.mandozine.com/music/searc...rder=A&submit=

Go to "Score"
    Click on "Options..."
    Go to the "General" tab (might be on it already)
    Under "Vertical Spacing" in the middle adjust "Between Systems" & "Between Notation and Tablature" About the 11 or 12 range.

[QUOTE=Johnny Rico;785121]I have been using the TEF and I noticed on some files each line of music is piled on top of each other - is there a way to fix this? See this example of Nine Pound Hammer as done by Bill Monroe
    Gypsy Renegade

Logic is a function of desire

Hi Patty; Well I was just getting used to one TAB format & I see there are actually several. The TEF, when I found the player was (&is) kind of interesting esp. when used through a laptop with headphones. I can see the moving TAB go by, which is nice & somewhat familiar, then I can see the little blocks representing your fingers on the frets & then hear through headphones what the melody is like. With the ability to alter the speed of playback it helps me get on board with some structure as I do not read music. Any arrangement which then lets me play a few phrases on my mandolin still seems exciting to me even though I do not progress quickly. In my town I'd like to find a mandolin player at about the same level as me to learn/jam with. However its not just to FIND one, then you each sort of have to share the similar taste of music you want to learn. That's whythe internet can be an assist, with You-Tube & Mando-Cafe. I like it all.*

While we're on TEFview, I have fooled around with the program A LOT, but haven't been able to figure out a way to make chords (letters) print with notation. I can get chords when I print tab though which is frustrating. Does anyone know of how to do this or a decent workaround? Thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mando_dan View Post
    While we're on TEFview, I have fooled around with the program A LOT, but haven't been able to figure out a way to make chords (letters) print with notation. I can get chords when I print tab though which is frustrating. Does anyone know of how to do this or a decent workaround? Thanks.
    TefView is essentially, as its name implies just a viewer, or a player if you will. If you want to go in and edit, change or compose new tab you have to purchase the full up program TablEdit. As far as I know TefView does not even have a "save" function -- but it will retain your latest format changes on the tab appearance.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by mando_dan View Post
    I don't know if this will work in TEFview, but you would have to enter the chord names in the standard notation view, using the Text Manager.