Thread: Mandolin Theme Song for Deadliest Catch

Default Mandolin Theme Song for Deadliest Catch

I just caught a commercial for this show and the song was a mandolin playing chords to a guy singing. Anybody know who it is? It was pretty good stuff.

Default Re: Mandolin Theme Song for Deadliest Catch

Could it be "Mandolin Rain" by Bruce Hornsby???

this is all I could find on the music for the show ...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The opening theme for the U.S. TV airings is "Wanted Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi, although this song is not used on the official DVD releases nor in the European version of the show. It was also not used for the first four seasons broadcast on Discovery Channel Canada, but is now used for its broadcasts of Season 5.

Commercials for Season Three shown on the Discovery Channel family of networks featured an updated and faster version of the hit Styx song "Come Sail Away", performed by the punk rock cover band Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.

Incidental music used in the episodes themselves is provided by Amygdala Music, a music production group run by Leslie Beers, wife of Deadliest Catch creator/producer Thom Beers.

In addition to incidental music, entire compositions written and performed by well-known recording artists are also added as "episode themes." An example would be the song "Always a Rebel," written and performed by folk-rock recording artist Vinnie James, at the request of the show's producer, Matt Renner, when the two met in Dutch Harbor during the filming of the 2008 season of Deadliest Catch. The song appeared as the theme track to "The Final Hour," which was the season finale for the 2008 season. Lines of the song were inspired by accounts of life on the Bering Sea by Josh Harris of the Cornelia Marie and series Director of Photography Zac McFarlane.[12]

The song 'Between' by singer/songwriter Vienna Teng was used on a few episodes during season two.

They've used a lot of Celtic-ly inspired music on Deadliest Catch as well, with what sounds like mandolins, etc. Hard to say though as to what you heard. The "usual" theme is "Wanted Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi.
    "When I heard what Socrates had done on the lyre, I wished indeed even [I had done] that...but certainly I labored hard in letters!" - Cicero, "Cato the Elder on Old Age"
    Weber Gallatin Mahogany F
    19th Century Ferrari(?) Bowlback
    Early 20th Century British Mandoline-Banjo & Deering Goodtime Tenor
    1960s Harmony Baritone Ukelele
    The Magic Fluke Flea Soprano Ukelele (in 5ths!)
    1910 German Stradivarius 1717 copy, unknown maker
    1890(?) German Stradivarius 1725 copy, G.A. Pfreztschner, maker

I just saw that commercial myself. The song is Rise, by Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder, from the "Into the Wild" soundtrack. I liked it a lot.

LOL, just in case you wanted to know, here's how to play it on guitar:

I believe the song is by Eddie Vedder of Stone Temple Pilots.

Her is a YouTube tutorial.http://www.youtube.com/user/rjtaweel#p/u This was the theme song for a great movie called Into The Wild. If you haven't seen this movie.....WATCH IT.....TRUE STORY.

Thanks for the info. That is a great song!

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconBlues View Post
    I believe the song is by Eddie Vedder of Stone Temple Pilots.
    Eddie Vedder is a member of Pearl Jam.

Jeremy....You are correct....I just turned 59 a couple of days ago. When you get my age....those electrical pulses that jump across the synaptic junctions in my brain get a little sluggish. Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam.....THANKS for correcting my inaccurate statement.

Registered User Richard Morrison's Avatar

I learned this song on mando a few months ago...love it and still play it every time i practice.

Thanks for posting this. After hearing this from my wife several times "play something pretty like the music from the deadliest catch" I appreciate someone finding it for me or her depending on how you look at it. She's not into bluegrass like me

You have to sing in an earnest, Vedder-like way to make it perfect.

Some of the Youtube vids for this tune are.. not overly wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by nobullmando74 View Post
    Thanks for posting this. After hearing this from my wife several times "play something pretty like the music from the deadliest catch" I appreciate someone finding it for me or her depending on how you look at it. She's not into bluegrass like me
    We all know that Bluegrass ain't always purty.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Galloway View Post
    This was the theme song for a great movie called Into The Wild. If you haven't seen this movie.....WATCH IT.....TRUE STORY.
    Great song. Love it. Not so sure the story in the movie was fully accurate. Starvation might have been the cause of death.

He was so terribly ill equipped to survive in the wild. Although - it is pretty hard to call it wilderness if your living in a old bus. Sad that he hadn't developed the requisite respect for the power of nature and the requisite skills to stay alive. If only he had taken the time to learn from people who can and do survive in the wild. He would have been fine. Terrible tragedy.

Many good men and women exploring the arctic met a similar fate. As the failures mounted they began to realize that they could not succeed without the help of the native peoples who made their lives in the arctic for ions. It is sad indeed that those competent people never received the credit due them for the successful exploration of the far north.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gerety View Post
    Great song. Love it. Not so sure the story in the movie was fully accurate. Starvation might have been the cause of death.
    It IS a great movie, and pretty true to the book. Chris McCandless did die of starvation; Jon Krakauer's suggeestion that he was poisoned by eating the wrong plant has been pretty thoroughly debunked. Here's a link to an article explaining why: http://dev.ticetech.com/into-the-wil...-plant-fables/

But, as I said, it is a great movie, and a great book. Eddie Vedder's soundtrack is mesmermizing.

So, is the Deadliest Catch a fishing show? (No TV here, but I'm wondering what kind of show would use Vedder's song.)

It's a reality show about several boats fishing for opelio and king crab in the Bering (sp) sea off north Alaska. Very dangerous occupation. Terrible weather, hazardous equipment, dangerously macho crews. Gets a little dull after several episodes. Vedder is making some interesting music, though.
    Mike Snyder

My dad did the "Deadliest Catch" bit back in the late 80s as a US observer on Japanese fishing trawlers in the Bering. He had quite the time. We've got a picture of him onboard one of the trawlers holding a monstrous squid they pulled up. That stuff is dangerous work.
    "When I heard what Socrates had done on the lyre, I wished indeed even [I had done] that...but certainly I labored hard in letters!" - Cicero, "Cato the Elder on Old Age"

so, who has the tabs?

Bulldog #24

The tab at Ultimate-Guitar doesn't tell the whole story of the tune; there's a lot of fingerwork in addition to the basic G-C-D progression.

This guy's got it down pat; just watched this and can now play it so that it sounds like the actual recording:

Last edited by Mandoviol; Apr-14-2010 at 1:04am. Reason: Brain f@rt re embedding video

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lance K. View Post
    I just saw that commercial myself. The song is Rise, by Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder, from the "Into the Wild" soundtrack. I liked it a lot.
    Probably worth mentioning that's also Vedder on the mandolin. The credits say he plays ALL instruments on the soundtrack except for additional guitar by Jerry Hannan on another track ('Society'). Pretty impressive.

Blog Entries

Its a very powerful song. I don't know if I would characterize the mandolin playing as pretty. Its edgy, its very effective for how simple it is. But "pretty" isn't the description that comes to mind.

I like that the mandolin gets a wider and more diverse reputation through songs like this.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....