Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obscure, solid Mandolin Players

Blog Entries

Default Re: Obscure, solid Mandolin Players

Here in North Carolina. Dewey Farmer, Herb Lambert { used to could play like anybody famous, every lick}, Rick Allred { mandolin player for Summer Wages}, and I won 1st place at Union Grove Fiddler's Convention once long ago { does that count ? }, ain't the picker now I was back then though. And Jerry Stewart { a great mandolin picker, wrote a tune called Galax long, long ago{ it's in F#minor }, dang good tune, great chord progression. Jerry and myself are the only two people I know of that knows that tune. I've been showing it to people for years, it is great tune for mando, fiddle, banjo, guitar, and dobro, pretty good tempo. Josh Pickett from Virginia right across the state line, not only a solid mandolin picker, but a hoss on the guitar also. Theys a bunch of good pickers here in my neck of the woods, always has been. Got a young guy in his lower 30's plays guitar in our band, and is good, but he sings and sounds just like a younger Russel Moore. That boy could do it for a living if he wanted to, he's that good.

"Travers Chandler is a real standout. He is influenced by the sounds of players like Buzz Busby, Red Rector, Frank Wakefield, and of coarse Bill Monroe. He is one of the few young mandolin players that has learned to play these traditional styles. I highly recommend his album "State Of Depression" on Patuxent records where he captures the sound and soul of what is becoming known as "Baltimore Barroom Bluegrass"."

There was a thread on here not that long ago about the "Best of 2010", or something along that line. A lot of "big name" releases were mentioned. I had heard most of them, and, to my mind, they were good but somewhat "ho-hum". Nothing that really GRABBED me.

Then I listened to "State of Depression" by Travers.

Folks, this release blows the big boys away. Fine singing, fine playing (especially Travers on the mandolin), a great choice of material for the album's theme, and a dynamite album cover too boot.

Travers gets my nod for THE BEST release of 2010, hands down.

Great work!

- John

A friend of mine & a fellow 'Cafe member was talking to Mike Compton at the Sore Fingers Summer School last year over here in the UK. As my friend had had a lesson with Jesse Cobb,the Mandolin player from the Infamous Stringdusters at Wintergrass last year,he mentioned him to Mike Compton. Mike went on to say that Jesse Cobb's brother could leave Jesse cold on Mandolin,but he doesn't play with anybody. Do any of you know anything about him?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ron Webb is the best I've heard. Played with the Hazel River Band years back. A super picker and 'tasteful.'

Bob
    re simmers

Some under-the-radar/don't-get-the-big-press pickers:

Ron Pennington
    Gordon Titcombe
    Dempsey Young
    Joe Cravan
    Ray Legere
    Bobby Clark
    Marc McGlashan
    Jordan Ramsey

Ivan, I believe Mike was referencing Shad Cobb, Jesse's brother and a superb fiddler, who played with Mike Snider on the Opry and is touring with the John Cowan Band last I checked. Shad is a beast on fiddle, but I have not had the pleasure of hearing him pick mando. Jesse is one of my favorite contemporary pickers, so Shad must really be something!
    I laid the tracks, never rode the train.

here's a fun clip of Nathan Livers at First Quality doing a little impromptu with Paul Duff. Watch Paul and his guitar player when Nathan takes off on it... some clean pickin right there...

Quote Originally Posted by J.Albert View Post
    "Travers Chandler is a real standout. He is influenced by the sounds of players like Buzz Busby, Red Rector, Frank Wakefield, and of coarse Bill Monroe. He is one of the few young mandolin players that has learned to play these traditional styles. I highly recommend his album "State Of Depression" on Patuxent records where he captures the sound and soul of what is becoming known as "Baltimore Barroom Bluegrass"."

There was a thread on here not that long ago about the "Best of 2010", or something along that line. A lot of "big name" releases were mentioned. I had heard most of them, and, to my mind, they were good but somewhat "ho-hum". Nothing that really GRABBED me.

Then I listened to "State of Depression" by Travers.

Folks, this release blows the big boys away. Fine singing, fine playing (especially Travers on the mandolin), a great choice of material for the album's theme, and a dynamite album cover too boot.

Travers gets my nod for THE BEST release of 2010, hands down.

Great work!

- John
    If someone wanted to learn to play some traditional, hard core bluegrass mandolin, there is a few years worth of classic as well as original classic sounding licks to be gleaned from Travers' recording "State Of Depression". Warning! People that prefer watered down, mamby pamby bluegrass will probably be very disappointed with this project. However, if you don't find real bluegrass music offensive, you need to get a copy of this album.

