Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Obscure, solid Mandolin Players

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Obscure, solid Mandolin Players

Ha ha ha - FINALLY someone on this list I've seen, albeit in a non-mandolin capacity. (Not counting non-obscure players, and Jay Ungar and Peter Ostroushko are not obscure, to me, anyway.) The first time I saw Tom Petty the opening act on the tour was The Georgia Satellites (remember them?). And the opening act for that night's show was The Del Fuegos, being a fairly well-known regional act. I assume he played guitar that night. BTW, his album "Catch That Train!" won the 2007 Grammy Award for Best Musical Album for Children.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    But the mandolin on [Amy's] debut album is by Adam Sherba...I don't know why she didn't stick with him...
    Amy is a gem - I had the pleasure of working with her for a while. Missoula is loaded with fine mandolin players and others -

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Yes, she is. I have to do a little more research and then I'll post about her. Adam Sherba played on just her first album, then all following mandolin work was by Mason Tuttle. He's excellent. But Adam's style is similar to mine, which may be why I liked it so much.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    I'll add Dan Zanes (formerly with the Del Fuegos). He now does Americana music for kids and has a bunch of albums many that feature him (on a sweet old Gibson A-oval). He used to have concert/dance parties for kids with his band and my kids loved them. SO much of kids music is awful and NONE of this is awful.

Jamie
    When our oldest boy (now 21) was little, he watched a lot of kids programming and I remember seeing Dan Zanes on sometimes between shows. The songs were always catchy and good songs on their own, and not just for kids. I used to have one of his CDs around here somewhere. His version of "Leaving Liverpool" is really good.

5. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Ha ha ha - FINALLY someone on this list I've seen, albeit in a non-mandolin capacity. (Not counting non-obscure players, and Jay Ungar and Peter Ostroushko are not obscure, to me, anyway.) The first time I saw Tom Petty the opening act on the tour was The Georgia Satellites (remember them?). And the opening act for that night's show was The Del Fuegos, being a fairly well-known regional act. I assume he played guitar that night. BTW, his album "Catch That Train!" won the 2007 Grammy Award for Best Musical Album for Children.
    Yes Dan plays Guitar mostly but open back banjo and mandolin and traded off with others in his band on stage. Look for Dan Zanes and Friends album Rocket Ship Beach - my favorite track on there is Erie Canal with Suzanne Vega. While not mando heavy the Sea Music record is probably my favorite of them all.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +