Thread: Elderly Instruments Rocks!

Professional Cat Herder Phil Vinyard's Avatar

Default Elderly Instruments Rocks!

Unsolicited, uncompensated comment here.

Been wanting an octave mandolin for quite a while, watching the classifieds, e-Bay, lots of on-line stores. Had it down to where I was pretty sure the Trinity College TM-325 was the right mix of price vs. quality. Sold an old bass & amp and pooled that with some birthday money and was ready to buy.

Everybody was within a few bucks of each other, the one from Elderly was maybe $20 more. But I had bought from Elderly before and always had a very good experience and decided they were worth the few extra bucks.

Man, were they! Placed the order online Saturday evening, and also ordered 3 sets of strings for it. Then Sunday afternoon stumbled across a tune book that they had that I also wanted, and e-mailed them asking if they could add that to the order.

Got an e-mail notice, they shipped it early Monday and didn't charge me any shipping. Showed up in my office WEDNESDAY afternoon! Late addition book neatly tucked in the box. Opened up the mando, it was already set up well and had obviously been tuned before, the three sets of strings as ordered were tucked in the storage compartment in the case.

This has been my experience with them time after time. Everything done extremely well, fast service, everything as ordered.

I'm sure there are other vendors that support the Cafe that also quite good--I encourage you to use and support them. But if you've never ordered from Elderly, give them a try!
    Phil Vinyard
    Gibson Jam Master F Standard #12 May 13, 2009
    Gibson Model A #67336 ca. 1921
    Harwood Bowlback ca. 1900
    Trinity College TM-325 Octave Mandolin
    Freshwater Mandocello
    Krutz 200 Upright Bass

Closet Mandolin Player Mark Walker's Avatar

Default Re: Elderly Instruments Rocks!

I'm sure you'll find you're not alone in your assessment of Elderly's. They're top-notch in all aspects of their business; I too have had nothing but good in all my dealings with them!

Congrats on your octave mandolin!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize how ignorant I truly am..."

I have been doing business with Elderly's for twenty years. They are d'bomb!
    Martin
    Kearney, MO
    MMS-4 Morgan Monroe Phantom
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mgwhitehead?feature=mhw5

+1 for Elderly. I have been doing business with them since the early 1980s, including everything from strings and picks to guitar, violin and mandolin. Interestingly, some of the people I ordered from/talked to back then are still with the company (Frog, Raul, etc.) Stan Werbin is a good guy and has always done right by me. Yes, they can be a bit more expensive than other places, but with that comes good service.

Not to take anything away from other good people to deal with (just had a great experience with Dennis Vance at The Mandolin Store, and have had good experiences with Schoenberg's shop, and archtop.com), but Elderly is something special.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

Same here, great bunch of folks to wheel and deal with.

If you ever wander up this way you should visit their store! You'll find it's like being a kid in a candy store!

+1 on the recommendation to visit the store in person. My in-laws live in Ann Arbor and my family usually drives up to visit for several days either at Thanksgiving or Christmas. I always try to shake free for half a day to visit Elderly's - Lansing is only an hour away. It is always a treat. Great people, excellent service.
    Clark Beavans

Yep, they're great. I've bought a few instruments and tons of accessories from them. Great folks, great service, great prices.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

They have the best price I have been able to find on Tomastik Mando strings.
    Good Pickin', Steve

I've bought a variety of stuff from them over the years - guitars, fiddles, mandolins, accessories, cases, and they've always been awesome to deal with. If I'm ever in that neck of the woods one day I'll definitely be calling in for a visit!

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Phil,

Couldn't agree more. The service at Elderly is top-notch.

Just make sure you bring the OM to Sloe Jam next Wed! I should be there...
    -Patrick

"It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity.'' -Dave Barry