Mandomax - Many thanks indeed. If Shad Cobb's as good as you say on Fiddle,it's not a great leap of the imagination to think that he could be a terrific Mandolin player as well - look at young Mike Cleveland for instance. Jesse Cobb is one of my favourite pickers as well, & the "Stringdusters" take the biscuit as being my favourite contemporary Bluegrass band. Their tune 'Chopping Can' is a favourite 'pick-along' tune of mine,
    Thanks again - Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Registered User Tracy Ballinger's Avatar

Dorsey Harvey.

Steve Smith came up in another thread. I don't like to think of him as obscure but I guess the whole mandolin world is relatively obscure.

They start playing at 45 seconds, hang with it.

What would be obscure? If they played any length of time on the road as a professional for pay mandolin player they can't be too obscure. A lot of the names I've seen so far fit into that category. Dave Apollon would be obscure when compared to Grisman or Monroe.

One of the meanings of obscure is 'inconspicuous',which in turn can mean ''not noticeable or prominent''. I'd say that there are quite a few Mandolin players who are 'known to us',who aren't necessarily ''noticeable or prominent'' in as much as they don't get a lot of press or mass attention. Barry Mitterhoff & Tom Rozum don't often get a mention on here,neither does Jimmy Gaudreau. Maybe 'obscure' was not the 'best' word & 'less prominent' a better term ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I just saw Mitterhoff with Hot Tuna in Marin last weekend. He played both acoustic & electric mandolins,
    as well a some fine tenor guitar. Jarma & Jack lay down some heavy groove to solo over, and he was enjoying himself. He is a very versatile & talented player.

What about Matt Mundy, who was the mandolin player on Bela Fleck's Tales from the acoustic planet volume 1. He also played for the Aquarium Rescue Unit. Apparently he doesn't really play much any more. But he was an awesome picker.

Then of course there is all of us--most of us anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by piratebob13 View Post
    What about Matt Mundy, who was the mandolin player on Bela Fleck's Tales from the acoustic planet volume 1. He also played for the Aquarium Rescue Unit. Apparently he doesn't really play much any more. But he was an awesome picker.
    +1. Great pick!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

This is about as obscure of mandolin pickers as you will find on this planet:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cokOdREpHgs

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

Nice pickin' Tom,

First mando player I ever met was Doug Bounsall from the SuperBluegrass album, he later played banjer and guitar with the Dillards for a spell. Very solid picker.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by piratebob13 View Post
    Yes indeed. A guy who's work should be way more well-known. Those two ARU albums, Mirrors Of Embarrassment & the live one have some of the greatest mandolin playing I've ever heard. Really great chordal work and those duo lines with the electric guitar...wow!

Quote Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
    here's a fun clip of Nathan Livers at First Quality doing a little impromptu with Paul Duff. Watch Paul and his guitar player when Nathan takes off on it... some clean pickin right there...

Thanks! I broke a string on that one!
    Nathan Livers
    Mandolin/Vocals
    Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper
    http://flamekeeperband.com/

As various people have already said, it's probably easier to name the non-obscure ones than the obscure ones. One that made my ears prick up although I never managed to pick up his name is the mandolin player who accompanied Laura Cantrell when she supported Ralph Stanley at the Barbican Centre in London in 2003. Her 30-minute set was broadcast on BBC television in early 2004 and was the first time I ever came across her -- a great performance from her and a band built around her mandolin player who had great tone, sympathetic playing and lots of good solos throughout. I can find only one track from that performance on Youtube (When The Roses Are In Bloom), and while it wasn't necessarily the track most showing off the mandolin player there are still a fair few good shots of him although mostly close-ups of his hands without showing the face:

Any idea who he is?

Martin

Well noticed Ed! I saw Nolan Faulkner once at the " Stringbean memorial BG festival" in Charlotte, MI. with Wendy Miller almost forty years ago. He has played on a number of sessions, and you just have to like the fact he did much of it with that three point!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

25. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Ivan, My friend Robert Bowlin who is no slouch as a instrumentalist, having won Winfield on fingerstyle guitar, placed 2nd to Steve Kaufman in flatpicking, oh & played fiddle for Bill Monroe, speaks very highly of Shadd Cobb. I'll get a chance to hear him myself this summer as he's teaching at the Nimblefingers.ca bluegrass & old time camp in Canada....maybe i'll hear him pick up a mandolin.

I would add Jake Jolliff to the list. He plays with Joy Kills Sorrow. Their music is dominated by their outstanding vocalist, Emily Beaton, but all the musicians are very very solid. Check them out on Facebook or their web site.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......